[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
literature about religious psychosis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: jj.jpg (26 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
jj.jpg
26 KB, 205x246
I've read C.G: Jungs Red book with the highest interest and I'm wondering, is there other good literature about religious psychosis that you'd recommend?
>>
My diary desu
>>
>>7709098
Philip K Dick did one of those.
>>
>>7709098
Wieland by Charls Brockden Brown. Influenced Shelley when she was writing Frankenstein and is, in my opinion, the beginning the U.S. canon (Brown is certainly better than Cooper, who people often believe is the beginning).
>>
Anyone who unironically believes in religion is psychotic
>>
>>7709148
wow so original
>>
File: Asia Pope 5 Things to Know-1.jpg (52 KB, 876x493) Image search: [Google]
Asia Pope 5 Things to Know-1.jpg
52 KB, 876x493
>religious psychosis

I don't believe this actually exists. It's just like the idea of mass delusion. It's atheists desperately trying to sweep the supernatural under the rug when they're confronted with evidence of it.
>>
>>7709265

Explain religious experiences for other religions then. Or spiritualistic experiences that don't pertain to religion at all.
>>
>>7709265
>supernatural
>evidence
xD
>>
>>7709265
OP here, maybe I misunderstand you, but:

What do you call a person who is convinced of talking to angels or hearing gods voice directly then if not psychotic? Just calling something like this psychosis doesn't mean that there is no God or that religion is wrong. From my own experience I can attest that I never felt closer to God as when I was psychotic.

Of course an atheist would call psychosis only that, an illness in ones mind, but without offering any psychological or biochemical model that would really explain such a deep mystical experience- In my mind psychosis is still that an illness, filters are gone that shouldn't be removed, ones subconscious becomes conscious, and if we were to believe a gnostic Jung, even God tied to the collective unconsciousness.

So for me psychosis can be a very real religious experience, and truly fascinating, hence my desire to read more about it from other perspectives. It's the very evidence of religion and the supernatural, and learning more about it is the opposite of sweeping it under the rug.
>>
>>7709306

Yeah this always bothered me. Psychosis is basically a black box to materialists. They can't explain the nature of the content, or why it happens or what it means. Or why it seems to mean so much for that matter. It's just "you have psychosis", because "trauma history" or whatever, therefore drugs.
>>
>>7709138
I kekd
>>
>>7709273
Who ever said religious/spiritual experiences were limited only to Christianity?
>>
>>7709306
>What do you call a person who is convinced of talking to angels or hearing gods voice directly then if not psychotic?

A prophet? A mystic? Assuming yiu haven't subscribed to some vulgar materialism.

Sounds like you're trying to rationalize your own psychological history by linking it to genuine religious experiences.
>>
>>7709273
The devil taking on an appealing form.
>>
>>7709379

Not him, but how do you draw the line?

>>7709382

Oh, so instead of accidentally dissipating my Holy Guardian Angel I actually defeated the devil by accident. That's cool I guess. Why did the devil want me to read books, take my medication, and go to school every day?
>>
>>7709379
Sure, I try to rationalize my own psychotic experiences, maybe, or try to find conceptual frameworks usually only offered by religion to put my experiences into- but I'm open to any secular psychological models too, or just literature about it. But todays psychology is treating it like a black box, as someone mentioned earlier, I have a bachelors degree in psychology, but know so little good literature on something like that.

C.G. Jung would have probably called himself a mystic who had genuine religious experiences- if you believe such a claim or not, if you call it madness or gnosis is of course up to you, but yeah, I'm very interested in these kind of experiences, for some reason because of my own psychosis, but also because I think such borderline experiences are really fascinating.

