[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one create iconic characters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
How do you write your Brothers Karamazov, /lit/?

My strategy is:

>small cast
So the different traits in the characters are unique. Except for those with family ties, of course. It also helps with synonyms for them in the future.

>exploit the five senses, not only appearance
Give them at least 2 physical traits which are distinct. "Beard + Bad smell", "Short + Long blonde hair", "Thin + Excellent voice", "Fat + soft skin", etc.

I like being playful and exaggerated when they are introduced. "His hair blowing to the wind has the likes of a whirlwind of sunflowers."

>give them distinct names
Every character has a meaning. In Brothers Karamazov each of the bros means a recurrent thought in russian society. Ways to exploit this is giving a traditional name to the more religious orthodox brother and a westernized name to the nihilistic one (specially if you are a russian nationalist behind your shitposting). Another example is that in literature, often the nobles have more names than the commoners and often have both their first and surnames (or nobility title and surname) mentioned together.

A small cast will make every name a treasure in itself.

So, any tips?
>>
>>7696256
>Shaniqua Baboon
Big fat niggress, is unemployed and lives out of welfare.

>Tyrone "Tupac" Johnson
Small nig that steals by day and tries to be rap-famous by night.

>Michael Samuel
Well natured black that tries to be successful by legal means but is shit on by everyone.
>>
>>7696307
This took a shady turn.
>>
>>7696307

>The Bruthas Karamazov
>>
>>7696570
>not The Brutha's Johnson

step up senpai
>>
>>7696256

Ivan is a western name?

>>7696575

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOyUBtJFJvk
>>
File: 1445827523720.jpg (41 KB, 1055x763) Image search: [Google]
1445827523720.jpg
41 KB, 1055x763
>>7696575
>The Brutha is/has Johnson
>>
File: 1373688654964.jpg (20 KB, 457x406) Image search: [Google]
1373688654964.jpg
20 KB, 457x406
>How does one create iconic characters?
>My strategy is ...

How's it working out for you?
>>
>A small cast will make every name a treasure in itself.
You can supplement this by giving each character 5 nicknames and making it really confusing for the reader to connect them
>>
>>7696847
Kekeled.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.