[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the worst book you've ever read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 45
File: 9717[1].jpg (41 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
9717[1].jpg
41 KB, 316x475
What is the worst book you've ever read?
>>
probably Taipei
>>
the name of the rose - italian dan brown
>>
Pet Sematary. I still can't believe I actually read that shit.
>>
shantaram
>>
Eat. Pray. Love.
There are a couple of members in my book club that have some of the shittiest tastes imaginable.
>>
My first novel.
>>
>>7714685
p-pic unrelated?
>>
>>7714748
I'm halfway through it and it is fucking grueling. It just reads so pretentious yet content-less to me. It reminds me of Murakami.
>>
File: souless.png (156 KB, 235x379) Image search: [Google]
souless.png
156 KB, 235x379
either pick related or Embasseytown by China Mieville
Souless was Victorian geek erotica, and left me with a hatred of both geeks and steampunk.
Embasseytown was just a convoluted mess that had gallons of plot holes.
I had to read them for a sci-fi literature class, and those were the last two. Terrible, and we had some final project at the end, and some feminists gave a terrible presentation and avoided all the criticisms.

>>7714693
Movie wasn't bad though. Kind of went on.
>>
>>7714688
This one was pretty bad

On the Road is the worst book i've read in recent memory though
>>
>>7714685
Girls who like Kundera are sluts.

>>7714784
>left me with a hatred of both geeks and steampunk
So it was highly educational.
>>
>>7714760
I'm gonna assume that you're overselling your opinion on the book to fit in, but this is really a silly post anon.
I agree that it isn't that great but you would have to be an idiot to say it's content-less
>>
>>7714864
Honestly, it would have been if our professor had been honest about what it was.
Instead, she tried to sell us that it was 'just a different kind of fantasy' and to 'give it a shot'

I don't use the term 'Mary Sue' very often, but... the main character was a Mary Sue.
>Woman in alt. hist. Victorian London, with Vampires and Werewolves
>Is a big deal because she likes science
I can't stress how hammered in it was that she 'loved science' and was ostracized for it.
>Is special-she has no soul!
>that means that she has 'no creativity' (more science boner)
>And also that if werewolves or vampires touch her, they turn normal while doing so!
>Rubs elbows with head vampires and werewolves
>ends up marrying head werewolf because he 'can't control himself' when he's around her, and sloppy makeouts.

It was bad, dawg.
>>
not counting shit I read as a kid, Wuthering Heights
>>
>>7714908
Wuthering Heights is the only book I can think of that I began and never finished. Quit about two thirds of the way through. The characters were all just miserable pieces of shit who did literally nothing but try to make everyone around them even more miserable. I hated them all, and not in an interesting way that adds to the story, but in a way that just made me never want to read another chapter.
>>
Mrs. Dalloway. Fuck that book and fuck people who think it's good.
>>
Jurassic park the lost world
>>
Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk
absolute garbage
>>
Malazan Book of the Fallen
>>
>>7714952
>>7714908
>miserable characters
I think that was kind of the point, that these people might have been happy if they hadn't been so petty and prideful.

I usually think of it when I hear people talking about drama and relationships.
>>
>>7714760
>pretentious

Opinion discarded.
>>
File: 123467456767982.jpg (178 KB, 1280x787) Image search: [Google]
123467456767982.jpg
178 KB, 1280x787
>>7714760
I can agree with this somewhat, but you're going too far

>It reminds me of Murakami

YOU TAKE THAT SHIT BACK RIGHT NOW
>>
>>7715000
I would have appreciated that if the assholes had some more relatable people mixed in for contrast, but there were none. Looking back it's like a more eloquent Real Housewives show -- they all have so little happening of any real substance in their lives that they focus all their time on dramatic bullshit to ruin one another on purpose.
>>
>>7714685

Your mother's diary.
>>
>>7714784
Why didn't you read good sf for the class like Zelanzy or Wolfe?
>>
Probably Old Man's War, Name of the Wind and White Noise.
>>
>>7714688
Agreed
>>
>>7714784
What didn't you like about Embassytown?
>>
>>
>>7715057
this should be a rule
>>
File: doomsday-cover-2.jpg (92 KB, 666x1004) Image search: [Google]
doomsday-cover-2.jpg
92 KB, 666x1004
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.
Not the worst, but after reading how great it was, and how well researched, and i did really like the premise, it was the worst letdown.
It just went on and on without anything happening, with really uninteresting characters, and bad future tech(there's time travel, but no cellphones, or any other means of communication than wired phones). 90% of the book is someone trying to reach someone to talk to them but can't.

