[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it Asperger's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: DFW.png (128 KB, 352x335) Image search: [Google]
DFW.png
128 KB, 352x335
Was it Asperger's?
>>
>>7701755
probably, along with most other brilliant people throughout history.
>>
maybe a little bit
>>
>>7701755
That interview's a goldmine. I wonder if he banged that German chick who was interviewing him.
>>
File: Harold_Bloom_7536.jpg (330 KB, 1600x1050) Image search: [Google]
Harold_Bloom_7536.jpg
330 KB, 1600x1050
HE
>>
File: AabeOuK.png (459 KB, 597x435) Image search: [Google]
AabeOuK.png
459 KB, 597x435
>>
>>7701986
>We learn about DFW’s womanizing, about his book-tour fondness for “audience pussy,” and that he once wondered aloud to Franzen about whether his only purpose in life was “to put my penis in as many vaginas as possible.”

i think you already know the answer.
>>
>>7701996
Well, we don't even know what she looked like, do we? She sounded hot but she never shows up in the video. For all we know she could've been some sort of grotesque Prussian she-goblin.
>>
>>7702005
>implying the man is the one who determines whether or not sex occurs
lel
>>
>>7702012
It is when that man is reasonably successful and even remotely close to being attractive. Not everyone is an /r9k/er who's afraid of women and cows to their every whim.
>>
>>7701755
No he understands people too well to have autism. Autistic people have very primitive and almost cartoonish understanding of other people.
>>
>>7701996
>his only purpose in life was “to put my penis in as many vaginas as possible.”
woah DFW was a genius. thats soo deep . think of it from a biological perspective
>>
>>7701755
We are all a bit aspie, some of us are just more honest
>>
>>7701996
>>7702080

Do you ordinarily believe everything someone tells you?

There was no audience pussy.

>>7702075

Aspergers =/= autism
>>
>>7702080
He was a philosophy major as an undergrad so he probably meant it in an ontological sense.
>>
>>7702254
well in that case it's a gross oversimplification, because it's also his purpose to stuff food in his mouth hole, and to inhale atmosphere through his nose hollows, and it's also his purpose to pass out and hallucinate regularly, as well as excrete stinky liquids and solids. And that's not even getting into things like circulating blood and whatnot. why lament over sexuality in particular?
oright, betas.
>>
>>7702133
>Aspergers =/= autism
He said autistic, which applies to aspergers, this is, someone higher than most people on the autistic spectrum.

Take into account that Aspergers is not used anymore as a diagnosis, since a person can be considered to have asperger for one psychologist and not to have it for another - there is a good number of characteristics that the patient must be in order be diagnosed as having Asperger, but the conditions are many enough to make the Asperger diagnosis rigid since someone may not satisfy a small number of traits, thus not being Asperger nor Neurotypical. The autism spectrum is a more useful tool because of this.

This said, Wallace doesn't seem to be anywhere high in the spectrum. There is quite a difference between being odd or weird and having a mental disability...

>>7701846
There are a few, and because of them the stereotype subsists, but it is hardly true. Even Wittgenstein, the most quoted example of brilliant man with Asperger, doesn't met the conditions for such diagnosis.
>>
>>7702133
Asperger's isn't a diagnosis anymore.
>>
No. He just had an atypical perception of sensory information. Highly intelligent, would sit in front of his classes and ramble on for an hour analyzing everything that came through his head, not in an aspie way though. A lot of aspies have problems with perception, DFW just had an atypical way of thinking. As another anon said he understands people too well to be an aspie. My dad is an aspie and while he can memorize words extremely well and everything about a bicycle, he has a really really bad problem with perception and very abstract concepts.
>>
I'm like 130 pages into IJ and it's probably one of the most autistic things I've ever read. I'm not sure I can think of something that beats it
>>
>>7702521
It's just pedantic and methodical. The nuance of emotion and social interactions displayed are pretty obviously not autistic in any meaning other than memetically calling something that isn't ironically detached and retarded autistic.
>>
>>7702507

What is a "very abstract concept"?
>>
>>7702955
Epistemology.
>>
File: trex.jpg (308 KB, 802x802) Image search: [Google]
trex.jpg
308 KB, 802x802
>>7701755
With extra bacon
>>
>>7702576
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture
>>
File: 1455315601376.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1455315601376.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
>>7702996
Mods, sticky this
>>
File: 1453034307430.jpg (28 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1453034307430.jpg
28 KB, 300x400
>>7702999
trip trips confirm
>>7702996
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>7702996
I appreciate the fact that you posted this in response to a post about autism/not-autism.
>>
>>7702996
>Whoops!

Gets me every time.
>>
>>7702125
speak for yourself assburgers
>>
>>7701755
No, it was his own towel.
>>
nah just a narcissist
>>
>>7702012
>tfw saying no to or rejecting girls and watching them break for a little bit before they think of what to do next
Do other guys really say yes that easy? Insomnia has stripped me of nearly all sexual libido and the world is a weird place now
>>
>>7702955
For example, my family and I were discussing the necessity of dates in history. Their argument was that it creates a timeline, I proposed that if you understand the events in a sequential, linear accuracy then dates are disposable when creating a timeline. My dad just said 'just accept what we're telling you... no, you need dates... you just do...' aspies and many autistics have trouble thinking outside of anything without a prominent familiar rigid structure. Which is why my dad is able to focus on details of things which follow a familiar structure. He's very very good at building things and lingual communication. But once you stray outside of an immediately identifiable structured concept you lose him. Not necessarily a bad thing but he's just poorly imperceptive.
>>
>>7703346
in learning history*

I suppose that they're able to but their executive functioning and high sensory threshold makes it difficult to sort through the info, so they just drop it and resort to something very mechanical since otherwise they would be perpetually inundated with thoughts.
>>
>>7703352
Actually, it is probably because they have such a disconnect from their bodies they're dense and very slow at taking in information that they didn't create themselves. They are able to see in those perspectives, but their ability to grasp the information is limited when they're stuck in their minds maybe?
>>
>>7703346
I mean the concept wasn't exactly very abstract but it was still thinking out the format of 'dates = necessary'
>>
>>7702270
all of that stuff is just to keep you alive so you can impregnate more women
>>
>>7703346
if you understand with a simple linear accuracy the entirety of history as your timeline, you're implying dates by saying "the next day, x happened". if you wanted to maintain that history didn't have a linear progression or that such a progression was immeasurable, you would have a stronger case, but dates actually make the linear progression into a much more concise method than you have proposed, along with giving one the opportunity to only study certain points within smaller parameters whereas yours would demand the totality of them to sustain the progression within them.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.