[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gustave Flaubert's Writings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Flaubert-Giraud.jpg (164 KB, 1058x1535) Image search: [Google]
Flaubert-Giraud.jpg
164 KB, 1058x1535
Alright /lit/, I checked the wiki and couldn't find any specific charts for him, does anybody have an idea what order might be most simple to tackle his work?

Also, if you have a particular piece that you enjoyed by him, do feel free to explain why.
>>
Everything is golden, you can start with the Education Sentimentale, move on to Salammbô and make your way to Madame Bovary
Would be a shame reading him translated though, his real brilliance could only be expressed in French
>>
>>7710838
I am currently learning French, but I feel I can at least get a grasp of his original brilliance in his translations and bhave a foundation for when I read them in French.

Also, thanks for the list based anon.
>>
Three Tales --> Salammbô --> Sentimental Education --> Madame Bovary --> Bouvard and Pécuchet

Read The Temptation of Saint Anthony whenever you want
>>
>>7711708
This is the correct order. Someone should make a chart of it for future reference.
>>
Légende de Saint Julien l'Hospitalier is one of my favourite short stories ever
>>
>>7711742
I personally preferred Hérodias
>>
This thread is fucked up. Getting out of your way not to read Bovary first, as it is his first major published work, is simply dumb, especially considerig how much his prose evolved through his career.

Three tales is a late work ffs.

You guys are out here suggesting him to read Salammbo first, lol. Incredible.
>>
>>7711801
>especially considerig how much his prose evolved through his career.
It has nothing to do with chronology, Salammbô (1862, his SECOND novel) is closer to Hérodias (1877 one of his last creation) than Madame Bovary (1857 his first published novel)

The Three Tales is an excellent place to start. Un coeur simple gives an overview of the social novels of Flaubert (mainly Madame Bovary and Bouvard et Pécuchet), La Légende de St Julien is quite close to the The Temptation of Saint Anthony, and Hérodias is quite similar to Salammbô
>>
>>7711830
I disagree with everything you just said.

Op should start with Bovary, and Salammbo isn't his second best. Going into Un Coeur Simple before Madame or L'éducation is a waste.
>>
>>7711839
Misread on Salammbo, sorry. Doesn't change the fact that one should start with Bovary. Lot of people trying to get fancy for nothing.
>>
>>7711842
Or maybe they shouldn't start with it before getting to appreciate the author through some other work, since Bovary is not an interesting novel in and of itself.
>>
>>7711891
>since Bovary is not an interesting novel in and of itself.
That's bullshit, and to think that one would recommend starting with his pulpy wok before his socio-psychological stuff is puzzling to me. Seems to me like people just don't wanna give the obvious answer is, which is, in Flaubert's case, the right answer.
>>
Madame Bovary.
>>
three tales is a good intro, bouvard and picochet is his overlooked masterpiece
>>
>>7712533
also, make sure ur copy of bouvard and picochet has the "dictionary of received ideas" included, that has some great advice for writers to avoid cliches, after you read it many of the entries will stay in your mind forever
>>
why do people always make threads before but never after reading a book.

literally does not matter which book you read first.
>>
File: diccc.jpg (16 KB, 258x346) Image search: [Google]
diccc.jpg
16 KB, 258x346
what do you guys think of pic related?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.