[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Gallic War by Caesar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 9780674990807_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg (13 KB, 192x292) Image search: [Google]
9780674990807_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg
13 KB, 192x292
Which fucking translation should I get for the Gallic War and The Civil War. Was considering pic related.
>>
No translation you fucking dilettante
>>
inb4 corn
>>
File: CaesarStudying.png (1 MB, 1015x934) Image search: [Google]
CaesarStudying.png
1 MB, 1015x934
>>
>>7680979
Think on this anon. If you dedicate a decent amount of your free time to learning Latin for just a year or two you'll be considered a patrician for life. Surely you could find half an hour every day to patricianify yourself.
>>
File: 1448994880013.jpg (212 KB, 1070x444) Image search: [Google]
1448994880013.jpg
212 KB, 1070x444
>>
>>7680979
What are your longer-term interests in ancient history and latin as a language? If you have any desire to ever learn Latin, get the Loeb so you can revisit the text in its original language, especially since this is apparently a commonly used text in early Latin language classes.

If you're not interested in reading Latin, and especially if you're going to read more primary source ancient history, try to find alternative publishers like Penguin, Oxford, and Modern Library. The translations are no worse (and are often better) than Loeb, they have much more generous introductions (often 30-50 pages, compared to Loeb's typically <10), and are a lot cheaper.

If you're reading in English, Loebs are your fallback for obscure texts that aren't available anywhere else. There's no point in spending $26 on a Loeb if you can get it from Penguin for $8 (and can likely find it used for even less).

A lot of the ancient shit I read is only available from Loeb, and it's a real pain in the ass buying multiple volumes at a set $26 per book.
>>
The Oxford one is great.
>>
>>7680979
Why would you ever read Caesar translated?
Why would you ever read Caesar if not for practicing latin?
Cicero defined his writings as a soldier's one, and this is absolutely true; the structure of every of the eight books is that of a war report: first describes the territory, then the tribe that inhabits that territory, then how he heard about some threat to the roman control of the Gaul, then how he prepares to counterattack, then how the tribes allied and not to him react to the counterattack, then how there is some battle, then how the battle actually is fought, then the aftermaths of the battle, and then again some new territory and tribe, and so on for eight fucking books.
His prose is dry and boring and propagandistic (he's glorifying himself and his conduct in the eyes of the senate) and has no redeeming quality other than the simplicity that makes the book actually readable by latin learners.
oh and the facts about the tribes he inserts here and there are sometimes interesting, a bit a la Erodotus.

DO NOT READ THIS TRANSLATED
IT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF THE BOOK
>>
>>7682930
Why would I read a war report if all I'm interested in is learning the language it's written in.
>>
>>7683474
Because reports use repetitive, standardized language which is useful for learning.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.