Second one is Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Same reason. It's just an overhyped infodump, this time with a self insert geek power fantasy main character.

Third is Kőszívű Ember Fiai by Jókai Mór. Probably no one outside of Hungary heard of it. But it was mandatory reading when i was a kid, and it nearly made me hate all of literature. So there's that.
>>
Taipei or Naked Lunchd
>>
>>7714685
The Woods are Dark - Richard Laymon

It's pulp, obviously. I wasn't expecting much and I was still let down.

tfw you're compelled to finish every book you start and can't abandon anything, even if it's bollocks.
>>
>>7714784
I thought Embassytown was goddamn beautiful. Spanish Dancer's speech had me on the verge of tears.

"Before the humans came we didn't speak so much of certain things..."

Really actually fucks me up, that speech.
>>
>>7715262
This. Name of the Wind was horrible. Genius "Holier-than-thou" protagonists piss me right off.
>>
>>7714685
breakfast of champions
>>
Wuthering Heights
>>
>>7714988
Yes. This was the book that made 17 year old me stop reading palahniuk. I don't know anybody in my personal life that has finished it.
>>
Would be a better thread if you guys explained why the book was the worst you have read, rather than just throwing out a title.
>>
Without listing the obvious like Ender's Game, I thought Henry Roth's Call it Sleep and Lowry's Under the Volcano were literary enough to seriously consider horrible literary works. Boring as fuck. Stylistically dead in the water 20 years after the fact. So pandering to Joyce and Faulkner it was unbearable. The content was dull. They were the antithesis to why I love art and literature as a whole.
>>
Palahniuk - Choke and BEE - Less than Zero. If I had read both when I was 15 I would have probably like them
>>
Palahniuk's Snuff was legit the worst thing he's ever written and I say this while having read the entirety of Pygmy.
>>
Neuromancer. And I really tried to like it.
>>
>>7715596
I thought Embassytown was really good too, though I wasn't sold on the ending.
>>
File: 4L_u4bFwdTK.jpg (28 KB, 181x278) Image search: [Google]
4L_u4bFwdTK.jpg
28 KB, 181x278
Felt I needed to read because of the hype surrounding it. It was so fucking average and a total slog to get through it. Only Stephen King fans could enjoy such mediocrity.
>>
>>7715603
This
It's like Vonnegut made a parody of himself with that book
>>
>>7714685
you already put up the pic OP
>>
File: badbook.jpg (1 MB, 1524x2339) Image search: [Google]
badbook.jpg
1 MB, 1524x2339
I can't believe I'm saying this but I preferred the film adaptation over the book
>>
Ficciones by the Argentinian Murakami.
>>
Why I Write - George Orwell

Literally one page of vague motivations followed by an incoherent ramble, promoting leftist cuckoldry and blind emotional appeals to ideological conformity.
>>
>>7714693
Is that serious? I heard a lot about the book, it was my next reading.
>>
File: archer.jpg (12 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
archer.jpg
12 KB, 210x240
>>7715119
That...
Is a really good point actually.

>>7715257
I don't know. Ask our professor

>>7715442
>>7715596

It never said when it was talking about the present or past, and switched at seemingly random parts. The plot is solved by 'Oh wait, the aliens can suddenly speak and understand english now' out of literally nowhere. There was more, but I've been on medication since I've read it, and tried not to remember it too much.

China had such a good premise, but he can't write it clearly. He's like a real life Kilgore Trout.
>>
File: 283403805.jpg (21 KB, 211x320) Image search: [Google]
283403805.jpg
21 KB, 211x320
Probably this, but honorable mention goes to Shoplifting from American Apparel and pretty much anything by Palahniuk or BEE.
>>
My diary desu
>>
File: 418rxNCl2rL._SY400_.jpg (19 KB, 299x400) Image search: [Google]
418rxNCl2rL._SY400_.jpg
19 KB, 299x400
Gimmicks/10 and worst female characters I've ever read
>>
>>7716074

Honestly if you are the type of person that uses the words "leftists" and "cuck" I'm not really surprised you didn't like Orwell, maybe next time stick to Evola and Rand.

