[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wuthering Heights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Emily_Brontë.jpg (203 KB, 640x986) Image search: [Google]
Emily_Brontë.jpg
203 KB, 640x986
>The book that most thoroughly shook and staggered me, owing to the intensity of its passion and its psychological accuracy in the handling of a couple of human beings who live throughout their lives at white heat, was Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights, which I read with bated breath; which I have read many times since; and which, at every fresh reading, I have admired more and more.

>Here was a book which to my mind outclassed everything, French, English, or German, that I had so far read. I could not believe that anyone who had really understood it could have handed it to me in the cool and detached way Wright[1] had done when he first told me to read it. Nor to this day, in spite of all the reading I have meanwhile done, have I found any reason to depart from the opinion of this work which I held when I was nineteen.

>In my opinion, Wuthering Heights is not merely, as Clement Shorter maintained, “a monument of the most striking genius that nineteenth-century womanhood has given us”; it is not merely, as Sir William Robertson Nicol declared, the work of “the greatest woman genius of the nineteenth century,” it is the greatest work of fiction by any man or woman Europe has produced to date—and I am writing in the year 1961. Let it be remembered, moreover, that, if even those of its champions who praise it most highly cannot refrain from implying some disparagement of the authoress’s choice of characters and of the situations in which she displays them in action, it is because in England there is no adequate yardstick, no set of scales, by which such characters and situations may be measured and their quality assessed.

Ludovici seemed to like it, but what does /lit/ think of Wuthering Heights?
>>
I don't read books by, or including, women.
>>
I would only ever read a book by a woman if it helped me find her so that I could beat her for writing a book.
>>
>>7700984
It's my favourite book, anyway.
>>
>>7700984
it's awesome

>>7700990
>>7701011
SO EDGY
now fuck off back to pol
>>
>>7700984
it is the greatest work of fiction by any man or woman Europe has produced to date—and I am writing in the year 1961.
Probably the dumbest thing said by any literary critic ever.
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 720x960
>>7701011
>>7700990
Gr8 b8 m8s, now fuck off
>>
I was expecting it just to be another Austinite meme author. Yet it was anything but; quickly became one of my all time favourites for all the reasons mentioned in the OP, that Vidivici guy seems to be spot on. Enthralling story in every single way.
>>
>>7703564
>and I am writing in the year 1961.
IT IS CURRENT YEAR, PEOPLE, COME ON!!!
>>
>>7700984

I didn't even understand the point until like a week later. Then I went "Oh. That was ok I guess".
>>
It's very good & creates a strong atmosphere of heightened emotion & wrought passions. But it isn't as good as the critic quote.
>>
>>7700990
that's stupid of you
>>
>>7700984
Should I read this if I despise romance/romantic novels and only want it for its historic value?

I don't want that pride and prejudice bullshit all over again.
>>
>>7704033
Not an argument.
>>
>>7704062

i disliked pride and prejudice and really enjoyed wuthering heights

it has romantic elements, but it also has a lot of gothic atmosphere and has very little of the irritating middle class sensibility focus of austen - aside from the first character
>>
I've read it and I don't remember anything other than Catherine being stuck up bitch who needed a good dicking from Heathcliff.
That and Kate Bush.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.