[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me, /lit/ I have a younger cousin who shows some potential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: Twilightbook.jpg (24 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
Twilightbook.jpg
24 KB, 331x500
Help me, /lit/
I have a younger cousin who shows some potential in reading taste. However, she's recently fallen into the YA Fiction trap
>pic related
And claims it's good.
I want to save my cousin from mediocrity.
>>
>>7698867
the left hand of darkness
>>
>>
File: $_1.jpg (22 KB, 280x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
22 KB, 280x400
I would give her some more classic romances to read, maybe she'd like those; something like The Torrents of Spring by Turgenev.
>>
Wuthering Heights is a 10/10
>>
>>7698867
Well, if you give her a list of books and say, "this will save you from mediocrity," she'll turn right around and throw it in the garbage. You can't approach this sort of situation with that mentality
>>
File: 375802.jpg (69 KB, 290x475) Image search: [Google]
375802.jpg
69 KB, 290x475
Give her some good YA fiction.
>>
>>7698867
no one with potential ever falls into the YA fiction trap

avoid the sunk costs fallacy and move on

she's lost
>>
>>7698908
not necessarily true.
>>
File: laughingwithsalad2.jpg (43 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
laughingwithsalad2.jpg
43 KB, 560x560
>>7698904
>YA
>good
>>
>>7698867
We all had our period when we read 'lesser' books, let her grow and find her own pace. No need to force feed her because you have a certain view of how certain things should be. Get off your high horse.
>>
>>7698912
You read YA fiction, and liked it, right anon?

That's all right, not everyone can have a patrician nature.
>>
>>7698921
you dont even know what patrish looks like t b h
>>
>>7698884
Her father just went to prison, she's probably looking for a good male role model about now.

>>7698891
What, like Lolita?
The problem is with some romance, she thinks she's already an adult (she's 15 [I think], I probably should have started with that). I have literally heard her say 'I'm really complex', and I don't want to give her more ideas.

>>7698894
I like it. I'll consider it.

>>7698904
I considered that series. I think I had read Ender's Game by her age.
But pretty much what >>7698915 said.

>>7698908
>>7698917
I wasted years re-reading the Redwall books because no one in the school system ever had any interest in teaching the advanced children what to read. My mother doesn't read, and my father is dyslexic, so no help was coming from them. I don't want her to stagnate like I almost did.
>>
>>7698933
>I wasted years re-reading the Redwall books because no one in the school system ever had any interest in teaching the advanced children what to read. My mother doesn't read, and my father is dyslexic, so no help was coming from them. I don't want her to stagnate like I almost did.

Same here. Instead it's my sister. She read Twilight and Stephen King. She grew up, started loving philosophy and now reads Plato.
I geuss you can call this an improvement. I really don't care what she reads or if she reads as long as she finds something the loves and puts her mind to it.
Like I said, don't force your view on her because you think it's better.
>>
File: my feeling exactly.png (95 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
my feeling exactly.png
95 KB, 219x230
>>7698933
>redwall
>wasted

shut your filthy fucking mouth. those books are comfy as hell
>>
>>7698942
Hold up, hold up, OP here.
They're good books, and I like them (I met Jacques once, real cool dude), but I spent years on a metaphorical couch when I could have been doing squats with Plato, or at least crunches with Asimov.
>>
You have to take her age into account, she won't like to read Ulysses, give her Tintenherz.
>>
>>7698867
I got into reading fantasy through Twilight. I do insist there was a good book in there.

Anyway directly after Twilight I read Garth Nix's Abhorsen series. From there more Nix, Earthsea, Sanderson, some very bad fantasy romance (because its all bad) and from there I'm home free.
>>
>>7699583
I'm sure that would have sounded more credible if I used my vocabulary.
>>
>>7698948
asimov why not asimov or maybe franny and zooey or robert frost.
>>
>>7698867
How about you just let her read what she wants and you can read what you want? She'll likely talk to you about it (reading) for either chatter or recommendations at some point in the future. Don't muscle your way in.
>>
>>7699633
This.
>>
>>7698867
There is good, and deep YA lit. Thirteen reasons why, Eleanor and Park, Speak, Luna.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.