also kek'ing at you accusing the dude that wrote nineteen fucking eightyfour of promoting ideological conformity, how retarded can a single person get.
>>
>>7716228
>desu
Kill yourself
>>
>>7716303
>ultra neufag that doesn't know to be honest gets translated to desu

perhaps u r the one who should consider suicide friend
>>
File: 10.1.2013!p!Meme.jpg (20 KB, 324x400) Image search: [Google]
10.1.2013!p!Meme.jpg
20 KB, 324x400
>>7714952
I am reading Wuthering Heights right now. i try to read that book, it is hard to read because i dont like her wrtting style. It seems that alot of people like that book because i heard it was best selling or something and i thought i was the only one who doesnt really like it that much but i think you are right.
>>
Enduring Love. More like Enduring Hate.
>>
>>7716314
This desu
>>
The Corrections
>>
File: lastthings1.jpg (34 KB, 280x444) Image search: [Google]
lastthings1.jpg
34 KB, 280x444
I loved The New York Trilogy so i decied to check more things of the author, and was very disappointed, the dystopian world it describes has to be among the silliest things i have read.
>>
>>7714685
Worst "good" book has to be this or Madame Bovary

Worst genre fiction is very difficult, as the later RA Salvatore forgotten realms books are truly garbage made for non-readers, and actually ended my love of fantasy.
>>
>>7714719
Not saying its a good book but

>Precocious reader early on
>Run out of children's books
>mom gives me Pet Semetary
>get to the child's funeral
>i start crying and throw the book down

This was 4th grade and rereading it now probably wouldnt give the same effect, but that shit was terrifying.
>>
>>7715630
Less than Zero has a bigger effect when you know people like him.

I gave that book to a girl who lived the same lifestyle as a tongue in cheek criticism. She naturally didnt read it but threw it on the coffee table. Her mom ended up reading it and using it as a basis to criticize her.
>>
I remember being really put off by Catcher in the Rye. I probably would have liked it if I was an angsty teen, but alas, at 23 years of age I couldn't really relate to the main character at all. He just came across as a pathetic fagget that didn't want to grow up (which I guess is the theme of the book but still).
>>
>>7714760
I don't know how much books from Kundera are translated to English, but I've read a lot from him in Czech and Unbearable Ligtness of Being is definitely Best from what I've read from his works.
I cried at the end.
>>
en tid for alt by karl ove knausgård

I get mad just thinking about it
>>
File: N_G_Chernyshevsky.jpg (1 MB, 1281x1636) Image search: [Google]
N_G_Chernyshevsky.jpg
1 MB, 1281x1636
What is to be done? by N.G. Chernyshevsky.

Good for tracking the development of Russian literary and social thought, and not much else. The characters are shallow archetypes, which only weakens the effect of Chernyshevsky's argument. Also doesn't help that the author interrupts the text here and there to comment on how he knows he can't write worth shit. Irritating as fuck.
>>
>>7716642
>the character was unlikeable

so not the fucking point, ky
>>
not so much the worst book but the most disappointing considering how much it's referred to in popular culture today. prose leaves a lot to be desired and overall i found the writing to be more boring than a menu full of cheap pub grub

that said, i really liked the last ~10 or so pages.
>>
>>7716028
A lot if shitty books make good movies.
>>
>>7715449
>>7715449
Fucking shit taste go reevaluate your life. I never post but I have got to call you out for terrible readership.
>>
>>7715623
fight club - palahniuk is cool. try to read it, even have a movie with Edward Norton and Brad Pitt
>>
Pic related. Fuck you, I was young and had just finished Tolkien.
Honorable mention:
Confederacy/Dunces
Catcher/Rye
Zen/Motorcycle
>>
File: IMG_20160219_135659.jpg (153 KB, 645x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160219_135659.jpg
153 KB, 645x960
>>7716815
Forgot pic
>>
>>7714988
Palahniuk is garbage anyway. He's YA pulp fiction.
>>
the fountainhead by rand. the only book I've read by her. I won't read another.
>>
>>7716290
I have no idea how Evola even got so popular with /pol/-types. He was racist and conservative, yes, but a lot of his ideas come from kooky Eastern mysticism that you'd think they'd be opposed to.
>>
>>7716559
I think Auster might've peaked with The New York Trilogy, which is kinda sad considering those are some of his earliest books.
>>
>>7715603
>>7716008

Even Vonnegut graded that book as like a "C" for him.

>>7716241

HoL was a book I really enjoyed maybe a third of, and then could not be fucked to finish.
>>
File: LeGuin_AWizardOfEarthsea.jpg (1 MB, 1339x2178) Image search: [Google]
LeGuin_AWizardOfEarthsea.jpg
1 MB, 1339x2178
I'm dad had a full collection of her books and somehow i ended up reading one of them. What a dreadful thing.
>>
I remember loving Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, for some reason I really liked it the first time I readed it.