As long as the experience was genuine, I don't care so much how you judge it I guess, I'm more interested in the experiences in itself as in their interpretation towards wherever religion is real or not, or if someone is a madman or a mystic.
>>
>>7709265
I swear you said the same thing on /his/ not long ago. In any case I really hope you are not >>7709382
>>
Blake (technically epilepsy)
Devils of Loudon
>>
I wasn't religious but then I had this experience...It happened not even a week ago.
Try and explain this:

>Starved for 7 days due to absolute poverty
>I didnt eat a single thing for 7 fucking days
>Got given a litre of whiskey randomly
>Drank it all neat within two hours
>Absolutely fucked and decide to write some poetry and other ramblings
>Pacing up and down the room
>Decide to sit down
>Out of nowhere I'm overwhelmed by an extreme sense of vertigo, but not quite the exact feeling of vertigo
I don't know how to explain the feeling exactly, but It was like I had been hit by a bolt of pure lightning or energy... It made me sit upright and forced a smile on my face. Similar to the feeling of orgasm, but ongoing... I couldn't even move. It was like I'd just done heroin or something, it felt like paradise.
>Begin rambling out loud like a madman
>Rambling still but I say a word and this certain word seems odd and stands out from the rest
>I've never heard or read this word in my life
>I thought it was gibberish at first
>Ponder on what it could mean for what feels like an eternity but was actually like 45 minutes
>Drunkenly type the word into google

It's brings up a fucking biblical paragraph of text speaking of the fall of man and ''the man of lawlessness''

>Shit myself and start to feel an intense feeling of panic
>Pass out
>Slept for 23 hours straight

When I woke up I felt like a different person. I looked at my notes from the day before and it all came back to me...

What does this even mean?

>inb4 schizo or whatever. I'm not.
>>
>>7709098
Chekhov's The Black Monk.
>>
>>7709439
Joyce too.

There's a very fine line between psychosis and holiness. In my experience persistence or strength in "passing" through the experience is the gateway through to the other side. Repeatedly passing through without calling on higher help is essentially shamanism and kind of dangerous if you're not incredibly strong. If you don't go mad ("die") eventually you habituated yourself to the experience and you can guide others = welcome to sainthood. For most people, and society in general it is better to call on God.
>>
>>7709475
sugar rush and drunkenness. that's what happened to you. you probably started to crash from empty calories with no real nutrition about the point you panicked. try a food bank?
>>
Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut second best Bruce Willis movie desu
>>
>>7709475
You're awakening. It's happening to a lot of people right now. Seek bonds and help from people who have gone through the same. You're not crazy, but if you can afford it err on caution on see a psychologist. Alternatively or in addition to, go have a confession with a devoted priest, better for you long term and costs you nothing.
>>
>>7709475
werneike-karsakoff psychosis
>>
>>7709402
It can be the Devil, a genuine religious experience or simple psychosis.
If it's contrary to Catholic teachings it's either Devil or psychosis and if it's in accordance with the teaching it's either real or psychosis. You judge each case on a personal level.
>>
>>7709514
Don't listen to this most basic of advice

Fasting is one of the biggest precursors to religious experience

Alcohol and weed too to be honest, but you have to be smart and in control of their uses
>>
>>7709475
It's probably drug induced.
Now if it were a genuine Christian things it won't be just a feeling of change, but a real turnover in your life, assuming the turnover is towards virtue and not some pagan spirituality.
But from the description it doesn't seem very mystical.
>>
>>7709547
As someone who finds Catholicism interesting this post is doing it absolutely no favours.
>>
>>7709475
Mania induced delusions of reference
>>
>>7709564
Completely irrelevant to the way Catholics judge weather a religious experience was from God, Devil or physical abnormalities.
>>
>>7709514
I'm talking more about why I'd randomly make up a word that actually has biblical connotations. It wasn't sugar rush, mate. Or drunkenness... I've felt both of those and it was not similar at all.
Also, I've starved for longer than that and not felt anything like that. Whatever it was... It was fucking scary. Possibly psychosis.

>>7709528
I've seen psychologists and have been diagnosed many times with depression, anxiety, antisocial personality disorder... blah blah. I don't believe in any of that. It's all bullshit terms conjured up by the sad and lazy. I'm not crazy, put it that way.

>>7709535
I had none of the symptoms of that other than losing the ability to move. I didn't make the shit up either as I have notes that are detailed and I can remember the night until I passed out.

