[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this book? Thinking of picking it up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: the-pillars-of-the-earth-cover.jpg (27 KB, 264x400) Image search: [Google]
the-pillars-of-the-earth-cover.jpg
27 KB, 264x400
Thoughts on this book?

Thinking of picking it up
>>
There are certain parts where i felt were solely included for the purpose of maintaining the interest of those more shallow readers. like pointless sex and violence etc. It left a bad taste in my mouth after I was finished with it, if you like a tad more serious version of GoT, this book is for you
>>
>>7705273
also the characters did not feel real at all to me. One moment something devastating happens and on the next page the character will be cracking jokes
>>
>>7705273
>tad more serious GoT

On point, although I would add that the author is a bit more scholarly in his approach and not as fetishistic about violence and harem scenes.
>>
>>7705155
Omg the church won't have any money for the fair! I've got a brilliant idea just in the nick of time! BY GOD IT WORKED! Oh no, now the Lord wants his revenge but how will we solve THIS problem in time?

And on it goes. Force in some historical backdrop to grease the wheels and you have Pillars of The Earth. The architecture mentioned is interesting but a Nina Ramirez documentary could cover more and save you time.
>>
I found that book in a trash can with some paul scott books still didn't read them.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.