[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Light Novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: UtsuroNoHakoVol1Cover.jpg (109 KB, 556x800) Image search: [Google]
UtsuroNoHakoVol1Cover.jpg
109 KB, 556x800
What's /lit/'s opinion on Light Novels?
Most of them are pretty bad, or just average from what I've read, they are basically the Japanese equivalent of Teen Fiction after all, but there's some like pic related that are actually pretty good.
>>
I don't know, I only read heavy novels
>>
>>7704765
They are Japanese ya for retarded autists, reported and saged
>>
Anime is misogynist filth, it's time we cleansed ourselves of this problematic content
>>
Why does this thread keep popping up. Ask /jp/ or /a/
>>
I liked Saya no Uta but have had no other exposure to light novels
>>
Most are no better than YA. NHK was alright.

>>7704776
>>7704781
Kill yourselves, even if baiting.
>>
>>7704786
Saya no Uta is a visual novel, not a light novel.
>>
Maria was good. I liked how while it was a series, it actually had an ending.

Any other light novel series which have an ending? (which are translated into English)

Or even if they aren't a series and are just completed light novels like NHK.

Most LNs seem to just go on forever without ever thinking about a proper ending to things.
>>
As LN are essentially written as anime scripts, they're primarily episodes in human interaction, much like plays were in their heyday, and fill the role between serious novel reading and watching TV. I think they're a provisional entertainment form, but they fill a pretty large gap in Japan, so LNs definitely have their place as a medium.

>>7704784
Shut up.
>>
>>7704765
Not /lit/
>>
>>7704848
If you check LN translation sites they usually have a "completed" section, so you could check that. Off the top of my head:
Hyouka (5 novels)
Gekkou (1 novel)
Iris on Rainy days (1 novel)

>>7704863
>1. All literature discussion is welcome, however fan-fic is not allowed.
Light Novels are books, like them or not.
>>
What are the cream of the crop LNs?

NHK is definitely one of them, but I can't really name any others...
>>
>>7704784
/jp/ have light novel threads, sure, but the traffic there is even slower than /lit/ and within those topics they mostly talk about untranslated moonspeak LNs which never see the light of day elsewhere.

/a/ only ever talks about anime, and half the time trying to get a discussion about manga going is hard enough. For LN threads they just shout about /jp/ or ignore the threads there too.
>>
>>7704890
Thanks for the recommendations. BakaTsuki recently had a bunch of copyright problems and took down a massive amount of their translations, so finding new stuff was becoming more difficult. Really appreciate it.
>>
>>7704796
Welcome to the NHK is a novel, isn't it?
>>
>>7704765
They're basically YA. Even the ones that "aren't" still are.
>>
>>7704765
the girl looks really cute, but i bet the novel is shit.
>>
>>7704998
It's no masterpiece, but it's at least pretty good (for YA standards). You could always give it a try though, it's only like 300 pages long.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks some of Fate Stay Night is actually well written?
>>
>>7705080
That's a Visual Novel.
I really enjoyed it, but I don't know if I would call it "well written" it has a lot of interesting lore and stuff, but I don't think we can judge it's writing when the only translation available is fan-made.
>>
File: nasudesu.png (434 KB, 924x522) Image search: [Google]
nasudesu.png
434 KB, 924x522
>>7705080
>Nasu
Oh boy.

I liked Tsukihime, would actually buy the shit out of F/SN if it was a decent LN and not a VN.
>>
>>7705184
There's always the Fate/Zero LNs.
>>
>>>/jp/
>>
>>7705106
I know it's a VN, but I kinda figured where else am I going to get this answer on /lit/? I mean obviously it has a lot of bad dialogue and stuff like this >>7705184 and while it doesn't say anything new or original, for what it is it does some things well. I'm mostly thinking of UBW with Archer/Shiro's relationship and their fight at the end.
>>
>>7704890
Hyouka isn't an LN.
>>
>>7704890
Hyouka is not complete you dumb fucking nigger
>>
>>7704902
Spice & Wolf
Index
HakoMari
Zaregoto
Haruhi