>>7709563
It's been less than week since it happened but as I said... I feel like a different person. I have confidence seemingly from nowhere and have felt strangely focused since.

>>7709567
Yeah, I put it down to this the day after aswell.
''Ideas of reference and delusions of reference describe the phenomenon of an individual's experiencing innocuous events or mere coincidences and believing they have strong personal significance. It is "the notion that everything one perceives in the world relates to one's own destiny."
>mere coincidences
But then I think... What are the chances of making up a word and it having biblical connotations? Very fucking slim. And I'm 100 percent sure I've never even seen this word before. It wasn't even fucking English.
>>
>>7709572
>God, Devil or physical abnormalities.

False trilemma lad
>>
>>7709590
What did I forget?
>>7709586
It shouldn't be just a feeling. Go see a priest desu, it's literally their job to guide people through stuff like that.
>>
>>7709586
>I feel like a different person. I have confidence seemingly from nowhere and have felt strangely focused since.

OP here, not saying you are getting psychotic, but this is exactly how I feel every time I get full blown schizo.

It doesn't have to be that way, but it's worth seeing a psychiatrist over. Psychosis can really turn your life around, so if you like your old life, go tell a psychiatrist about this shit. Better safe than sorry.
>>
>>7709586
I'm >>7709567
I suggested this because it's plausible and to stop you from freaking out. That said it does not rule out a religious experience either.

Pick whichever interpretation you prefer, anon. Though personally I would consult a psychiatrist before a priest.
>>
Lacan on psychosis.
>>
>>7709612
I already mentioned I've seen psychiatrists. There is nothing wrong with me, well, nothing seriously wrong other than a bad diet and self destructive tendencies. They all say the same... Depression, anxiety, etc.

I know people who are psychotic and believe me, I know that I am not psychotic.

>>7709620
Yeah, well I don't know what it was and probably will never know but fuck, it was an experience alright.
I imagine it's probably what people who claim to be divinely inspired feel like. Only... I live in a time when I can simply google it and there will be a million results that tell me I'm mentally ill or losing the plot, etc.
>>
>>7709098

If you're interested in primary sources Margery Kempe's "Book" is a really interesting read. The Middle English isn't too hard to parse but not much is lost if you want to go for a translation as well.
>>
>>7709641
>I know that I am not psychotic
That's the schizos catchphrase!

But yeah most probably you aren't psychotic, just saying, it can start out exactly that way, even the predormal depressive phase would fit. If you were, you're in for a hell of a ride though, I've always took the when falling dive approach with this and it can be an incredibly awesome experience but yeah, guess you will know for sure soon enough.
>>
>>7709620
A priest will send you to a psychiatrist if it's not within his domain, but a psychiatrist won't send you to a priest.
>>
>>7709669
>that's the schizos catchphrase!
How else are you supposed to tell someone you're not though?
I've seen close friends develop schizophrenia and other mental illness and I'm not going through anything they went through. They weren't even aware that they were experiencing anything strange. I most definitely am aware. I wouldn't have made the post otherwise. Anyway, I'm not religious at all so who knows what will come from it.

Also, as I said before... I don't believe in ''depression'', it's a made up term for a made up and misattributed ''illness''...

>psychiatrist
>priest
This isn't going to help on the ''I don't have schizo'' front but aren't they both the same?
They're real life vampires after nothing more than to bleed you dry and see themselves better off from it. They both drive their mercedes-benz back to their opulent homes in relatively affluent gated neighbourhoods and have seen so many distorted faces during the day, they can't remember what their wives and childrens faces even look like.
I spat at a psychiatrist once just to gauge his reaction and he did nothing but repeat his rhetoric that he learnt from the textbook ''Deaing with a difficult patient 101''
>>
>This isn't going to help on the ''I don't have schizo'' front but aren't they both the same?
No as a priest exists for your spiritual health.
>They're real life vampires after nothing more than to bleed you dry and see themselves better off from it.
And yet both with provide exactly what your asking for.
>They both drive their mercedes-benz back to their opulent homes in relatively affluent gated neighbourhoods and have seen so many distorted faces during the day, they can't remember what their wives and childrens faces even look like.
What's this supposed to mean? I've never seen a priest driving a new expensive car and honestly neither a psychiatrist because here isn't America.
>I spat at a psychiatrist once just to gauge his reaction and he did nothing but repeat his rhetoric that he learnt from the textbook ''Deaing with a difficult patient 101''
That's probably because you aren't totally right in the head and because he has 10 others like you.
>>
>>7709273
Demons and the Devil and such trying to get you into their web.
>>
>>7709809
I'm from London and I've seen them drive expensive cars. All the time.

