[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can we now finally acknowledge he was a hack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 400x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 400x288
So can we now finally acknowledge he was a hack?
>>
File: bait.jpg (48 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
48 KB, 800x800
>>
>>7700188
Bolano was right, he was a hack.
>>
>>7700397
Not baiting, you don't even have to go outside of Colombia to find better prose.
>>
>>7701074
Also, he was a filthy commie.
>>
>>7702420
>implying that's wrong
Op's just jelly because he will never be less than two miles from a Nobel prize
>>
>>7702420
So was Neruda but Bloom put him on the Western Canon that /lit/ loves.
>>
What's his best book?

I avoided reading him because he's practically soccer mom's author
>>
>>7702431
they gave him the nobel because he aint white and he fits the elite's marxist agenda
>>
File: 1332277510363.jpg (9 KB, 290x350) Image search: [Google]
1332277510363.jpg
9 KB, 290x350
>>7702572
>elites
>marxist agenda
>>
>>7700399
So was that part with the mutliple generations of rape victims with the same name in 2666 a "take that" to García Marquez instead of an homage and reference to One Hundred years of solitude?
>>
>>7702683
>mutliple generations of rape victims with the same name in 2666

what book did you read.?

>>7700399
Bolano actually liked Marquez, as he liked Octavio Paz, he just had his edgy moments.
>>
>>7702703
Is just a short story from La parte de los crimenes, there was a girl that was raped and gave birth to a girl that she named the same as herself, and this girl was raped and named the girl like herself, and so on like for five generations, last one was the mother of Lalo Cura. Reminded me of the Buendia multiple Josés and Arcadios.
>>
>>7702703
>Octavio Paz
Thew up in my mouth a little
>>
>>7702558
His books aren't soccer mommish at all, and his least acceptable/accessible to women is The General in his Labyrinth, which is basically Simon bolivar having nightmarish recollections of his fIlures before his death.

That said, it is immaturishly contrarian to reject love in the time of cholera and 100 years as the works of a hack, especially considering the intricate ways he tortures his protagonists.
>>
>>7703906
Can anyone recommend or discuss Autumn of the Patriarch?

Is it basically like El Presidente by Asturias or The Feast of the Goat by Llosa?
>>
>>7703919
It's his second best novel, they claim
Read it and El Recurso del Metodo
Best dictator novels there are desu familia
>>
>>7703927
The availability of Carpentier in translation on pirate sites is distressingly low, Ive been trying to find Kingdom of this World forever.
>>
>>7703933
found it

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:05ff484dea071aef19ca7f422e66c34fb6b6395a&dn=Carpentier%2C%20Alejo
>>
authors that gringos will never understand thread then?
>>
>>7703957
Gringo here with hardon for Latin American /lit/ here

Pedro Paramo was impossible for me to get, do latins wander empty landscapes whenever they get melancholy? It seems to be a recurring theme.
>>
I completely understand why /lit/ would say he's a hack, but in my opinion he's great. I can relate to alot of his narratives because I'm a filthy spic from that area and I have some connection to it.

it's ok /lit/ he's just not for you. doesnt mean he's a hack.
>>
File: 1418964714845.jpg (22 KB, 453x453) Image search: [Google]
1418964714845.jpg
22 KB, 453x453
>>7702729
Oh, now I remember this.
Fucking Bolaño.
>>
>>7703957
>gringos will never understand
I hate this retarded mentality
It's like when a nigger says "white peopl will nvr undrst muh struggl"
It's not a complex situation. Of course that you can't expect anyone to feel exactly what you feel, but people can understand you. Of course that there are stuff that you need to be a native to understand, some implications, jokes, whatever. But in the end books like this and for example Dubliners or chejov stories help you understand the situation of a group at a given time in history.
Let's not mystify terrenal things
>>
>>7703962
>Paramo
Did u look up dat word senpai
>>
>>7703970
No spanish language ability, i thought it was like "Thompson" or something.
>>
File: fuck.png (9 KB, 561x202) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
9 KB, 561x202
>>7703973
>tfw you will never be a universal polyglot
>>
File: anime-girl.jpg (16 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
anime-girl.jpg
16 KB, 255x198
>>7703963
I feel you man.
>tfw living in north coast your whole life and reading Cien años for the first time
>>
>>7703976
Cartagena reporting in. where u from?
>>
>>7703968
it's not just colloquialism, alot of it has to do with ideals and state of mind. decades of violence.. etc etc.

