[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the right order to read the Pinecone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: pynchon3-sized.jpg (15 KB, 223x270) Image search: [Google]
pynchon3-sized.jpg
15 KB, 223x270
What's the right order to read the Pinecone?
>>
chronological, like you'd read any other artist.
>>
>>7713513
Chronological works. What I did was

V.->Gravity's Rainbow->Bleeding Edge->The Crying of Lot 49->Vineland->Slow Learner->Inherent Vice->Mason & Dixon(almost done)->Against the Day(will read last)

Basically, other than V. and Gravity's Rainbow you can read them in any order, though some people will say that you can read GR first. I disagree though, because V. introduces a lot of the concepts used in GR which makes it much easier to follow on a first-time read.
>>
It doesn't matter. Read his best works first: GR, V, M&D, or CL49. Ultimately, Pynchon being a difficult writer is a meme perpetuated by dorks who bought Gravity's Rainbow and just left it on their shelf.
>>
>>7713513
don't bother
>>
>>7713555
>>7714153
>>7714745
>>7714750
We 8,

da b8
>>
Does anyone genuinely enjoy Tommy Pinecone?

I dropped GR at around page 450 or something. I wanted to strangle Pinecone whenever a song appeared, or one of his characters started stuttering.

In fact, the only parts I remember genuinely enjoying is the portion about the scientist fucking his daughter and the part where some lady shit into one of the SS men's mouth.
>>
>>7714745
Gravity's Rainbow is an incredibly difficult book, senpai. And V. isn't much easier.
>>
File: pynchon 1413256666922.jpg (1 MB, 1204x3125) Image search: [Google]
pynchon 1413256666922.jpg
1 MB, 1204x3125
>>7713513
>>
File: pynchon guide.png (575 KB, 1513x884) Image search: [Google]
pynchon guide.png
575 KB, 1513x884
>>7715004
>>
>>7715004
maybe pynchon is hidden somewhere on those covers
>>
Generally you read front to back, except with Japanese comic books
>>
>>7713555
this
>>
>>7713513
Read his non-fiction first (V. and Gravity's Rainbow, in that order if you know you'll stick for both, otherwise start with GR and re-read it later after V.)

Read Inherent Vice after CoL49.
Read other minor works in any order.

M&D is universally considered his best, whether you want to have it at the apex or keep it for last. AtD is chronologically his last major novel.
>>
>>7714990
It doesn't sound like you actually understood or followed any of it based on how you described it.
>>
>>7713513
>49
>GR
>MD
>don't read the rest
peasy
>>
He literally wrote Inherent Vice and got PTA to adapt so that plebs would start with INHERENT VICE if they were too big of bitches to just dive the fuck in.
>>
>>7717509
Yeah and also irish farteater made up dubliners so that people who dont like long stories can read a short stories and then read fined agains wake and bake
>>
>>7715847
>his non-fiction
>HIS NON-FICTION
>>
My library has Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon and Against The Day. Any of those good to start with or should I have them order something else? They also have Inherent Vice and Vineland but meh
>>
>>7717305
no v.?
>>
>>7719176
Against the Day is comparatively easier and still comes close to masterpiece.
>>
>>7719196
would Against the Day -> Rainbow -> M&D work? With the others kinda sprinkled around when I feel like it/get them?
>>
Somebody once mentioned that there's a scene in one of his books, either Mason and Dixon or Inherent Vice, where a preteen grinds on a guy at a strip club or something. Can someone tell me which one it was?

don't make fun of me
>>
>>7719267
you might be thinking of Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
>>
>>7719271
don't meme at me you shiteforde. I expect a proper answer.
>>
>>7719277
iunno, but since M&D is about the 1700s it's very very likely Inherent Vice
>>
>>7719267
>>7719281
not in a strip club but it's actually in M&D

>>7717885
anon is right, you should start with his non-fiction just like with Wallace :)
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.