[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is death of the author wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: CbFGjJ7VAAEVz97.jpg large.jpg (136 KB, 1024x1633) Image search: [Google]
CbFGjJ7VAAEVz97.jpg large.jpg
136 KB, 1024x1633
is death of the author wrong?
>>
I don't think it's really "wrong", but I do think it's too, intense you could say.

I think that the truth is that what the author meant for the text to say is very important, but it's not the only important thing. A writing cannot be separated from it's author, or from it's culture, or the time period it was written in. All of these things matter, but they are not the ONLY things that matter.

If in the Iliad you somehow find a criticism of modern day America, you aren't necessarily WRONG (unless you're absolutely bullshitting), but what you're saying is still not actually what the text meant.
>>
The point of 'death of the author' is not that the author's opinion/interpretation of their own work isn't fundamentally and totally meaningless and arbitrary and useless but that their opinion/etc is equally as valid (as long as it is as cogent and coherent and ... logical) as any other's (under the same criteria).
>>
>>7694729
Only if you take it too literally and start thinking that it means all extratextual context is irrelevant.
>>
>>7694729
No. Everyone dies eventually :^)
>>
>>7694769
this guy gets it
>>
It's a method you fucking tard. It's a lot easier to get a reading from the text itself than to try to guess what the author was thinking at the time, that just leads down the banal path of being a biographer instead of interpreting texts.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.