[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the nobel prize in literature relevant at all?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: nobel.png (259 KB, 398x396) Image search: [Google]
nobel.png
259 KB, 398x396
Is the nobel prize in literature relevant at all?
>>
No.
>>
>>7672265
Yes
>>
It's a prestigious award but it is awarded to people that make shit/ok lit for political reasons
Example: Churchill
Coetzee
Selma Lagerloff
Off the top of my mind
>>
Very
>>
>>7672265
yes, it pushes your sales like nothing other.
Also gives you 1 million euro in order to finance your NEET lifestyle
>>
>>7672280
This. Almost as important as the Oscars.
>>
John Steinbeck
Jean-Paul Sartre
Albert Camus
Ernest Hemingway
William Faulkner

The only relevant nobel prize laureates.
>>
>>7672265
Yes. If the author is somewhat obscure he'll get translated and printed everywhere
>>
>>7672294
>Sartre
Try again Mr. High School Textbook
>>
>>7672300
I said he was relevant to literature, not that he is my idol, Mr. Faggot.
>>
>>7672276
Why is Selma Lagerlöf shit and what where the political reasons for her getting the price in your opinion?
>>
nobel discussions on /lit/ are always a shitfest

in short it's very relevant but good luck seeing that on /lit/ cause everyone here prefers meme books to actual literature
>>
>>7672265
No
Literally the only Nobel prizes that matter are the science ones

All the rest of them are trash

The literature prize is at least above the peace prize though
>>
>>7672294

Besides Faulkner this list is cancer
>>
So what's the actually relevant literary award setting some standards of quality of the content?

For me, Hugo awards for sci-fi are pretty good factor for determining whats a good sci-fi lit when I want to read some. I was rarely disappointed.
>>
>>7672504
if you dont like the majority of nobel winners, you just don't like literature that much

the nobel isn't the problem, /lit/ is
>>
>>7672504
be included in a meme /lit/ jpeg
>Hugo
more like sjwgo
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>7672504
There isn't one
Literary awards are meme tier
>>
>>7672308
She wrote nothing excellent and won only because she is Swedish
She is not shit, but not great.
>>
>>7672514
Yes I expected this response.
>>
>>7672504
Nobel, Jerusalem, Prince of Asturias, Man Booker International, Miguel de Cervantes, Camões

Rómulo Gallegos, Goncourt
>>
>>7672294
>No mention of Hamsun,Yeats, Mann, Beckett or Neruda.
>>
>>7672276
Look at this fucker trying to shit on Curchill
>>
>>7672298
>he'll
>>
>>7672569
Churchill was a faggot that never wrote shit
>>
>>7672513
Not at all. It just means you don't like mainstream literature because all of their choices since the beginning are boring as fuck.
>>
File: 143883552879.jpg (254 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
143883552879.jpg
254 KB, 900x948
>>7672585
>he doesn't rate Mann, Yeats, Pirandello, Bunin, Faulkner, Mauriac, Gide, Andrić, Ángel Asturias, Beckett, Neruda, Kawabata, Montale, Bellow, Canetti, Kawabata, Grass, Naipaul, Le Clézio, Vargas Llosa, Tranströmer, Modiano and the list goes on...
>>
Toni Morrison won the Nobel. That should clue you in as to its 'worth'
>>
>>7672276
Morrison and Russell too.
>>
>>7672276
>Churchill
His biography of Marlborough as an Apologetic is a masterpiece that is NEVER discussed here, and his prolific works suchs as the history of the english speaking peoples and his memoirs of the second world war fufills the Nobel of literature: "in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction".
>>
>>7672477
This, Svetlana Alexievich was read by maybe two people that frequent /lit/ according to the archive, and both loved it. I read Chernobyl and it was a masterpiece, and Zinky Boys is up soon.

Fuck meme books, they ruin thoughtful exploratory discussion of literature.
>>
>>7672555
>Nobel, Jerusalem, Prince of Asturias, Man Booker International, Miguel de Cervantes, Camões
>
>Rómulo Gallegos, Goncourt

I enjoyed this post. The pulitzer for non-fiction also makes me happy.

Pulitzer for fiction sometimes seems tied to NYT best seller lists.
>>
Octavio Paz tho
>>
>>7672662
What a strange, sad post.
>>
>>7672276
>political reasons

I think the nobel prizes emphasize that their winners help the world or something, so it shjouldn't be suprising that their literature winners won for only political reasons.
>>
>>7672294
Faulkner is the only decent name there
>not mentioning yeats
>>
>>7672634
Just because /lit/ doesnt like Beloved and it makes me roll my eyes doesnt mean that it isnt a hugely influential work that dominates the discussion of literature.
>>
>>7672696
Did you say how good it was somewhere in this post?
>>
>>7672703
No I think its trash. I think Citizen Kane is boring too, but that doesnt mean I dont understand why other people think its important.
>>
>>7672584
You are also. At least he lead a nation and helped fight WWII.
POSTER HAS NO DISCERNIBLE TALENT
>>
>>7672706
Yes it does senpai
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.