The second read made it all worse, not even a year after. I couldn´t believe I liked that crap.
>>
hey guys// jeff the killer- the picture- I need to know if he is real or not so please let me know with any conclusive evidence!
>>
Pylon by Faulkner. Love most of his books, but that was pure shit.
>>
>>7715479
>Not appreciating Beat literature
Overcultured Bourgeoisie.
>>
>>7714801
Kerouac is "dude weed"-tier literature. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.
>>
>>7717398
Maybe its a regional thing, I'm from near Lowell so I grew up with a similar mindset and shit, I'm just not an alcoholic (yet)
>>
>>7716559

i read a book by him called Leviathan that was one of the worst books i've read, also.
>>
>>7714685
the alchemist
>>
>>7717430
True. Coelho just tries to seem deep and mysterious by having absolutely no reasoning behind his prose.
>>
File: Mein Kampf.jpg (35 KB, 334x499) Image search: [Google]
Mein Kampf.jpg
35 KB, 334x499
It's a meme for a reason. Got 100 pages in having to read it for a class and never looked back. Nonsensical, tangential ideas somehow connected by rambling, indecipherable language. I lol'd reading the preface where the translator said he made an effort to make Hitler's text more intelligible.
>>
>>7717418
I'm FROM Lowell, and an alcoholic, and I still think Kerouac is a moron
>>
>>7716074
If I remember my history correctly that written for himself I believe, and was later published when he became famous
>>7716290
>If You use certain words I don't like you're wrong.
>How dare you accuse of someone of being a hypocrite even though he was known to be severely hypocritical!
>>7717257
>Racist
>Conservative
Proven for not even having read Evola, nor understand Evola. Complete Pseudo-Intellectual.

>/pol/ is one person.
Evola's appeal doesn't come from his mysticism.
>>
>>7717511
Sorry you feel that way, Merrimac valleyfag
>>
>>7717503
Most translations are pretty shit.
What else is new with translations though?

>made an effort to make Hitler's text more intelligible.
Now that just makes me think the translators edited to make it look that way. I've seen two different translated Mein Kampf and they were radically different.
>>
>>7714952
>i didn't like the book because i didn't like the characters
>>
>>7717356
this was like a list minute reading in grade 9 english, like literally maybe 2 or 3 weeks of the semester left. we weren't tested on it so no one read it, and those who tried (like me) gave up almost immediately because it was so dreadful.

didn't help that right before most of the class had just finished Ender's Game.

anywho, I still don't know what led me to pick up The Bridges of Madison County in the first place, or why I read it entire, but that one was pretty atrocious. Little Bee, another highschool book, also kinda sucked.
>>
can't decide between V, gravity's rainbow and the crying of lot 49
>>
>>7714693
>>7716190
no, the name of the rose is much deeper and has literary value
>>
>>7717534
Doesn't really help when the source material itself is pretty much garbage. I understand the meme that translations are shit, but really, I've talked to German professors who find it just as unintelligible as it is translated in English.

Also Manheim, the translator for my copy, explicitly said that he tried to make the book more intelligible, not less. Not sure why he'd make it harder to read when it's already formidable. (Didn't know there were so many English translations though, that's interesting)
>>
>>7717524
There's decent Kerouac out there, I like Tristessa a lot. But On The Road and Dharma Bums are high school stoner literature.
>>
>>7714864
>girls who like Kundera are sluts
>tfw I am dating someone who loved the book...

she has dem 75G's do

what do lit
>>
>>7717576
Don't get dating advice from /lit/.
>>
The Kite Runner.
>>
>>7716693
>implying the character of the main person doesn't correlate with the theme of the book

top pleb
>>
>>7717377
What the fuck, go to /x/, you knob head
>>
>>7716728
I actually agree with you. I didn't think 1984 nor Brave New World were really that great. I mean they were foreboding and had some great cultural relevancy because they sensed deeper tendencies within our society which we seemed to strive towards. Nevertheless I didn't like the writing style and the book didn't captivate me at all.
>>
>>7717544
>hurr did jesus laugh??
>he dreams he goes into a giant vagina xd
>deliberate archaisms