It's ok to accept that you dont understand every culture. I dont see the appeal of Bollywood and I see it as a joke, yet it's one of the biggest entertainment industries in the world. obviously two different things, dont get your autism activated.
>>
>>7703980
Barranquilla
>>
>>7703995
I have good memories of Barranquilla, but then again I was only shown the touristy areas, not the actual shit.
>>
>>7703976
>>7703980
>>7703995
Silly costeños in 4chan
Bogotá master race here.
>>
>>7702729
the absolute madman
>>
>>7704009
>live in temperate coastal area whole life
>take trip to central area
>nosebleeds and nausea all day every day
>cold as fuck and constant rain
>gamines everywhere

majestic capital city.
>>
I'm a gringo but I love 100YOS. I think it helps that I enjoy South American history.
>>
>>7703943
thanks, but that's Reasons of State. Do you have The Kingdom of this World? Still appreciated.
>>
>>7704201
Ive searched everywhere, i bought a cheap copy on amazon but some shitter filled it with notes.
>>
>>7704213
Yeah, there's no epub/mobi version anywhere around. Thanks again though.
>>
>>7704030
At least we have cultural life.
How many museums and libraries are in there?

Also, stay away from here, we dont want your kind in here.
>>
>>7704445
lol plenty. relajate parce, it's just banter ;)
>>
>>7704445
>muh cultura
>getting this mad at bantz
Everytiem
>>
>>7704450
>parce
Fucking cancer.
>>
>>7702703
>Bolano actually liked Marquez
Nope.
>>
>>7705661
It would be kind of disappointing.
Its like saying Joyce liked Coelho.
>>
I grew tired of his BEING OLD IS AWESOME shtick pretty fast.
>>
>>7705939
He was a filthy costeño, they like being old because then they don't have to work.
>>
>>7702572
lmao yeah cause that's the agenda the elites are working towards. you're retarded
>>
Not a hack, but obviously overrated. One of those writers that for some reason is popular among adolescents and people who think they know about literature in Latin America.
>>
>>7706260
anyone who says the elite doesnt have a radically anti-european marxist agenda is either in guilt-driven denial or blind
>>
>>7706018
>Bogota
>>
>>7706378
>anything but Bogota
>>
>>7704445
>we have cultural life
Yeah right. Get out and see the world, your petty regionalism just shows how painfully myopic your view of the world is. Our museums and libraries are mediocre at best. It doesn't help that outside of Argentina nobody is more obsessed with poorly aping what we view as European rather than creating a new identity or movement for ourselves. How is it possible that the Spanish are less retrograde than us we supposedly based almost all of our national identity of throwing of the yolk of their backwards order?
>>
>>7706308
Like when they gave Churchill the Nobel Prize for Literature or Barack Obama the Peace Prize. And now giving the Literature Prize to someone just because they are Anti-Communist.
>>
>>7703927
>his second best novel, they claim
It is my favourite.And which one is his best according to them?100 years?
> The General in his Labyrinth
My general impression of this is that it was kind of bland.Like they commissioned him to write something about Bolivar and he was like
"Well,I'll just fix something and throw in some of my usual bullshit."
Or did I get it wrong?
>>
>>7707829
I know.
I've been to NYC and some parts of Europe. Thats why i'm saying it, because at least we're trying. Bogota is thriving to that goal. While the coast is making carnivals and parties, we advocate for art and diversity, theatre, cinema and social and enviromental causes. Meanwhile people from the coast come here to rob, being lazy and create organized crime. Like 70% of muggers in Bogota come from other parts of the country, many of them costenos.
The coast is just holding is down.

And Colombia its like 4 diferent countries in one, a 'national identity' is imposible here.
>>
>>7707969
That describes the book rather accurately.
>>
>>7700188
as edgy as american kids dismissing fitzgerald because they have to read him in high school

>>7702558
read No One Writes to the Colonel

>>7705661
he did. he just hated how he became a superstar, hanging out with presidents, all that shit.
>>
>>7708136
damn son, you couldnt be more wrong.
>>
>>7708600
Nice argument.
>>
>>7708938
I know.
>>
>>7708206
>he did
Nope.
>>
>>7703962
Yeah, it's pretty much a spot on depiction of the mexican identity.
>>
>>7705928
What the fuck? Not at all, dude.
>>
>>7700188
I've only read Chronicle of A death foretold and I thought it was excellent. Looking forward to reading more of his work.
>>
>>7708136
>The coast is just holding is down.

No, Bogota is the burden. Not just for the coast, but for every part of the country. Centralism is a failure, thats why we dont have panama anymore.
>>
>>7710187
>Bogota is the burden
Oh, you mean the city that makes more than half of the income of the whole country? Sounds fine to me.
>>
>>7710454
>more than half..
bullshit.

Read some history of our country son. Bogota is that big kid eating other kid's food.
>>
>>7710612
This. Bogota bro, please realize that while Bobota might be the most metropolitan but it's still a cesspool. a swollen, red, infected belly button.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.