[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A friend and I have been arguing about the best way to describe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: HAIL HUTLAH.jpg (16 KB, 375x270) Image search: [Google]
HAIL HUTLAH.jpg
16 KB, 375x270
A friend and I have been arguing about the best way to describe a character.

My friend says one should point out the major characteristics to provide a framework for the imagination to work within. Describing only bare details will simply leave a confused mental image.

I personally think, you guessed it, the opposite. I'd rather the character's context and environment helps me figure out their aesthetic. The details I'd want to be told, maybe one or two, would only be the ones that tell me something about their character or that are important to the narrative.

So, /lit/

What's your opinion on describing a character?

Pic unrelated, its hard to find /lit/ related imagery.
>>
>>7698113
Depends on the effect you are trying to achieve

Brevity of description and intention of description elicit different responses in the reader
>>
Fuck off, you genre fiction pleb, descriptions of a character should be used only so much as to establish, or consolidate, a thematic context.
>>
>>7698141
So you agree with OP then. Okay.
>>
>>7698113
describing faces, clothes, physical appearance is very antiquated, especially if these elements are used as characterization- i.e. older novels using descriptions of faces to sum up a character
>>
>>7698113
>>7698262
You should read armadillo by William Boyd if you want to see how a character should be described.
>>
>>7698113
you should go on for pages about the make of their suits
>>
>>7698113
you're both wrong. it's not the major characteristics, or the minor ones, but the ESSENTIAL ones; the difficulty of writing is therefore sorting essential characteristics from a panoply of major and minor ones.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.