also there's repeated references to new world plants that would not have been present in europe at the time of writing. cornfather
>>
To the fags that didn't like Wuthering Heights: kill urselves my men
>but the characters aren't relatable!
What a plebbish excuse
>>
>>7717598
it has its defects but you can't compare it to dan brown
>>
>>7717613
this
>expecting to relate to characters from a book written 170 years ago
>reading to relate to the characters
>i didn't like the book because i didn't like the characters xd
>>
File: siggebok.jpg (72 KB, 393x606) Image search: [Google]
siggebok.jpg
72 KB, 393x606
>>7714685
>>
File: 9782070369218.jpg (3 MB, 1276x2102) Image search: [Google]
9782070369218.jpg
3 MB, 1276x2102
Pic related, maybe not the worst but I hated.
>>
I've read a lot of schlock because, for a while, I'd read anything if it was:
>Dark
>Fantasy 'with a twist'
>Dystopian
Even teenage me had to put down a few books.
>Eragon, midway through the third book I just steadily realized the only reason why I was reading was because of the potential for more naked tattooed dancing elves, and when that became unlikely, I dropped the series.
>The Hunger Games, when I realized that they were shaping up the second book to be a retread of the first.
>Harry Potter, because once the series shifted from escapism to character driven drama, I figured out I didn't really care about the characters, and why should I start now?
>>
Literally anything by Jason Myers
>>
Silmarillion
>>
>>7714864
>Girls who like Kundera are sluts.
My ex wasnt a slut and she recc kundera to me
jokes on u nigga
>>
File: 1279165661008.jpg (16 KB, 293x208) Image search: [Google]
1279165661008.jpg
16 KB, 293x208
>>7717674
MOTHERFUCK WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU
>>
File: index.jpg (10 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10 KB, 181x279
This thing.
To be honest its been over 8 years since I read it but the incessant whining has stuck with me. Put me off of Canadian writers for a while.
>>
>>7714685
But for real what the fuck is wrong with Milan Kundera you pretencious fuck?
>>
>>7714685
Atlas Shrugged. The characters were cardboard cut-outs.
>>
>>7714957
Woah. What. A. Counter. Culture. Opinion. You. Are. Smart. Lmao.
>>
Infinite Jest
>>
>>7714693
lel rip in peace
>>
File: fghzsd.jpg (69 KB, 856x556) Image search: [Google]
fghzsd.jpg
69 KB, 856x556
>People getting upset at subjective opinions.

Anyhoo, "the winter room" by Gary Paulsen. I consider myself a patient man, but this made me flip my shit.
>>
>>7714957
I started it expecting the great Gatsby type shit but it was confusing so is stopped.
>>
File: bible.jpg (4 KB, 179x282) Image search: [Google]
bible.jpg
4 KB, 179x282
>>
File: God_delusion.jpg (18 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
God_delusion.jpg
18 KB, 333x500
>>7718968
>>
File: SubterraneansNovel.jpg (21 KB, 220x321) Image search: [Google]
SubterraneansNovel.jpg
21 KB, 220x321
this is pretencious boredom
>>
Honestly this abomination by Henry Winkler. Niagara Falls, or Does It? was part of some book report I read when I was in elementary school. I reread it a couple years ago for shits and giggles and I honestly thought it qualified for the definition of trash.
>>
>>7718926
Gary Paulsen has a pleasant book about pet dogs.
>>
File: BIRDS FROGS MOSQUITOES.png (3 MB, 1107x1765) Image search: [Google]
BIRDS FROGS MOSQUITOES.png
3 MB, 1107x1765
>>
>>7718984
DELETE THIS
>>
File: 1449529566833.jpg (23 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1449529566833.jpg
23 KB, 500x400
>>7717356
Pleb detected
>>
File: the martian.jpg (6 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
the martian.jpg
6 KB, 182x277
"15 pirate ninjas"
pic related

I'm not even memeing
>>
Heart of Darkness.
>>
>>7716652
I only read him in French, though I feel the same
>>
>>7714719
>>7716585
Honestly it's probably King's best book
Which isn't saying much
>>
>>7714693
Too soon

(or not soon enough)
>>
Tess of the d'Urbervilles
>>
>>7715479
Yeah Naked Lunchd sucked. Naked Lunch was great though.
>>
The Man in the High Castle was bad. I had to put it down 3/4 of the way through; I was open to the concept but something about Dick's writing style, especially his dialogue, did nothing for me.
>>
>>7714685
Tropic of Cancer
>>
>>7717588
Why? I thought it wasn't that bad
>>
>>7717588
I stole this book at a charity flea market for refugees.
haven't botered reading it yet and probably never will.
>>
>>7717589
The theme was supposed to be that the Holden is childish and stupid and that his ideology is misguided.