To name a few.
>>
>>7705184
Look up Fate/Apocrypha.
>>
>>7704907
>For LN threads they just shout about /jp/ or ignore the threads there too
No, they don't. If the light novel has an anime adaptation then light novels do get discussed. Even upcoming light novel adaptations. If the light novel don't have an anime adaptation, then it rightfully belong on /jp/.
>>
>>7704998
Only volume two. It's the weakest volume out of the seven.
>>
>>7704765
I've never read one in my life. Are there any actual good ones?
I like some anime.
>>
>>7705597
>>7705518
>>
>>7704786
>>7704796
>>7704848
>>7704890
>>7705055
>>7705080
>>7705106
>>7705184
>>7705190
>>7705514
>>7705518
>>7705524
These are the people we discuss literature with.
>>
File: 1455468682721.jpg (218 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455468682721.jpg
218 KB, 1280x720
>>7704810
you mean a picture book
>>
>>7705514
It was completely translated a week ago or so.
>>
>>7705605
>they read stuff I don't like so their opinions are worthless.
Are you actually implying this?
>>
>>7704796
>Most are no better than YA. NHK was alright.
I'm going to give a try to NHK.

I'm not a fan of LN, I think the only one a kind of enjoyed was the four volume of Haruhi. After the fifth I stopped reading the series because of the them were crap.
>>
>>7704765
Nah. It's like reading a generic anime.
>>
>>7705742
Yeah but the series isn't fucking complete nor does it have an ending, which is what the guy asked for. It's on hiatus.
>>
>>7705080
I think both Tsukihime and Fate have a well-written story, but I don't think much of them stylistically speaking... Anyway, I cannot say much about it since I read both in the english translation.
I learned to read in English because of Tsukihime because it wasn't translated in my native language back then
>>
>>7705605
Shut up, stupid.

>>7705518
I definitely enjoyed SnW, and Haruhi is enjoyable, even if it panders too much.

Common HakoMari's summaries do not give enough information to gain my interest, is the plot something like Death Note/Dream Diary, in which different strategies are applied for every sub-story?

Zaregoto sounds like an interesting meta-narrative exercise, and in doing so, parallels LN status in literary culture.
>>
>>7704926
>Welcome to the NHK is a novel, isn't it?
The boundary between light novel and regular novel is somewhat diffuse. All light novels have manga-looking covers; some of them have pictures inside inside showing some scenes of the story, others are plain text and have no reference to anime except on the cover. I suppose the latter do that to appeal some particular audience, like the Haruhi LN's that were released with both regular and manga-looking covers.
>>
>>7705803
NHK is long enough to be considered a novel, but it shares stronger bonds with LN due to its content. I'd rather shelve it with LNs than books like No Longer Human, just for its resemblance to anime culture.
>>
>>7705799
Volume 3+4 had quite a bit of a DN vibe, yeah. HakoMari is a lot about foreshadowing and trying to "guess" in a way. It's mostly about people and their ideals.

Zaregoto is extremely good, unfortunately only 5 out of 9 volumes are translated, but it's definitely a level above other LNs. The volumes also tend to be quite a bit longer.

Also for the guy asking for complete series; Book Girl is complete and really comfy. The title sounds kind of cliche but it's worth reading.
>>
>>7705799
Just read the first volume, it's hard to explain briefly or without spoilers.
>>
has anyone read "heart of the world, hariyama san"? it hasn't been translated, but damn it was great
>>
>>7704765
translation when
>>
>>7705597
Spice and Wolf is good. Translated pretty well. Quick read obviously.
>>
>>7705856
That's perfectly useless advice. Why do people like you refuse to abstract adequately and then blame it on the nature of the matter involved
>>
>>7706542
Never.
>>
>>7705597
>Are there any actual good ones?
Plenty if you know japanese otherwise don't bother the translations tend to be complete garbage.

>>7705803
>The boundary between light novel and regular novel is somewhat diffuse.
Not really, everything released through a light novel imprint is a light novel. The content doesn't even matter. Stuff like Ken to Mahou or Vorpal Bunny are written like a normal novel, but they are light novels due to Gagaga being a light novel publisher.
>>
What exactly is a light novel? Is it a comic? Is its length the defining factor? Subject matter?
>>
>>7708078
It's a fucking marketing term to sell books to a certain audience.
>>
>>7708078
Japanese book series. Anime in book form, pretty much.
>>
>>7708057
>Not really, everything released through a light novel imprint is a light novel.
Beyond the label and by the content alone is hard to tell sometimes.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.