[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any book recommendations for someone who isn't an avid reader/a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 640x616
Any book recommendations for someone who isn't an avid reader/a fucking dumb ass who has barely been immersed in literature??

I'm really obsessive about time so I lose patience and give up. Rare for me to find books that can keep my attention. Particularly looking for books that are similar to Cows by Matthew stokoe.
>>
Don't sweat it. The future is nemes and emojis.
>>
>>7714171
If you're obsessed with not spending too much time on a book, I'd recommend John Hawkes (not the actor) because none of his books are over 300 pages as far as I can tell.
>>
Sticky has a list of easy to digest/ literature that keeps the interests of illiterates. Hemingway is good, Vonnegut as well. Maybe some Murakami or Twain.
>>
>>7714193
+1 for Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea is an easy reader. Catcher in the Rye really captivated me but idk about OP
>>
>>7714204
lots of people dont like Old Man and the Sea, they say its boring (proably due to being high school assigned lit).

I started with A Farewell To Arms, but ive heard The Sun Also Rises is a good place too. Hemingway is super simple and you'll learn to appreciate his style once you re-read him later.
>>
>>7714171
finnegans wake
>>
>>7714204
>>7714216
+1 for A Farewell To Arms, and +1 to avoiding Old Man and the Sea for now.
>>
File: Pepe.jpg (22 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
Pepe.jpg
22 KB, 463x325
>>
My diary desu
>>
>>7714222
Mr finnegan you will be fined again
>>
>>7714171
>>7714599
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop.

I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.
Here's how I did it.
-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person
-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure
-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.
-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.
-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.
-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.