[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/s favorite books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: John-Williams-Stoner.jpg (171 KB, 400x650) Image search: [Google]
John-Williams-Stoner.jpg
171 KB, 400x650
When you read what is now your favorite book, did you know it was your favorite instantly, or did come to love it after a few rereads?

I knew that pic related was going to be my favorite after the finishing the first chapter.
>>
Pleb
>>
>>7700457
There are always 1 or 2 books every year that I really get into, and they usually include a touch of anxiety about getting to the next page.
>>
>>7700468
Stoner wasnt one of them except possibly the last chapter
>>
>>7700466
/thread
>>
File: image.jpg (375 KB, 1524x2339) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
375 KB, 1524x2339
>>
>>7700484
>>7700466
>Stoner is for plebs

Back to /Reddit/.
>>
>>7700457
>I knew that pic related was going to be my favorite after the finishing the first chapter.
What a loser.
>>
File: 1364656875042.jpg (23 KB, 397x298) Image search: [Google]
1364656875042.jpg
23 KB, 397x298
>>7700466
>>7700484
>it's popular therefor it's bad
>>
>>7700457
op, Just finished stoner tonight after a two day spree. Enjoyed it. Have to give it a few days to see how it sits.
Regardless, i thought it was a good book.

Gents, Pleb? Care to elaborate?
>>
Candide is my favorite.
>>
>>7700457
>stoner
Is it bad I hated the ending, I didn't really expect it to end that way, though what did you expect?

I at least wanted Lomax to apologize for being a little shit
>>
>>7700794
Not op stoners wife would have benefitted from a good old fashioned falcon punch
>>
John Williams has such beautiful prose for being so easy. Truly one of my favorite, and imo best American authors (that I've read ofc).

Butcher's Crossing is just as well written, but not as relatable I am finding.
>>
>>7700768
>Care to elaborate?
no they do not
>>
>>7700502
>>7700753
i love stoner you retards, but

>I knew that pic related was going to be my favorite after the finishing the first chapter.

is fucking retarded
>>
>>7701175
glad you liked it too :)
>>
>>7700457
I didn't realize Candide was my favourite book until a few weeks later when I was still chuckling at it. Any time I hear people moaning about their petty shit I think of Candide and it brightens my day
>>
>>7701175
I agree with this. To know a book is going to be your favourite after a single chapter is to admit to prescience or having never read a book before
>>
>>7701208
or it is hyperbole and not literal. you can have a good hunch though.
>>
>>7700753
>taking the reddit tier bait
it didn't matter what op said was his favourite book was. it was gonna be made fun of.
>how new are you
>>
File: The_Tunnel(pic).jpg (26 KB, 220x335) Image search: [Google]
The_Tunnel(pic).jpg
26 KB, 220x335
Had to be done, it did.
>>
File: castleroogna.jpg (28 KB, 220x363) Image search: [Google]
castleroogna.jpg
28 KB, 220x363
I don't really read books more than once, so it's more ranking experiences and takes some time to figure out which ones affected me.

Pic related is probably my comfiest book, it's dumb fun but I love every page.
>>
>>7701211
OP here. Hindsight is 20/20. That does sound pretty dumb in retrospect.

What I meant was that when I first picked it up and started reading, I really liked the prose, which sucked me in and make me enjoy reading it even more.
>>
File: 92-a-the-stranger.jpg (42 KB, 314x320) Image search: [Google]
92-a-the-stranger.jpg
42 KB, 314x320
Camus' style is beautiful, there isn't any event in the novel that doesn't stick with you, no matter how mundane.

As a philosophical work its greatly overrated, but its a damn fine piece of art.
>>
>>7700457
About halfway through, I realized that Absalom, Absalom! would be my favorite for quite a while. It was the chapter in which Wash kills Sutpen.
>>
>having a favorite
are you having a fucking laugh?
how fucking dumb do you have to be to have a favorite book?
>>
>>7700502
>>7700753
Why are stonerfags so insecure?
>>
>>7701175
>I don't read for prose

pleb
>>
why is it so hard to like anything on this board
i honestly cant think of a single work that wouldn't get made fun of
how do i defend myself in a position like this
>>
>>7701325
ask your opposition for reasons, they will never have any.
>>
>>7701325
confidence and an informed opinion. If you have both, the opinions of other's won't matter to you. Also try not being a 17 year old who's intimidated by the opinions of their elders
>>
>>7701320
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little weeb? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the English language and Philosophy, and I’ve been involved in numerous reviews on Goodreads, and I have over 300 read classics. I am trained in literary critique and I’m the top mind in the entire US school of parroting Nabokov. You are nothing to me but just another pleb. I will wipe you the fuck out with patrician-hood the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of continental philosophy-obsessed teenagers and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, casual. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your taste. You’re fucking pleb, kid. I can write anywhere, anytime, and I can imitate Joyce in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in modernism, but I have access to the entire magnum opus of James Joyce, Thomas Pynchon and Vladimir Nabokov and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the literature board, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, plebeian.
>>
>>7701325
stop caring about random people's so called opinions. that's literally the key to good life.
>>
>>7701325
stoner is probably one of the most supported books on this board. there are haters on everything but it's prob 90/10 people who like/hate stoner, and the rest have no opinion and just meme for fun
>>
>>7701325
There's 7 billion people in the world, we don't get along.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.