[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does it mean to give your characters unique voices? Developing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: eiMABpKin.jpg (68 KB, 1600x1430) Image search: [Google]
eiMABpKin.jpg
68 KB, 1600x1430
What does it mean to give your characters unique voices? Developing specific speech patterns? Accents?
Granted, the person then cited Joss Whedon as having stellar dialogue, so I don't know ...
>>
>>7710476
Yes, all of the above.
Also just character. But it seems like it often just comes down to quirks
>>
Giving the reader the impression that they are convincingly someone with their own worldview and perspective. This perspective may conflict with the author's, and if you want it to be very obvious to the reader that this character is thought out that's one of the best ways to do it.
>>
>>7710476
>Joss Whedon
what...like..i don't even...
>>
>>7710485
>Also just character.
Not sure I follow.
>>
>accents
don't do this unless you know the culture and how the accents really work. otherwise you'll come off as generic and clueless.
>>
>>7710476
It means making them sound like separate people and not just you writing dialogue. Different word-use, different thoughts and ideas, different actions, etc. The goal is making them seem as real and separate from one another, and you, as possible.
>>
I always just imagine them saying things. The same way that you'd know how someone you knew would phrase something, is the the way you'll know how a character would say something. A prerequisite is the character being adequately developed in your mind of course.
>>
>>7710476
>What does it mean to give your characters unique voices?
just show there personality in the story. like when you go "would X say this?" if the answer is no than you have found a unique voice.if pov is changed and a reader can't tell without it being pointed out than maybe the voice needs some power. speech patterns are ok but can get annoying. Accents are garbage
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.