[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thoughts on bukowski? (anyone wanna recommend writers similar to him?)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: bukowski_fridge.jpg (21 KB, 295x497) Image search: [Google]
bukowski_fridge.jpg
21 KB, 295x497
thoughts on bukowski? (anyone wanna recommend writers similar to him?)
>>
edgy shit
>>
>>7710412
his work is good

don't let his fanbase of pseudo-intellectual, existentialist teenage girls convince you otherwise
>>
>>7710457
>bukowski
>teenage girls

Bukowski is reddit incarnate
>>
>>7710461
>he's never grown up in an upper middle class town where girls nonstop tweet and retweet bukowski quotes after a breakup
>>
>>7710466
I have not.

Women don't read anything outside of YA, by the way. Bukowski is on the same intellectual level as YA, though, so I guess you're right.

Other than that my ex lopped around with Naked Lunch but never actually read it because she wanted to seem edgy and punk.
>>
>>7710479
Oh yeah well they don't actually read his work, they just find quotes online

Im completely serious- once a girl who I suspected of doing this posted a screenshot to twitter (unrelated to bukowski) and had a tab open titled "IMDB Bukowski quotes"

I went to the page later and it was full of things she's been tweeting
>>
>>7710479
>women don't read anything outside of YA
I wanna shit on u for that but it's true
>>
>>7710479
>she wanted to seem edgy and punk
Are women capable of doing things for motivations other than improving peoples perceptions of them?
>>
>>7710492
It doesn't bother you after awhile. You grow numb and start tuning out.
>>
>>7710497
>Are women capable of doing things for motivations other than improving peoples perceptions of them?
I hate to say it but most aren't

>see grill reading myth of sisyphus
>try to talk to her about it
>realize its like talking to a brick wall who can't stop referencing weed
>>
Excuse my ignorance, but who is YA?
>>
>>7710506
To be fair sometimes I hate being interrupted when I'm reading and cannot muster coherent replies because I'm scatterbrained
>>
>>7710507
Young Adult fiction (John green, for instance)
>>
>>7710507
yahoo answers
>>
>>7710412
>writers similar to him?
Pre-cut up Burroughs
>>
>>7710506
Do you think Camus would have done the ganja?
>>
>>7710523
On record he smoked hashish in Algeria
>>
File: dirty.jpg (26 KB, 236x346) Image search: [Google]
dirty.jpg
26 KB, 236x346
>>7710412
>>
I'm honestly a huge Bukowski fan. No his prose is shit but his raw writing is what I love. He's a depressive ass hate who pretends to not give a fuck about anyone but himself but it's all just a guise. Interesting poet and a very good writer.
>>
>>7710461
bukowski is the god of the suburb middle class kids who wish they had had a rougher childhood but didn't, and now suffer from lack of perceived authenticity, so they use his writings to showcase to other people how "full of life" they are
>>
>>7710592
accurate. after reading bukowski I end up wishing I was abandoned as a child
>>
there was this one,
I came home and the door was locked
and when I broke in she broke out the bread knife
and chased me under the bed
and her sister came
and they kept me under that bed for two days,
and when I came out, at last,
she didn’t mention attorneys,
just said, you will never wrong me again,
and I didn’t; but she died on me,
and dying, said, you can wrong me now,
and I did,
but you know, I felt worse then
than when she was living;
there was no voice, no knife,
nothing but little Japanese prints on the wall,
all those tiny people sitting by red rivers
with flying green birds,
and I took them down and put them face down
in a drawer with my shirts,
and it was the first time I realized
that she was dead, even though I buried her;
and some day I’ll take them all out again,
all the tan-faced little people
sitting happily by their bridges and huts
and mountains—
but not right now,
not just yet.
>>
>>7710479
>>7710492
>>7710497
literally everyone on here is a buttmad frogman r9ker who forces himself to read (YA level) books to brag about it to his reactionary friends online
>>
>>7710479
Many women read things other than YA.
>>
>>7710628
was Schopenhauer a frogman who read YA as well?

fuck off butthurt girl, nobody cares if you read because you enjoy it, good for you. most girls can't go a few days reading a novel without posting a pic of it on twitter
>>
>>7710637
If he were alive today he wouldn't read YA but he'd probably post here.
>>
John Fante is pretty much who Buk copped his style from. Try Ask the Dust by him and then the rest of the Bandini trilogy. It's like a neurotic Bukowski wrote a novelization of Barton Fink.
>>
File: IMG_20160218_023845.jpg (436 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160218_023845.jpg
436 KB, 720x960
Hemingway, Knute Hamsun,Celine,Orwell,Henry Miller, Doesteavesky, Carson McCullers. Drink Port and red wine and beer. Avoid hard liquor. Listen to Mahler. Fuck whores, bet on horses.A word processor is OK, but not your best work. Be ugly, box. Avoid stupid people.
>>
>>7710592
truth
>>
>>7711339

Bukowski reads like someone trying to fuse together the styles of Henry Miller and John Fante. I difference is, I like reading both Miller and Fante, but I find Bukowski's stuff dreary and try-hard.
>>
>>7711450
Thanks for your input, it will go in the minutes.
>>
>>7710507
Great writer. Japanese: Yui Akitawa.
>>
>>7710412
https://youtu.be/xr_B2IOUYSw
>>
fante, céline, hamsun, hemingway, ari behn,
>>
>>7710592
extremely accurate
>>
>>7710536
I'm half in and is really bad, kinda shit.
>>
>>7711450
Really? That sounds more like white hip hop kids. I think Bukowsku people are: alcholics who read
>>
>>7713099
Underrated post
>>
>>7710479

Hi, for anons who aren't flyovers you should know there is a world out there.

I live in Los Angeles and girls regularly show up on my instagram drinking over Bukowski's grave.
>>
>>7714176
Thanks a.non.
>>
>>7714176
Unfortunaty for most a.nons they can only conceive of 'the world out there' in terms of 'REDDIT' and 'not REDDIT'.
>>
Are we unironically going to have these daily pleb threads for plebs and their meme pleb-muh-raw-emotion-real-life author?
>Wake me up, pham
>>
>>7710592
but should you stop reading someone because you don't like his fan base?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.