[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I a pleb for liking Elliot Smith, I know this isn't Mu/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: el.jpg (5 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
el.jpg
5 KB, 200x252
Am I a pleb for liking Elliot Smith, I know this isn't Mu/ but I won't get a decent opinion of the lyrics there. I feel like this is a fantastic post-modern / nihilistic song.

Throwing candy out to the crowd, dragging down the main
The helpless little thing with the dirty mouth who's always got something to say
You're sitting around at home now waiting for your brother to call
I saw him down in the alley, having had enough of it all

> so there's a parade, they're throwing candy, brothers fucked off to shoot up in the alley with our narrator

Said you can do what you want to whenever you want to
You can do what you want to, there's no one to stop you

> you can do what you want to there's no one to stop you, cool huh

All spit and spite, you're up all night and down every day
A tired man with only hours to go just waiting to be taken away
Getting into the back of a car for candy from some stranger
Watching the parade with pinpoint eyes full of smouldering anger

>here's where it all comes together, our narrator is a junkie (pinpoint eyes) looking out at a parade, a nice image of life as being organised around meaningless subjective cultural practices, very epitomising. Also candy here is meaning and heroin, in rejecting normal life the parade, which he sees as meaningless, he has chosen instead to have his candy/meaning supplied by junk. Getting into the back of the car, taking candy from some stranger again very epitomising of the way we look for meaning.

You can do what you want to whenever you want to
You can do what you want to, there's no one to stop you
Now you can do what you want to whenever you want to
Do what you want to whenever you want to
Do what you want to whenever you want to though it doesn't mean a thing
Big nothing

> even though our narrator has chosen to reject the parade/meaning and is "free" his life of smack addiction and conscious nihilism is not freeing: it is meaningless by definition.
>>
>>7695338

Yes. Patrician is Jandek. I mention him because they both reference Kierkegaard and his lyrics are absolute poetry:

http://tisue.net/jandek/lyrics.html
>>
>>7695357
cheers for the recc will check out
>>
>I'll fake it through the day
;-;
RIP
>>
>>7695338

You're not pleb for liking his music because he can write some fine pop songs, but you are pleb for thinking those lyrics are genius poetry.
>>
A song-writer's song is best heard, not read.

That's fine that you posted the lyrics but you should have posted the song as well.
>>
>>7695338
If I was half as smart
You'd be a work of art.

I always thought that was an evocative lyric
>>
>>7695338

you are pleb cause he's literally just another sadboy with a guitar singing his sad angsty music desu
>>
>>7695472
It's 'for someone half as smart'
But I agree.
>>
>>7696323
Thanks, King of Trash Opinions.
>>
>>7696513

listen to good music like neutral milk hotel
>>
File: Cax55KsUMAEtVjJ.jpg (33 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Cax55KsUMAEtVjJ.jpg
33 KB, 600x600
>>7695338
nah, you are a pleb because you feel a need to have all your tastes validated by the inmates of an digital psychiatric institution/ japanimation emporium
>>
>>7695338
Elliott is my absolute favorite. He's the main reason that I write music and poetry. Don't worry about being a pleb and definitely don't get too deep into Jandek. He made some alright music and mostly hundreds of hours of pretentious rambling.
>>
>>7696780

Nice cognitive dissonance
>>
>>7695338
Don't care about his lyrics but he sounds great, especially on XO
>>
>>7696729
interestingly it's the inhabitants of real psychiatric institutions who've gone longest without validation
>>
>>7695357
>jandek

this is one of those things i will never understand isn't it.
>>
>>7695357
didn't think I'd see jandek on here, pretty cool

OP I like Elliott too, def check jandek out
>>
>>7695338
His lyrics reached their peak on his self-titled album to be honest family
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.