[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books about Cinema
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: QkJUs.png (227 KB, 650x364) Image search: [Google]
QkJUs.png
227 KB, 650x364
You read them? Do you like them? Have you got any rec?

I'm reading Deleuze's Cinema 1: The Movement Image and Pasolini's Heretical Empiricism, which is only partly about cinema but hey, PPP's good anyway.

Deleuze's book is beautifully written and constructed, but I don't think I can give an opinion on his subject matter yet - at the very least is fascinating and unlike any other idea of cinema, at best it may be a grimoire for a true cinema of life. Can't really comment on Heretical Empiricism as I've picked it up today, but PPP's writing is unnervigly alive and jittery, which is always a plus in a non-fiction book.

Also read a monography on Tsukamoto's movies earlier this year and found it intriguing - anyone has recs on other monographs? Would be interested in reading about a specific director, maybe watching his movies meanwhile. Anything good on Herzog?
>>
>>7674783
Is that movie actually worth reading? Appreciate the band but never really got myself to watching the actual film.
>>
>>7674828
It's decent - unintentionally funny, beautifully shot. If you want a better movie about Japanese biker gangs / rebel culture read Burst City, directed by Sogo Ishii
>>
>>7674847
neat, thanks
>>
>>7674783

I'm reading a few books about Welles and Tarkovsky and Cocteau, who are favorite directors right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Andrei-Tarkovskys-Poetics-Cinema-Redwood/dp/1443822183

Reading this and another one, I feel really strongly about Tarkovsky again, even though I despised him about a month or more ago.
>>
The auteurist critics are good: Bazin for France and Sarris for America.
>>
>>7674881
Seems neat. Bit costly, but I'll look for a pdf. You read Sculpting in Time? I thought it was a bit too... totalitarian.

>>7674899
So, does auteuristic in this case mean they just write monographies? Cause I think I've seen a few of them floating around.
>>
Any good books on Fellini? Or should I just read Jung and holiday in Rome?
>>
>>7674783
>not poetry
>not artistic prose
OHHHH MY BOTTOM. I'M IN PAIN
>>
Read Bresson's Notes on the Cinematographer
And Tolstoy's essay about art, while not specifically about cinema, it fits conceptually
>>
>>7674984
>Sculpting in Time?

no, I'm picking up a copy in library later tho

mhm, it's an expensive lil book but I found it in the uni lib shelves

>>7675081
>Read Bresson's Notes on the Cinematographer

merci for le rec
>>
Herzog is the original Überhack imho tbqh
>>
>>7675081
Seconding anon's thanks for the rec. I'll look into that book

>>7675120
>uni library
Oh, the pain of living in non-anglophone country

>>7675133
How come? I mean, an hack is defined by his inability on unwillingness to do more than one kind of "thing". Herzog seems pretty diverse to me.
>>
>>7675133
planning to watch cobra verde, looks kinda trashy on trailer though
>>
I am in an intro to film class right now and we're reading this and it's a pretty fun read. A big focus on historical context and avant guard cinema.

If you're into that, I may also suggest the History of Film: An Odyssey series on television; also interesting and well presented.
>>
>>7675359
Oops, forgot picture.
>>
>>7675370
That looks smooth & nice. What does it sau about avant-gard? Who does it talk about?
>>
>>7675376
In my reading so far it's talked about, as example not in depth necessarily, styles deployed by the avant guard and how those styles came to be. Collage: The Atomic Cafe, recontextualizing: Piece Touche and Brock Hudson's Home Movies.

It's not just about the avant guard, but that is part of the broader theme of the book which is historical context and the evolution of cinema as commodity and cinema as art.
>>
I found a book at the library called Borges in/and/on Film that is pretty interesting if you're a fan of Borges and film. It's a mixture of commentary on his connections to film and essays/reviews he wrote of specific films. He was surprisingly spot on in his thoughts on Citizen Kane
>>
Not to play along with the DFW meme but his essay on David Lynch was really cool and got me into watching a bunch of his stuff.
>>
>>7674783
I read plenty on cinema because it's partially a hobby and partially what I study.

Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time is insightful into his own work. Been meaning to pick up some of Herzog's and Bergman's books too.

Would strongly recommend Kurosawa's Something like an Autobiography, although it's more than just an insight into his early filmography but also his childhood and early influences on his work.
>>
>>7674783
The X on X series is pretty decent.

I liked Cassavetes and Von Trier.
>>
>>7675426
link?
>>
>>7674783
>Anything good on Herzog?
Not related but The Peregrine is his favorite book.
>>
>>7675426
It's one of the few essays I've skipped when I read that book, mainly because I hadn't watched much Lynch at the time - now maybe I could pick it up again. Thanks for reminding me!