Regardless, you probably hated the book only because Reddit told you to.
>>
>>7720576
Warning: This post is too edgy
>>
File: 81a3oM3EcfL.jpg (452 KB, 1871x2560) Image search: [Google]
81a3oM3EcfL.jpg
452 KB, 1871x2560
>>7714685
Awful style and pretentious
>>
>>7719675

Man in the High Castle is in fact pretty annoying and garbage in terms of prose. And I actually like Dicks other stuff.
>>
>>7716642
I feel like anyone that didnt relate to this book or like it never understood what its like to be a shitty kid with a shitty attitude that made him alienated from everyone else, and to use 4chan words, you were always a normie chad.

Holden fucked girls and wasnt a sperg, he could communicate with people but he was pretty toxic in the sense that he had a pretty bad superiority complex, which he should imo. Phonys suck and are boring but at the same time if you reject the phonys completely then youre gonna be rejected back. You just gotta tolerate them.

Point being if you never wanted to cut off ties with all the painfully average, boring, mundane, poeple that filled your high school days, college days, working days, then youre probably one of those boring people yourself. And idk whats worse being one of them or being rejected by them
>>
>>7720739
>Holden fucked girls
He fucks his 6 yr old sister and that's it.
>>
>>7720750
Nah he had gfs and shit Im p sure. Then there was the girl he went on the date with.

But then again he did buy that hooker out of desperation but when push came to shove all he wanted to do was talk. So idk.

Its been a while I should reread it

Also dont talk bad about Phoebe wtf
>>
>>7715994

Gaiman is worse than Stephen King.
>>
>>7716028
>>7715630
I never read Less Than Zero but choke would definitely be up there. I loved tee movie Drive and hated the book.
>>
>>7714685
The alchemist - Paulo Coelho

>mfw i cant get back the time lost reading it
>>
House of Leaves and The Stand by Stephen King.

>>7720697
Come on, that book was at least fun as fuck.
>>
>>7715622
this
>>
>>7717356
This. I have no fucking idea why she is appreciated so much.
>>
>>7717521
he didn't say you're wrong, he just said you wouldn't like Orwell you dumb shit
telling fucks like you who bathe in ideology they're wrong is such a useless exercise
>>
File: 1439577905909.jpg (31 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
1439577905909.jpg
31 KB, 473x480
>>7720792
>The Stand
>>
Stephen King - The Stand
Steven Erikson - Gardens of the Moon
Couldn't finish "The Stand" because it was so bad.
>>
>>7717576
harpoon that poon all night
>>
File: kulchur.jpg (123 KB, 539x800) Image search: [Google]
kulchur.jpg
123 KB, 539x800
only worth reading if you want to get a better sense for his mind. otherwise...
>>
>>7715598
B- but the narrative structure
>>
>>7715994
First thing I thought of when I saw this thread. It was extraordinarily dull. The worst part was multiple people told me that it wasn't about the characters, but the story was based around the world building. Honestly, the world building was fairly shit too.
>>
>>7719095
Then what is so good about this book (or the series or the author)?
>>
>>7717534
>My favorite homeless artist isn't an incoherent wreck! I-i-it's just the translation, right guys? Surely /pol/ didn't lie to me!

get fucked, fascist
>>
>>7714685
Sword of Truth. I was young and foolish.
>>
>>7714760
sorry you feel that way. i have discarded your opinion but you have my sympathies nonetheless
>>
>>7714685
The Da Vinci Code, threw it in the fire and it wasn't even my copy. One of only two books I ever destroyed.
>>
>>7714760
>doesn't know what pretentious means
>>
>>7714685
fuk u m8 that book ruled
>>
>>7714719
>>7716585
why are you spelling it with an s is that an american thing or something?
>>
>>7717535
seems as a legitimate argument as any depending on what exactly he meant by saying he disliked the characters
>>
>>7714685

When I was in high school I read a YA novel about a girl dating a punk rock guy, except the author didn't really "get" punk culture and it was a mess.

Other than that I read another YA novel about some girl in traffic who kept imagining she was in the movie 8 1/2.

