[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. I teach English at a local high school and out of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: Average English Teacher.gif (999 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
Average English Teacher.gif
999 KB, 500x211
Hey /lit/.

I teach English at a local high school and out of the 150 kids I'm responsible for there are about 2 that genuinely enjoy reading. The rest approach the written word with open disdain and, occasionally, hostility. I realize my expectations may be too high for some of my students, but I've been looking for ways to get them involved in poetry and literature that don't tread into out-and-out bribery.

Poetry was a disaster. Shakespeare's on the horizon and it's a grim prospect already. I asked them to tell me what their favorite songs were about, from a lyrical standpoint, and the majority of them revealed they "don't really listen to the words."

tl;dr

How do you teach plebs to read?
>>
File: bye.jpg (2 KB, 91x153) Image search: [Google]
bye.jpg
2 KB, 91x153
>>
>>7668818
just write out insane, enthusiastic lectures every night. never engage the kids or have them raise their hands
>>
File: why.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>7668818
If you can't get people excited about reading, then you're a shitty teacher

saged
>>
>>7668822
Goodbye.
>>7668830
Thank you, ghost of Robin Williams that browses 4chan.
>>7668832
I'm sure you're an expert on the subject of teaching. Enjoy your evening.
>>
>>7668818
Don't be so disappointed. The most miserable and loathsome among them can turn out to be educated, reading adults.

I hated assignments. Reading was could be nice. I've read books that I ignored in highschool.

Really I would have loved some edgy, or life is meaningless, or dystopian stuff.

Highschool was a major existential crisis for me and I didn't even know there was stuff out there about it, telling you how to be a man
>>
Kids are retards. Never expect anything from them. Just fuck them hard enough so that they will hate reading and will not help the YA books industry by buying twilight and john green books
>>
>>7668818
are they black?
>>
>>7668859
Majority, yes.

>>7668844
I tend to agree, but the standards mandated by the state force some kind of testable quality to every lecture. I have no choice but to give them work in the form of activities, worksheets, study groups, and group reading, and follow those up with tests that somehow prove they're good readers. It's a nightmare.

Recently they've scrapped individual reading altogether. One day per week the kids will be in a computer lab answering comprehension questions about informational text provided by Khan Academy.

>>7668852
These are not the kinds of kids who do YA reading, or any reading at all. It's my first year at this school so they gave me the low-performing students as a kind of hazing.
>>
>>7668875
you can't teach blacks. they're not as smart as white students, they can't be domesticated
>>
>>7668818
That's a tough one. I can only imagine the shit you face five days a week. The way I see it, kids who wanna read are gonna read. Some might find out they like reading after they get out of school, and some won't.
>>
high school kids will hate anything they have no vested interest in

have the students right down five to ten things they enjoy on a notecard. could be anything, vague, specific, a person, a hobby, a movie, a brand anything.

then go home and spend the weekend finding literature related to shit they enjoy. since you're posting here i'm going to assume you have no friends and your family doesn't interact with you anymore, so you use this amazing free time to find literature that your students would actually gib a fly fugg aboot. and don't assign long af essays, that will make them never want to read the book. 3 to 5 page papers per book.

at the least try it m8
>>
>>7668818
no one ever became a reader or a writer because of high school english. sorry mate, give up the dream. you turn kids away from reading, it is just a fact of the job
>>
>>7668885
>have the students right down
I'll be sure to do that.

>don't assign essays
I can't do that, man. State requirements. Every kid has to pass a statewide writing test or they cannot be allowed to pass high school. We have to force them to write.
>>7668887
That's certainly what it feels like. I was just curious if anyone here had any educational experiences they could share.
>>
>>7668891
>I can't do that, man. State requirements. Every kid has to pass a statewide writing test or they cannot be allowed to pass high school.

well thank fucking god someone somewhere has some standards, some of the high school grads around here are elementary school level
>>
>>7668903
Which is the problem. You can't actually hold the kids back beyond a certain point, but you set a hard limit at high school. So what happens is exactly what I'm experiencing: students with limited education face a brick wall for the first time in their lives and they either excel or resign themselves to the failure they're used to, trusting in the system they've come to know to get them through it.

