[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't heard much about it, except for one guy that claimed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: catch-22-cover.jpg (223 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
catch-22-cover.jpg
223 KB, 720x960
I haven't heard much about it, except for one guy that claimed it was one of the best books out there. Also, I know it's sort of a /lit/ meme. Am I in for something good?
>>
>>7715554

Yup, it's pretty hilarious
>>
>>7715554

Some people love it, some people hate it, some find it boring or confusing.

There are a lot of events in it but they're not presented in chronological order, rather each chapter more or less focuses around one character at a time. It's probably my favorite book and has been since I read it in high school.
>>
It's funny in an absurd and flippant sort of way, at least initially, but as you go along there's a gravity and desperation that starts sinking in until you get to the climax.
>>
>>7715595
>>7715604
Sounds like I'm in for an one of a kind sort of experience.
>>
I find it boring, personally. Maybe I'm too young to know. All my older friends like it.
>>
Its gay. You are much better off playing Call of Duty if you want to know real war.
>>
>>7715554
I enjoyed it a lot after the first read and definitely want to read it again in the future.
>>
>>7715554
hmm
>>
>>7715595
The only people I knew who didn't like catch-22 were low brow retards
>>
>>7716056
catch 22 relates to low-brow culture, you meant maybe "philistine"
>>
>>77160
Frogman canard: simple language can't be used to produce good writing and mandarin prose conotes intellectual superiority
>>
>>7715554
Really enjoyed it, the sequel, "Closing Time" is worth checking out as well
>>
>>7716063
maybe in 1961
nowadays most normies would get 6 pages in and go "what the FUCK" and throw it across the room and go watch reaction videos while eating cheetos and snorting loudly
>>
Some may find it boring at first, and put it down, but if you continue, you'll find it to be one of the best books you've ever read without you realizing it until the end. Just read it!
>>
>/lit/ meme
No
>good
Absolutely not
>>
>>7715655
Funny, I'm not enjoying it cause I think I'm too old for it
>>
The book can be very funny (although I didn't find it as hilarious as some say) and very sad. As someone else had said, as the story progresses a sense of despair is built and this is done very well. You will have to pay attention to all of the characters.

I loved it, but to me it's a very strange book - different to anything I've read before and hard to compare.

Also, if you're someone like me who looks up the definition of every word they don't understand this will be a bitch.
>>
>>7715554
The first time I read it in High School I didn't know it was meant to be funny and so didn't read it as such. I found it immensely boring and pointless.

The second time I read it I understood the jokes and found it hilarious. This may have something to do with maturing also
>>
>>7715554
I loved it. People say it is confusing, but I found it pretty easy because I never tried to remember all the character's names or try to make sense of it in any kind of meaningful way.
It didn't matter though. I was constantly laughing throughout the book and was just enjoying the humor at face value.

The underlying themes were very easy to pick up on. I bet you could guess what they are with only limited knowledge of the book and no knowledge of the plot.
>>
It's great
Very amusing, and as others having pointed out, it will end up smacking you right in the feeler
>>
>>7716127
Yea, philistines
>>
It's great.
Heller is great.
Something Happened and Good as Gold are also great.

TS Elliot
>>
File: FB_IMG_1455972448490.jpg (18 KB, 500x610) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455972448490.jpg
18 KB, 500x610
The book is great, it has some humor but ultimately it's a depressing novel.

Read it.

Don't even try Closing Time though.
>>
>>7716127
>6 pages
I know a hipster girl trying to be cultured who gave up after one
>>
>>7715554
i read it during a brief trip to kansas a few years back. it was ok, just some relatively soft hitting satire of war. it is considred a classic novel but its not nearly as profound a work of genius as gravitys rainbow or the like
>>
>look at this quirky character
>here's another quirky mad soldier
>quirky doctor
>lmao so funne
That was all I got from the few pages I read. I flase started it like 3 times. Going to read it entirely one day.
>>
>>7715554
I love it: it's my favorite book.

It's structured like the insanity it portrays, and maybe that's why it spoke to me: at the time I was stuck inside a giant machine of a company and the institutional madness really struck a chord. People think it's all about humor like this dumbass >>7721306 and never finish it.

Cold.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.