And then I read Franny and Zooey which was pretty bad.
>>
File: 4427591.jpg (71 KB, 313x468) Image search: [Google]
4427591.jpg
71 KB, 313x468
Fight me.
>>
>>7714725
why desu? i read it in high school and thought it was alright
>>
>>7722838

Stephen King, I think it was meant to make it seem creepier.
>>
File: woman_in_white.jpg (6 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
woman_in_white.jpg
6 KB, 181x279
this trash-book was unbearably boring.
similar to dickens in as much as wilkie collins was paid by the word to write one or two chapters to be released periodically in magazines but where dickens seemed to know when he'd be taking the piss by stretching it out too far this muhfucka just jams on, breathlessly listing the minutest details of a characters shirt button or somesuch
>>
>>7722895
i see i see thank you
>>
>>7722914
Dickens wasn't paid by the word, you redditor fag.
>>
>>7719580
>naked lunchd
By William Burghes
>>
Invisible Man
>>
This garbage, that I had to read for a uni class. It's literally about a jewish whore with aids. After the course I burnt it in a bonfire page by page
>>
>>7715892
Same. I might have missed the right time to read it, but I just couldn't connect with it.
>>
>>7714685
Milan Kundera is fucking piece of shit. Holy fucking damned shit for faggots
>>
>>7714685
Evgeny Zamyatin "We"
>>
>>7718968
I read this cover to cover. Revelations is the only fun bit.

>>7719473
From a Buick 8 is for sure his best imo
>>
>>7723763
>jewish whore with aids
why did i laugh at this?
>>
>The Secret
Seriously, you can't just tell your readers that they have some magical power without providing any proof at all and then expect them to believe you.

I didn't finish it though.
>>
>>7714730
Very intellectually honest post. I feel the same way, only my first (self-)published work was nonfiction. I won't ever take it down or try to hide it, 'cause it's an important landmark for me, and because it's one of those things that's charming because it's so crude, like a kid's drawing.
>>
File: Max_Stirner-k.jpg (47 KB, 501x525) Image search: [Google]
Max_Stirner-k.jpg
47 KB, 501x525
Easily The Ego and Its Own.

I respect Stirner and am not gonna call him a retard or something, but the book reads like a massive rant. It exhibits strong threads of opinion woven together into a seemingly cogent argument. I keep the book on the toilet, and always flip to a random page thinking, "who hurt you, Stirner? What made you feel the need to launch this large-scale attack against everybody and everything?"
>>
>>7725480
maybe his philosophy hurt him
>>
>>7721773
Hitler wasn't fascist you dumb grape. Consider that he started the National SOCIALIST party.

Also:
- On The Road by Kerouac. Vapid, meaningless, meandering shit, but then again what else was the Beat Movement?
- Jane Eyre by Bronte. Can somebody just give this poor woman a good fuck? She was dying for it.... dying.
>>
>>7723763

>bookburning incited by Jewish influence
I'm telling you, /lit/, the next cataclysm is just around the corner.
>>
>>7714685
Neuromancer.
I got maybe two chapters in and was turned off by how ridiculous, and childish the book was in it's attempt to feel "gritty" and "mature"
>>
>>7725480
It doesn't seem like a rant to me. He seems to have fun destroying what thousands of people have spent their life building in a single book.
>>
>>7715262
But /lit/ told me White Noise was good
>>
>>7719118
Why's that anon?
>>
>>7728329
If you like boring characters, dull conversation, dreary metaphors and a massive amount of fedora tipping, you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>7728378
Thanks, I might just check it out at the library to see
>>
Just fucking wasted 10 dollars on Catcher in the rye to find out it's full of inappropriate language, needed an english book for the bitch teacher in uni. Can't believe that dumb retard actually wrote the shitty book.
>>
File: 1361141603007.gif (1 MB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
1361141603007.gif
1 MB, 290x189
>>7714760
>It just reads so pretentious yet content-less to me

I hope you idiots don't talk like this in real life, unless your purposefully want to embarrass yourself
>>
>>7714952
One of my favorite books. I loved how it showed that petty drama is universal across generations. Heathcliff is edgy af.
>>
>>7728431
Catcher in the Rye is great. It really teaches you to stop being a contrarian faggot. I can see how 4chan spergs would identify with calling everything mainstream as phoney.
>>
File: thispieceofshit.jpg (18 KB, 211x300) Image search: [Google]
thispieceofshit.jpg
18 KB, 211x300
you're all weak.

I have a cousin who loves this book and begged me to read it. Hands down biggest piece of shit. Do I need to even say why? I assume you can guess.
>>
absolutely unbearable
>>
>Holes by Louis Sachar
Like ingesting diarrhea through my eyes

>Popular Music from Vittula by Mikael Niemi
Hands down the worst book ever written by anyone. Fuck it and fuck the author.

>Raspberry Boat Refugee by Miika Nousiainen
This earns the title "gayest book in history"
>>
It's a tie between Anne of Green Gables (horrible main character), Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and Love in the Time of Cholera.

