[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for examples of great lit of the 60s 70s and 80s on or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Looking for examples of great lit of the 60s 70s and 80s on or in societies that have just thrown off colonial oppression or "oppression" or were granted autonomy.

Traumatic stories from Africa and SE Asia a plus.
>>
>>7708365
when you say "traumatic stories", do you mean you want books about countries that were released from colonial rule and were worse for it?
>>
>>7708366
Yes but I wouldnt mind stuff about some rich son of a bitch after the Hong Kong handover either. I just enjoy stuff about 20th century africa.
>>
>>7708365
That is a great fucking cover
>>
Naipaul is an amazing writer, f.am. Too bad he'll be erased from history for being un-pc
>>
>>7708406
How can a darkie writer be un-PC? Ive never read anything by him but pic related and An Area of Darkness are my next two books.
>>
>>7708415
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/02/vs-naipaul-jane-austen-women-writers

He's a piece of shit t.bh. Just read about his wife/lovers etc. Still, he is a great writer.
>>
I've heard great things about J. M. Coetzee.
Never had an opportunity to read his books though, so maybe some other anon might tell us more about his work.
>>
>>7708464
Ive read Disgrace and Waiting for the Barbarians.

Disgrace basically shits on South Africans, black and white, pretending that their post-apartheid world is going to work. From what I've read of the situation there he is pretty on point

Waiting for the Barbarians is a sort of desolate work about the paranoia of empire and a general criticism of governance from the center.
>>
>>7708464
>white people trying to write post-colonial literature
vomit.jpg notable exception is Forster

along with Rhys and Gordimer, he deserves none of the acclaim he gets for such mediocre shit and they all should be erased from the annals.
>>
>>7708484
I dont think Coetzee deserves all the praise hes gotten, but I'm pretty sure descendants of Boers get a pass on "white people trying to write post-colonial literature"
>>
>>7708448
>The criticism from the author [that there are no female authors that are his match] is unsurprising. Naipaul is no stranger to criticism. In the past Naipaul has criticised India's top female authors for their "banality" on the topic he is best known for writing about, the legacy of British colonialism.

I think this guy posts on /lit/
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.