[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to become a philosopher? Is it enough with writing your ideas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1377894459361.jpg (56 KB, 636x640) Image search: [Google]
1377894459361.jpg
56 KB, 636x640
How to become a philosopher? Is it enough with writing your ideas and publishing a book, or you need to be accepted by the intellectuals...?
>>
>>7696870
Have you ever even read any philosophy book, paper or journal ?
>>
Depends what you mean. Most modern philosophers whom you would think of as "philosophers" and impressively so are academics of some kind. But academia is also filled with millions of workaday number crunchers and curators of Fichte's grocery receipts. There are impressive, self-educated, non-academic philosophers in the same sense as the impressive academic ones, but there are also millions of non-academic hacks and pop writers.
>>
All modern philosophy is apologism for fringe political ideology. Since you're posting on 4chan it's safe to assume you're a neo-Nazi, and while that is indeed a fringe position it is not what philosophers are looking for.
>>
>>7696898
>Since you're posting on 4chan it's safe to assume you're a neo-Nazi
yeah, no it isn't.
>>
>>7696898
You're not even near, anon.
I prefer to not classify everything under ideologies. For example, I disagree with nazi ideologies, but I can understand that there's some real base, finally perverted by human fears.

>>7696893
>Depends what you mean.
The first three examples that come to my mind are Bertrand Russell, Michel Foucault, and Schopenhauer. All of them had strong academical studies (especially Russell), and thie gave them a solid base, but this can not be all.
Probably would have been more correct to ask "How could I share my (philosophical/political) ideas and made them widely accepted?".
>>
File: medancing.gif (1 MB, 529x352) Image search: [Google]
medancing.gif
1 MB, 529x352
it depends on what kind of philosopher you want to be, a sophist who misunderstands everything in the history of the western tradition and markets himself to pseudo intellectual redditors (eg Sam Harris) or an obscurantist charlatan who lives in perpetual fear of being found out (Judith Butler, Zizek etc)
>>
>>7696958
Academics are easier to respect, as even if you disagree with their ideas, you find that, because of the amount of research they have conducted, there is something of an empirical scale you can measure them against to judge their worth.

Discursive writers (and by this I mean writers who simply produces discourses and treatises (God I hate pronouncing that word)) are easier to disrespect, since you can either find their work agreeable or not. I'd like to believe that, were Nietzsche writing today, he'd be writing in an academic style.
>>
>>7696958
>All of them had strong academical studies (especially Russell), and thie gave them a solid base, but this can not be all.

No, but it's still necessary. I mostly agree that certain people have the seeds of their philosophical innovation in them, e.g. that Foucault's "elaborated" philosophy in late life was in some way rooted in a vision that he had even before he knew fuckall, but seeds need soil to grow.

There's a whole world out there you won't know about and which won't take you seriously unless you can compete with its rigour.
>>
>>7696974
zizek and butler are the furthest thing from obscurantist you could think of
they're literal meme philosophers you can turn into neat soundbites to throw them at nerds
>>
>>7696974
>muh dead philosophy

I mean, at this point "philosophy" departments should be called "critical thought" departments, because that is the extent of what they teach, but that does not mean critical thought is any less necessary a mental skill.
>>
>>7696995
nice language game you're playing there friendo.
>>
>>7697017
Philosophy is still the best discipline through which to teach critical thought. It is the progenitor of syllogism, general math, science, etc. It's not, you know, the modern equivalent of alchemy as you seem to be implying. How about you critique the substance of my point rather than the way it is presented?
>>
>>7696928
>blames every problem in the world on a Jewish conspiracy
>wants a violent revolution in which you get to kill everyone you don't like

Sorry dude you're a neo-Nazi.
>>
>>7697093
never did that, prolly never will.
>>
test
>>
>>7697448
this
>>
>>7696979
>because of the amount of research
methodology, my friend
>>
b-bamp
>>
You should be like Lenin and actually do something.
>>
>>7696870
Sit in a chair and think about life and ideas beyond the scope of your own life
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.