[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it right to rewrite a first draft if it's story isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1450680257886.png (526 KB, 764x705) Image search: [Google]
1450680257886.png
526 KB, 764x705
Is it right to rewrite a first draft if it's story isn't finished yet?
>>
it's what i do
it's why i've never finished anything
>>
>>7712926
(well, not exclusively why)
>>
no

don't do it

just power through and finish your story then go back and revise
>>
>>7712924
It better be.
I wrote book, 447 pages.
Then decided to change small but critical detail at the beginning.
I am now at page 13 of a compete rewrite, that is borrowing a lot from the older draft.
>>
File: 1453489030510.jpg (5 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
1453489030510.jpg
5 KB, 264x191
>>7712924
>tfw wrote a large a large portion of a story while up for almost 96 hours straight.
>tfw haven't gone back and read it yet

I'm a bit worried to see what happened desu.
>>
>>7713016
>>7712924
>>7712926
The moral of the story is write it properly the first bloody time
>>
>>7713233
this guy - no revision, no editing, one big long scroll, wild as fuck and free
>>
>>7713265
But first draft of anything is always shit, aight?
>>
>>7713265
Vision and ability - if one is missing wait before you write. Or at least dont expect what you write to be good.
>>
>>7713373
Horrible advice
You should always get started first and let an idea grow. Then revise.

Your way will just lead to anxiety
>>
>>7713305
It's usually shit relative to how the final draft will be. It's not as though you would intentionally make changes for the worse.
>>
>>7712924
Only if your first draft is written by hand and you make edits when you're typing up sections of it before you've finished the whole thing.
>>
>>7713381
THIS is horrible advice.

>let an idea grow
Obviously, try writing anything of length without developing the idea as you go. I am saying if you start without vision and without at least an idea of the story you want to tell you will usually get a disjointed and abstract mess.

You should have high standards in your art.
>>
>>7713373
>>7713563
You've probably never finished a story
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.