[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the worst word in the English language and why is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: question.png (35 KB, 749x946) Image search: [Google]
question.png
35 KB, 749x946
What is the worst word in the English language and why is it "actually"?
>>
well, no, actually, it's not...
>>
>>7703890

The worst word is actually metrosexual.
>>
>>7703890

It's actually, "really".
>>
I don't mind "actually" or "really" that much, they're overused but can be justified in some cases.

Contranyms are baffling though. "Host" for instance: guaranteed to make about half the sentences in which it's used perfectly ambiguous. And I guess "literally" counts as one now that the OED sanctioned it.

Words that have too many definitions, some of which precise and some of which vague, can be annoying too — like "paradigm". How people love using that word, even when others would be much more suitable.

>>7703893
Do people still use that one?
>>
File: Kimye.jpg (52 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Kimye.jpg
52 KB, 600x600
>>7703890

'Most maligned', you mean.
The worst word is the above filename with pic related as referent.
>>
>>7704048

Contranyms are great though; they enrich the language with their built-in paradoxes.
>>
>>7703894
No, it's really "actually".
>>
>>7704075
Screw that hoe, but Kanye is a marketing genius. Nothing related to him could be ever perceived as ''the worst'' in any field.
>>
>>7704209
Please explain to me the love for Kanye

I want to find something to appreciate but he just seems to be a retard who make average music that some tryhards attribute special meaning to
>>
>>7704212
Do you know music theory, recent music history, hip-hop culture and in general american culture? I think they're all necessary to understand why his last two albums are mind-blowing.

But then again, they're his only two God tier works. MBDTF got 10/10 from plenty of reviewers but it's indeed matter of taste. just like his previous albums, which, however, also have some appeal.
These two I mentioned ,on the other hand, are just unreal. They might take some time to grow on you, but I'm not overexaggerating, if I had to choose a literary equivalent (in terms of scope and aesthetic ofcourse) I'd probably be torn between GR and Women and Men

As for his clothes and other such stuff, I couldn't care less, but his music is enough to appreciate him.
>>
>>7704231
>that comma after 'mentioned'
Woops, my new touchscreen is showing me who is the boss here
>>
>>7704231
I don't know anything about music theory but I'm very familiar with hip hop culture and familiar enough with recent music history. MBDTF seemed kind of cheesy and underwhelming to me. I liked Yeezus better but it seemed like it was playing on a Death Grips-lite kind of thing, sounds good but shit lyrics.

Maybe I'm the pleb, but he seems like an overrated hack to me. I don't even have anything against him personally I just feel like he's held in ridiculously high regard and doesn't intend most of the meaning ascribed to his music.

If you can give me specific examples of what he's done that's deserving of so much praise, I'm seriously eager to hear it. Friends whose opinions I respect love Kanye but haven't been able to go in detail about why.
>>
>>7704255
>MBDTF seemed kind of cheesy and underwhelming to me.
It was in a way, ye.
> playing on a Death Grips-lite kind of thing, sounds good but shit lyrics.
Yeezus was in a way influenced by deaf grapes and even their influences, yes, but I believe it's a huge oversimplification. He didn't plagiarize DG, he didn't really jump onto the bandwagon. And lyrics were never the point of Kanye's stuff, ye, even though a few verses delivered (while in fact everyone excepts them to be just a necessary filler).

>doesn't intend most of the meaning ascribed to his music.
Well... I'm not sure about that one, but he's always been about form. And so his recent works deconstruct all possible forms beyond all recognition. First with Yeezus having songs sampling eachother, screams, fading in and out - all the tools you could quite accuse of making the thing incohesive but yet used very well by him. Then with TLOP having no real narrative (Yeezus had a different kind of energy on each track, but also some vivid sequences of matching songs) and only having a few streaks that you can notice if you try really hard, another ridiculous dose of insightful sampling, shifting from thing to thing really aggressively, intentionally clumsy audio... It's all mastery. Thing is, in literature a work of art is disqualified if it has some brilliant form workshop behind it but little message, and yet music can sometimes be held in high regard just for what it's done to the development of the field, even if it lacks the other aspects. And well, these two albums are the only two pieces of music I could in all honesty label as real postmodernism in music.

that said TLOP still isn't a 10/10, but Kane's next album might aswell be one.
>>
>>7703890
The worst word in the English language is, without a doubt, "lumbersexual."
>>
>>7704302
Alright, you've convinced me, I'll check them out again with an open mind. And I wasn't saying Kanye was ripping off death grips or anything like that, only that it seemed based on one listen that yeezus was just a little more abrasive all around and I assumed, probably wrongly, that that's why it was praised as unique
>>
It's either "sleuth" or "aesthetic," but only when used by tumblr teens to describe something, as in "this is so aesthetic"

When properly used it's a god-tier word
>>
>>
>>7704507
Sure thing, hope they click for you. Yeezus can be incredibly enjoyable at times.
>>
>>7704521
right
>>
>>7703890
>Exactly
> never actually exact
>>
>>7705361
>is the answer... 8?
>exactly.
>>
>>7705379
This is precisely what I mean
>>
>>7703890
>Truncheon
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.