>>7675395
I was hoping for something less hystoriographical as I'm not really into that, but it looks nice eough that if I see it on the cheap I'll pick it up.

>>7675452
You read Brakhage's Writings? Been meaning to pick those up, even if I'm not really into the guy myself outside of The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes.

>>7675479
Not him but you just need to write lynch david foster on google and it's the first result, can't post the link here because the system thinks it's spam and fuck me I can't be bothered to do anything about it
>>
>>7675504
>>7675479
http://www.lynchnet.com/lh/lhpremiere.html
>>
>>7675519
... also available in A Supposedly Fun Thing That I'll Never Do Again.
>>
>>7674783
"In the blink of an eye" by Walter Murch, the editor who was friends with Coppola and others.
>>
>>7675519
Care to tell me how you did it, cause I feel kind of like an idiot for not having figured it out
>>
>>7675530
Not to make you feel more like an idiot, but I did just type "David Foster Wallace on David Lynch" into google and it was the first result.
>>
>>7674984
aut(eur)istic
>>
>>7675543
Oh not that, I meant how did you post the link like that without the system blocking you?
>>
>>7675556
Oh... I didn't do anything special. I do have a 4chan pass but I don't think that stops link filtering.
>>
>>7675504
Not yet but Brakhage is a curiosity for me, definitely wouldn't mind a flick through it. The Act Of Seeing With One's Own Eyes was very difficult to watch.
>>
File: 1411452536778.png (146 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
1411452536778.png
146 KB, 480x352
>>7675519
>"Tarantino has made as much of a career out of ripping off Lynch as he has out of converting French New Wave film into commercially palatable U.S. paste-q.v. section"

Absolutely savage
>>
>>7675596
Yeah there's some good comments on Lynch vs Tarantino in that essay. The thing about the ear, while not damning of anyone is a very funny observation.
>>
>>7675570
Fair enough, let's leave it at being one cruel whim of the elder beings who emanted 4chan in the dawn on time.

>>7675577
Really? How come? I personally find his more abstract stuff like Dog Star Man or Mothlight harder to look at in general, cause I don't really find it engrossing or groundbreaking - but I mean, I did watch The Act of Seeing with a friend when we were seventeen so maybe I was edgy enough for it not to be anything but fun.
>>
>>7675611
The Act Of Seeing just got to me simply because it's autopsy footage. I'm a somewhat squeamish fellow sometimes and that film didn't sit right with me. Not to say it's a bad film but I think I'd be more interested in what Stan Brakhage had to say about it rather than re-watching it again.
>>
>>7675596
>converting French New Wave film into commercially palatable U.S. paste

That's a completely retarded criticism. The entire point of the New Wave is that they saw value in "commercially palatable U.S. paste". They took from Ford, Hitchcock, Hawks, etc. and added a bit of technical experimentation on top of it.
>>
>>7675751
Fair enough. I think much the same, honestly. I would like to see what he has to say for himself, his movies and the techniques he employs - even though watching his stuff is usually tedious.
>>
>>7675519
thank ye
i was on my phone so i'd asked. inb4 learn2google
>>
Bump before sleep to keep this alive untile morning
>>
Are there any good books about the Taiwanese New Wave?
>>
>>7677184
Dunno, but The Boys from Fengkuei may be one of the best comedies I've ever seen.
>>
>>7674783
If I could only read one, out of Cinema 1 or Heretical Empiricism, which would you recommend more?
>>
>>7677195

>The Boys from Fengkuei
>comedy

huh
>>
Tarkovsky's Painting in Time or whatever it was called was good. Great book.
>>
>>7674881
>Cocteau
except for La Belle et la Bête he's utter shit
>>
>>7674899
>Bazin
>not Brasillach or Rebatet
Step up senpay
>>
>>7678008
Well I laughed a lot.

>>7677911
Cinema 1, unless you already know Pasolini and love him. Deleuze's book is the superior text.
>>
>>7678464
lol fitting that a pleb like you would get angry at the only real artist on that list over pleb shit like Tarkovsky or Welles
>>
>>7674783
>Herzog
Herzog recently published an updated volume of interviews - "A Guide For The Perplexed". There's a lot of his personal philosophy, hilarious stories, and info about most of his movies. It's great.
>>
>>7678464
Don't be too harsh, Orphée is good too.
>>
>>7678472
Think I've seen in a couple of local bookstores, definately interesting - maybe a bit costly.
>>
>>7678472
>>7678632
I can share this as epub if anybody's interested...
>>
>>7678647
libgen
>>
>>7678470

Would you consider Shakespeare "pleb" because he's accessible? Geez its freshman English dwuaf around here

Enjoy your Michael Snow
>>
>>7678647
Why yes please
>>
>>7678474

Orphee is fantastic
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.