[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Joyce hint at gay sex in A Portrait?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: jamie98.jpg (130 KB, 490x350) Image search: [Google]
jamie98.jpg
130 KB, 490x350
Did Joyce hint at gay sex in A Portrait?
>>
>Citation
>>
>>7715290
>You are very young, my child, he said, and let me implore of you to give up that sin. It is a terrible sin. It kills the body and it kills the soul. It is the cause of many crimes and misfortunes. Give it up, my child, for God's sake. It is dishonourable and unmanly. You cannot know where that wretched habit will lead you or where it will come against you. As long as you commit that sin, my poor child, you will never be worth one farthing to God.

This comes at the end of chapter 3, during the confession. Notice how the priest speaks only of "that sin" separating it from the other sins, calling it "unmanly".
>>
>>7715327
Masturbation?
>>
>>7715327
You need more quote because this might as well be any number of sins.
>>
>>7715327
he fucks whores mate
>>
>>7715334
He had a serious thing for prostitutes if I remember correctly
>>
>>7715327
He says it in association with youth; it's masturbation. I'm a fag, too, bro, but not everybody was bum-partying at 14 y.o.
>>
Well he had already confessed sleeping with prostitutes and married women before that, so we know that he was definitely capable of bum-partying with anyone at 16
>>
>>7715335
>>7715334

He lists most other sins right before that, including vanity, gluttony, disobedience, envy, sleeping with married women and masturbation. Sodomy is not mentioned in the this confession at all, but this passage >>7715327 surely hints at it. And with the emphasis on it being "unmanly".

The full confession:
>How long is it since your last confession, my child?

>A long time, father.

>A month, my child?

>Longer, father.

>Three months, my child?

>Longer, father.

>Six months?

>Eight months, father.

>He had begun. The priest asked:

>And what do you remember since that time?

>He began to confess his sins: masses missed, prayers not said, lies.

>Anything else, my child?

>Sins of anger, envy of others, gluttony, vanity, disobedience.

>Anything else, my child?

>There was no help. He murmured:

>I... committed sins of impurity, father.

>The priest did not turn his head.

>With yourself, my child?

>And... with others.

>With women, my child?

>Yes, father.

>Were they married women, my child?

>He did not know. His sins trickled from his lips, one by one, trickled in shameful drops from his soul, festering and oozing like a sore, a squalid stream of vice. The last sins oozed forth, sluggish, filthy. There was no more to tell. He bowed his head, overcome.

>The Priest was silent. Then he asked:

>How old are you, my child?

>Sixteen, father.

>The priest passed his hand several times over his face. Then, resting his forehead against his hand, he leaned towards the grating and, with eyes still averted, spoke slowly. His voice was weary and old.
>>
Look, it's possible, but it's also possible that his dad raped him and he suppressed the memory, point is there's plenty of meat to the subtext already without grasping for gayness
>>
File: csm_JamesJoyce001_c69bb425bc.jpg (107 KB, 1560x2084) Image search: [Google]
csm_JamesJoyce001_c69bb425bc.jpg
107 KB, 1560x2084
Why does Jimmy always look so miserable in his pictures?
>>
>>7715364
With women friend, it says he fugged married women, or possibly married. That's unmanly for Catholics.
>>
>>7715372
TELL ME ABOUT JOYCE
WHY DOES HE WEAR THE EYEPATCH?
>>
>>7715372
Does he have that eye patch because his wife farted in his eye too many times?
>>
It was sleeping with prostitutes.
But I'm pretty sure it is hinted near the end of the book that Cranly had a romantic interest in Steven. At the end of the second last chapter as I recall.
"...not even one person to be more than a friend?"
"To whom are you referring?"
>>
Pretty sure there was hint about priest rape. When kids were talking about what was sin of some boys, soon before Stephen getting slapped in hand
>>
>>7715372
was Jamba the most effay author ever?
>>
Young Torless does the being gay in intern school better shtick though

Still love Portrait
>>
>>7715327
Doesn't that happen after he confesses to sleeping with a prostitute?
>>
>>7715372
he was depressed during those years if I recall it right. His eyes were bugging him and his daughter was going crazy plus there was a lot of criticism about the book he spent years writing
>>
>>7715525
>>7715536

he had eye surgeries or w/e
>>
When the kids at the school were punished for "smugging" it's heavily implied it was them doing gay shit. Look up usage of the word esp around joyce times.
>>
Its not gay if you're shitfaced drunk.
>>
>>7715364
Jesus Christ your thinking is limited as fuck
>>
>>7715772
na if i remember right its that they both fancy the same burd
>>
>>7715283

>ctrl+f
>smugging
>one result, just recently

Thank goodness, someone beat me too it-just barely, though.

There is a passage where some of the boys speak in hushed tones about some other boys who got expelled/disciplined, and they didn't know why. Someone in the group finally says "smugging." If you read the Penguin, there's a footnote which makes perfectly clear that this means "gay shit", if not necessarily sodomy.

As a homo myself, this is one of the few parts of the book that I actually remember, along with the description of hell. I only read it once, I think in college, for pleasure. Basically my reading approach was all wrong, I realized I didn't know anything about Ireland beyond the "Welp they're Catholics on a potato-famined island" fundamentals. So I had this idea that I would get the Irish context/history along the way. So every single time there was a footnote I'd turn to the back, then back to the body of text rather than just, y'know, reading the book. In retrospect, this had the disastrous effect of breaking up the book so that I barely remember any of it.

Except for the bit about smugging, I know exactly what that was all about.
>>
>>7715772
I definitely got that vibe from their conversation at the end of Portrait. Stephen shuts him down pretty hard though. If I recall correctly, he thinks about Cranly in contempt at some point in Ulysses as well.
>>
who #teamTemple here? What a glorious shitposter irl
>>
>>7716738
Buck Mulligan is the shitpost king
>>
Read At Swim, Two Boys if you want full homo written in a heavily Joyce-influenced style.
>>
>>7715283
Did gay sex hint at a portrait in Joyce?
>>
>smugging
>>
>>7715372
He looks damn handsome tho.
>>
>>7715525
>>7715536

He was basically blind in one eye.
>>
>>7715372
He had a tough childhood. And he grew up in Ireland. Also his daughter went crazy. And he had eye surgery, which was pretty brutal during those times.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.