>That's probably because you aren't totally right in the head
I am, though.

>And yet both with provide exactly what your asking for.
Not at all. They provide you with what they've been taught to provide you with. Not truth.
>>
>>7709836
>I'm from London and I've seen them drive expensive cars. All the time.
Anglicans don't count.
>I am, though.
Healthy people don't have drunken seizures and spit in other people's faces.
>Not at all. They provide you with what they've been taught to provide you with. Not truth.
So you are asking for what exactly? Someone to exactly validate what you already think? Because that's how it sounds.
>>
>>7709586
it's not that weird to make up a word which has already been invented. it's just a sign that you've learnt language and its grammar. what would be weird is if you made up a word with inuik or mayan significance, not something from a language group which forms English or any of your other languages.

there's a test called the wug test for children to see that they have internalised the grammar of a language.
you show the kid a picture of a made up creature called a wug. then you give them two such pictures, and ask what they both are. if the kid says "two wugs" it shows they understand most plurals are formed in English by adding an -s. but that ways of forming plurals only makes sense in certain languages, and in those grammars you need a different answer to form a plural, if the language has plurals. likewise, if you hear a word that has para-, or psy-, or -itis, or -osis in it, your brain will recognise those as likely science influenced because scientists are suckers for greek and latin grammars.

the rest of it sounds like the sugar and alcohol rush of drinking whiskey on an empty stomach. it's not psychosis, it's barely even a coincidence, m8. it's the equivalent of giving someone a joint and saying "don't you think the word fork sounds weird, man?" chances are they will and it won't be original.
>>
>>7709874
>and in those grammars you need a different answer to form
in those *other* grammars
>>
>>7709874
I only speak English. I don't know any other languages.
The word wasn't even English. I mentioned that already. I'm not one for the ''supernatural'' or any of that bullshit either.

Also,
>sounds like the sugar and alcohol rush of drinking whiskey on an empty stomach
I've already said I've felt this before. It felt nothing at all like this. I've drank for 40 hours straight without sleep before and not felt ''sugar rush'' or anything like this at all...

>it's barely even a coincidence
You're being silly. It's easy to say that I suppose, because ''on paper'' it might look that way... but nah. Not a fucking chance. Unless I know another language and have somehow forgotten it then it's definitely more than a coincidence.

>it's the equivalent of giving someone a joint and saying "don't you think the word fork sounds weird, man?"
>chances are they will and it won't be original.
Again, no it's not. Not even close. It wasn't just the random word in another language that seemed to appear out of nowhere... It was the feeling that came with it.

Anyway, I realise i'm starting to sound like a madman so, I'm out. Cheers for your opinion.
>>
>>7709928
did you have to learn Hebrew symbols from a book not in English to find it? if no, it's probably just been absorbed into your grammar, and it would be harder for you to come up with a word like qallupilluk than it would be for you to come up with something anglicised. your language centres are already programmed for anglicised words, it would need to not have vowels in it for me to believe you, and even then it better not be YHWH or some shit.

You're sounding like a special snowflake who likes to diagnose himself to seem interesting, not at all like a crazy person.
>>
File: FGT.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
FGT.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
>>7709148

>unironically believes
>unironically

Come on, faggot. It's 2016.
>>
>>7709475
>not even posting the word
>all these clowns taking the bait

smhtbhfam
>>
>>7709586
WHAT'S THE GODDAMNED WORD
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.