[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I a bad Christian if I've read Confessions but not the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: confessions of augustine.jpg (18 KB, 182x280) Image search: [Google]
confessions of augustine.jpg
18 KB, 182x280
Am I a bad Christian if I've read Confessions but not the actual Bible all the way through?
>>
>>7694636

Of course you are. You need to read it and learn from it. Then you can understand the essence of your religion.
>>
>>7694636

Just go to your church. They give you easy summaries of the best and most important parts of the Bible, so you don't actually have to read it.
>>
Read the Lego Bible (Brick Testament), it's pretty cool desu. It's the complete (I'm pretty sure they have every verse) Old and New Testament with accompanying Lego imagery. It's available online for free.
>>
File: monty python face.jpg (8 KB, 236x249) Image search: [Google]
monty python face.jpg
8 KB, 236x249
>>7694643
>so you don't actually have to read it
>>
>>7694636
Christians went without reading the bible for hundreds of years, you are fine. You probably should read it, but reading the bible isn't a commandment.
>>
>>7694644
ok maybe they don't have every verse, but it's hella entertaining
>>
>>7694655
How would you know without reading it?
>>
File: 1449778045195.jpg (59 KB, 331x319) Image search: [Google]
1449778045195.jpg
59 KB, 331x319
>>7694671
>>
>>7694636
Well, you're a terrible Protestant, but you'd make an excellent Catholic.
>>
>>7694671
checkmate
>>
>>7694671
Probably by reading it.
>>
>>7694636
>implying the Bible isn't meant primarily to be listened to during liturgy
>implying studying the Bible privately isn't just a secondary devotion to complement the former
>>
File: sphinx.png (263 KB, 600x426) Image search: [Google]
sphinx.png
263 KB, 600x426
>>7694829
>implying the Bible isn't meant primarily to be listened to during liturgy
tfw It was all in Greek and I couldn't understand it
>>
i wanted to like st. augustine but the dude was too much of a normie for me to take him seriously as a saint, shit dude was practically a chad and then he wants to get all holier than thou after stabbing hot north african punani for his whole life? not feelin it
>>
>>7695065
didn't he have like one lover, who he actually loved, and had a child with? she was from a lower social class so his mom forbade his marriage to her and tried to break them off
>>
>>7695081
he abandoned his true love and son, married some other chick, all while tapping plenty of random ass...i think he'd be better off as a muslim, as we can see he is truly a son of africa not europe
>>
>current year
>Jesus
impending fedora and hominem from buttmad christfags
>>
>>7695111
africa was not arab at the time.
>>
OP is a faggot and should be put to death.
>>
>>7695125
no shit but africa was still africa and op is still a faggot
>>
>tfw /lit/ is now full of Republicans from /pol/ who watch Fox News, fuck their cousins, wear sunglasses and a cowboy hat, have sunburnt necks, have a gun rack with a gun rack on it, live in a trailer park in a swamp, worship Christ, read the Bible every night, go to church every day, believe in the Illuminati, think women are nothing but masturbation tools/fuckdolls, think women have small brains and only have the mental capacity to be interested in cat GIFs, think every woman is a "friendzoning manipulative pampered ice queen cunt", think every single Jew is responsible for the world's ills, brush off the killings of innocent men, women, and children as "le happy merchant :^)" or "muh six gorillion", don't believe in evolution, think gay marriage causes tornadoes, think video games are Satanic propaganda designed to teach kids evolution, burn science books for Jesus, want to render the planet uninhabitable due to Republican greed, think the Earth is 6000 years old, think Jim Crow laws were right, genuinely hate black people because "dark pigment makes dem dindu niggers commit crimes, burn em at the stake :^)", and pretend "dere's a difference between dem filthy no-good niggers and hard-workin' honest black folk :^)"
>>
File: St-Augustine.jpg (618 KB, 681x864) Image search: [Google]
St-Augustine.jpg
618 KB, 681x864
>>7695111
He realized that fornication was not bringing him true happiness, which he only found through Christ. After all, he's the one who wrote "Our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee."

Augustine is an interesting counter-example for people who think hedonism and complete gratification necessarily lead to happiness.
>>
>>7694644
I'm contemplating getting this.
>>
File: VGd6zs2.jpg (8 KB, 250x229) Image search: [Google]
VGd6zs2.jpg
8 KB, 250x229
>>7695573
>One comment mentions Muslims in Africa
>This faggot has to write a thesis on how triggered he is
Mcfucking kill yourself.
>>
>>7695573
an embarrassing post from a reddit invader
>>
>>7695613
Nice tumblr filename.
By the way, who are you quoting?
>>
File: 1455157111720.jpg (680 KB, 2048x1925) Image search: [Google]
1455157111720.jpg
680 KB, 2048x1925
>>7695640
Fuck off. One comment mentioning Muslims in a joking manner isn't a reason to write a novel length essay about how much of a fag you are. I don't like /pol/ posting on /lit/ but that was fucking embarrassing. Please go back to Imgur.
>>
>>7695649
That was my first post in the thread, and I just want to know who were quoting.
>>
File: 1455086233966.png (423 KB, 524x485) Image search: [Google]
1455086233966.png
423 KB, 524x485
>>7695650
Obviously, I was describing the situation at hand. Greentexting can be used that way. Lurk a little more and you can find out. Now fuck off.
>>
>>7694643
This desu. The laity don't need to read the text directly. That's the whole function of priests and a church, to make the Word understandable to you.

And if you're not a member of the Church then honestly just stop calling yourself a Christian and accept your status as a dilettante.
>>
>>7694636
>Am I a bad Christian?
Did you think that the most devout and serious of Christians were on their knees frequently saying "have mercy on me O Lord, though I am a wicked sinner" /etc. just because it sounded cool? Did you think it was just affectation?

Did you think you got to be a good Christian just for reading Augustine?
>>
>>7694643
>>7694655
>>7694829
>>7695662
Troll posts.

The question isn't are you a bad Christian because you read x y or z. Jesus said the first and second commandments are love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and second, love your neighbor like yourself. So are you a bad Christian? I don't know, but those things matter more. Nevertheless, read your bible, that's food for your spirit.
>>
>>7695690
That's literally what I said.
>>
>>7694643
Someone needs to read Tolstoy's Kingdom of God
>>
>>7695573
Quite a few of those are fine good though
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.