[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the essential philosophical novels? I've read and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: camus[1].jpg (34 KB, 465x316) Image search: [Google]
camus[1].jpg
34 KB, 465x316
What are the essential philosophical novels?
I've read and enjoyed Camus' big three and want more.
>>
Sartre's novels?
>>
>>7694563
Anything not from french existentialists?
>>
>>7694523
What are your thoughts on the books, OP? I have read The Stranger recently and I really don't know what to make of it.
>>
>>7694673
I read it as a critique on nihilists (i.e. "don't be this guy") and simultaneously a critique on societys hate for people like Mersault. Just because he did not grieve his mothers death they sent him to die for a crime that could otherwise with a little remorse/defense shown from Mersault and some good lawyer work have been dismissed. I liked it a lot but I think I will have to read it again to understand it more thorougly.
>>
>>7694698
This is only The Stranger I didn't see you asked about all three.
>>
Critique of Pure Reason Immanuel Kant

Thus Spoke Zarathustra Friederich Nietzsche

The Republic Plato

After that it depends where you want to go and what you want to understand. What have you read so far? Are you religious or do you want to understand religion?
>>
>>7694523
Big 3?

Stranger, Plague, and Sisyphis?
>>
>>7694736

Sorry, misread. Novels?

Siddartha and Steppenwolf by Hesse are pretty good, Crime and Punishment, the Bible, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.
>>
>>7694736
>Critique of Pure Reason
>novel

O boy
>>
>>7694743
>see
>>7694742
>>
If you're interested in little treatments of philosophical ideas, Borges' fictions and Calvino's Invisble Cities would be a recommended place to start.
>>
Why do we read philosophy books?
>>
>>7694737
The Stranger, The Plague, The Fall
>>
>philosophical
>novel

No... please no. Read philosophy for philosopy, literature for literature. I've never read a philosophical novel that didn't end up muddying both the philosophy and the lit.
>>
>>7694839

Unfortunately has been my problem with Borges since I graduated high school.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.