Garcia Marchez is a hack; his prose is nice but I can't think of a more repugnant love story than that. As for Tess, I think out of all the European countries England has to be the worst for national literature (barring Shakespeare), there is no sense of the aesthetic in their stories, they are mostly boring social critiques. If I had read any Dickens it would probably be on the list too.
>>
File: A1bCf-Xhe4L[1].jpg (1 MB, 1524x2379) Image search: [Google]
A1bCf-Xhe4L[1].jpg
1 MB, 1524x2379
>>7715476
>this time with a self insert geek power fantasy main character.

I felt this way about Ready Player One.
>>
>>7728558

You sound like a colossal pleb. Just saiyan.
>>
>>7717356
Hi dad!
>>
>>7718985
I'm not sure how you got that out of it, but Kerouac isn't for everyone.
>>
>>7722885
I didn't love it but it certainly isn't the worst. >>7728558
LITTOC is dense but very much worth it.
>>
>>7722885
There's no reason to fight you.
I'll just assume you've only read very few and very good books if that's the worst one.

>>7730017
Came here to post this. I hated every second of it and only finished it because I feel it's admission of defeat if I don't finish a book I've started. Terrible waste of time.
>>
>>7716320
this post is such a fucking mess
>>
>>7716028
Well, the film was great. Can't imagine it working as a book though
>>
>i read the english translation
>>
File: Milan Kundera.jpg (6 KB, 231x218) Image search: [Google]
Milan Kundera.jpg
6 KB, 231x218
>>7714760
>It reminds me of Murakami
no.
Just..no
>>
>>7730524
You're not alone. I dropped it 3/4, after realising there's absolutely nothing to win by finishing it.

I'm ashamed of it sitting in my bookshelf.
>>
>>7719118
i liked it
>>
>>7720792
Best book by stephen king. If you'd read any other, you'd see they're much worse.
>>
>>7716642
I remember starting to read this book when I was a teenager and putting it away after a single page
>>
>>7723735
Nah senpai
>>
File: 1441933210965.jpg (32 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1441933210965.jpg
32 KB, 512x384
>>7717539
>literally maybe 2 or 3 weeks
>>
>>7717367
>readed
>>
>>7727026
>stuck up bitches need fux LMAO!
>>
>>7714685

Rabbit, Run.
>>
>>7717588
I've read a couple of excerpts and they were absolutely horrible
>>
>>7717689
the sixth harry potter book is the best though
>>
>>7731378
tallest midget, not literature.
>>
>>7716045
>hating based Borges
I regret every second of human history because their sum has given you the chance to live and express that opinion.

>>7716352
I'm not even American but The Corrections moved me to my very core. Only prodigal love could give someone such an insight into family issues and the way history shapes and breaks generations. I'll have to admit Franzen's style is overbearing at times.

>>7718985
Kerouac is shit like the whole beat movement and only tumblr-tier readers find anything slightly redeemable on his ramblings

>>7728489
Bukowski wrote the same shit over and over, whether in poetry or short stories or novels. Not bad, not good. I can totally see why angsty fucks love him though, but I can't see how Bukowski doesn't get old with them.
>>
>>7731382
>not literature
true, they're not great books but this meme is just edgy
>>
>>7731393
>I regret every second of human history because their sum has given you the chance to live and express that opinion
>Hating on based Leibniz
>>
>>7728537
this post made me laugh
>>
File: UWOTM8.jpg (11 KB, 213x285) Image search: [Google]
UWOTM8.jpg
11 KB, 213x285
>>7719118
You're no longer on the only book I ever read in high school thread, anon
>>
Why would you ever read a bad book? Thankfully, I missed the college 'literature' courses that meme bur hur black people we wuz kingz knockout game dough blame whitey meme scribbling
>>
>>7714685
Twilight. Honestly. I read that book, from cover to cover. I have never read such a worthless piece of shit book in my life. There is literally no redeeming quality to the work aside from it having an ending.
>>
>>7714685
Eragon
>>
>>7717424
I thought that book was pretty good. His worst book would easily be Oracle Night. That book is so fucking bad. It tries so damn hard to be Kafkaesque and deep like a Henry Miller ramble. Baaad
>>
>>7730017
Yeah...But at least stuff happened in RPO. Snow Crash had at least 4 chapters dedicated to the librarian telling Hiro of sumerian myths.
>>
Girl With a Pearl Earring

Holy fuck I just wanted it to end midway through
Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.