[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I enjoy this book, what does /lit/ think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: images-1.jpg (29 KB, 306x481) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
29 KB, 306x481
I enjoy this book, what does /lit/ think
>>
p good. i wouldnt get a reference to it tattooed on my forehead, but its a good read.
>>
>>7710157
This is accurate.

Jailbird on the other hand- that's forehead worthy Vonnegut
>>
>>7710169
Should i start with Jailbird then?
>>
>>7710192
honestly start wherever you like. ive probably read 8 or 9 of his novels and they all occupy an almost identical space in my memory. though if i had to say my favorite was bluebeard.
>>
If is enjoyable.
>>
>>7710202
Is Bluebeard the one with the painting? If it is I really enjoyed that one myself

To answer your question start on the easier end: cats cradle, slaughterhouse, breakfast of champions.
>>
>>7710152
vonnegut is a meme author. literally genre tier fiction. no discernible talent.
>>
>>7710365
That's the one. I especially like it because it's the only one of his books I've read with a happy ending.
>>
My favorite book of all time. However, I'vd only started reading as a hobby recently
>>
>>7710391
but in a way leaves a little water in the eye
>>
>>7710152

On the whole /lit/ doesn't like it much, probably because of how straightforward it seems; at its worst will be a comment like >>7710381. It's a very decent book though with some striking imagery.
>>
Very, very pleb book. Like a shitty reddit version of catch-22
>>
Slaughterhouse Five is the only book I've read by him which I thoroughly enjoyed.
A lot of his books I've found just pack on the irony too much. He doesn't even try to make it subtle half the time.
Breakfast of Champions was the last book I read by him and will ever read by him because it was so god damn bad. It's like he wrote a parody of himself.
>>
>>7710504
it's the other way around
>>
I bought a used copy of cat's cradle for like 3 dollars last week and I'm going to finish it tonight. Pretty good, wouldn't mind something with sci fi, but maybe not. Which should I read next?
>>
>>7710549
God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Galápagos

Sirens of Titan

Work in Welcome to Monkey House, a collection of short stories, or at least 2BR02B. If you really enjoy his stuff, Slapstick is a fun read, too, but I feel like you really have to dig him to enjoy it.

Happy Birthday, Wanda June is kind of a cool play based on The Odyssey, but it is not particularly great, so again, check it out if you're really about him.

Last but not least, Wampeters, Foma, and Granfalloons is a wonderful collection of essays, interviews, and speeches. Should be much more widely published and read, in my opinion.
>>
>>7710580
Welcome to the Monkey House is the name of the collection of short stories, one of which is entitled 2BR02B. Rereading my post, I realized it reads like I was talking about three different things there.
>>
>>7710192
Sirens of Titan is a good introduction to his style and introduces some reoccurring characters.
>>
this was my high school english teachers favorite book lol
>>
>>7710152
My mum wouldn't buy it for me because she said 'you're not reading gory books are your age!'
>>
File: whypo.jpg (48 KB, 469x505) Image search: [Google]
whypo.jpg
48 KB, 469x505
>>7710152
It's worth it if only to deliver the message: There is nothing intelligent to say after a slaughter. Also the idea of human beings being reduced to blackened logs is pretty powerful. Poo tee weet.
>>
File: image.jpg (252 KB, 1500x1350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
252 KB, 1500x1350
>>7710152
Honestly, Kotaro Uchikoshi wrote and directed several mystery video games inspired by Vonnegut's work, and Uchikoshi's talent far surpasses Vonnegut's
>>
>>7710590
It also has Harrison Bergeron, which is my favorite short-story of all time.
>>
File: IMG_20160206_123950.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160206_123950.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
/lit/ thinks its pleb tier but /lit
is full of shit.
Simple language, deep message. Harder to do than it looks. Prove me wrong and write a better book, tough guy.
>>
>>7710767

I just finished Sirens of Titan a day or two ago. Great read. Most fun I've had reading in years.
>>
>>7710964
The red herring, and the "The journey is better than the destination" theme had me left the most satisfied i've ever been with a book
>>
>>7710945
>Prove me wrong and write a better book, tough guy.
I was just about to write something but then I saw "Gamergate"
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.