Their parents abuse the system as well, and high school is arguably more of a challenge for them. Where their child was protected from "failure" in younger grades, the prospect of failing high school brings a lot of them out of denial. They push their kids harder than they've ever been pushed, and again the kids either shut down or excel.
>>
>>7668818
High school is just an awful time for anyone who doesn't already know (or think they know) exactly what they want to do with the rest of their life. Which is most kids these days.

I myself didn't start reading seriously until my 20s, and while I didn't hate everything we had to read in school (except for Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre, and Ethan Frome, fuck that shit), my interest in reading would've never developed had I not pursued it on my own.
>>
>>7668818
Do you teach at a predominantly black or latino school? If the answer is yes, don't bother.
>>
>>7668818
Why do you want to? I hate trying to get people to like stuff I do.

Even as a teacher, I still would not want to try and get them to like the stuff.
They do the time for the grades you do the time for the money, and occasionally enjoy a chat with the few that do enjoy literature.

Maybe I'm missing something because I would never want to be a teacher in the first place.
>>
>>7668875
Dude, black students aren't going to learn to enjoy reading. I hate to break it to you, but it's simply not going to happen. Black people are retarded and if they want to go to college, Ivy League school will take them under affirmative action if they have mediocre grades and a sport under their belt so they literally have no motivation towards intellectual curiosity.

If you want to enjoy your career as an English teacher, I suggest you angle for a transfer to a white suburban district.

Or take a pay cut and teach private/catholic school. You'll have more freedom there to teach the way you'd like to teach too.

But seriously, just get away from the niggers or you're not going to survive teaching.
>>
>>7668925
I didn't want to be one either. I was short on cash and about a month away from homelessness and it seemed like a relatively simple job. I'm reevaluating my decision every single day.
>>
>>7668818
Be as edgy as you are allowed to be.

Ultimately though, you have to compete with screens and you will lose. I assume you are young. I got my degree as a secondary history teacher and got a decent full time sub gig for a 6 month maternity leave. The kids were little fucking shits. I dropped my degree in despair, and I think you will do so too.
>>
>>7668925
I'm not OP and I'd never want to be a teacher either, but most people who get into eduction, especially in the American public school system, do it for idealistic reasons like "making a difference" in their student's lives. That idealism is usually crushed at some point or another, but that seems to be the initial motivation for getting into the field for a lot of people since it's a shitty, underpaid, and relatively thankless job most of the time.
>>
>>7668875
>Majority, yes.

I bet the two readers are gay and or ostracized for being oreos. Blacks are awful, move to a good town and write off your pension from this position as a loss.
>>
>>7668931
>Or take a pay cut and teach private/catholic school. You'll have more freedom there to teach the way you'd like to teach too.

around my way the catholic school grads are just as retarded the black kids from the notorious public schools in the middle of the hood, i've seen filipinos that are more retarded than a black hiphopper...so much for "asians oh so smart!" propaganda bullshit
>>
>>7668947
i never got "crushed" but i did turn right wing, can't wait for trump to build that wall so we can stop wasting so much money on esl classes and heroin rehab
>>
>>7668947
If your students mostly consist of Tyrones and Ledashas you're basically a glorified babysitter. Teaching black and latinos is an awful, awful job. Every sjw should be forced to do it so they'll see how retarded and hopeless these people are.
>>
>>7668952
You from CA? Dude, the Filipinos here are really fucking retarded.
>>
>>7668968
nah, i'm on the east coast, i just get the sense that catholicism rots people's minds...people might hate but weber was pretty right
>>
give them projects that they have some creative control over, like having them act out a skit or present a video, etc. they don't normally care about your teaching or reading in general, but if they're excited for the project itself, they'll have to read the thing for reference
>>
Blame the pointless activities that high schools teach involving analyzing the fuck out of books.
>>
>>7669046
if u watched that yale literary class were the prof talks about how "new criticism" which is to say analyzing the fuck out of shit was only taught in privileged private schools for protestants and jews (catholics are told to never analyze the bible, just take the priests interpretation from on high, and this submissive approach to reading is then applied to all literature) where as poor plebs in public schools were just expected to regurgitate the plot as a way to verify that they completed the reading assignment and nothing else...so guess what? it turns out you don't know shit and probably never studied literature nor worked in education, kindly fuck off
>>
When I teach, I just apply (1) rigor and (2) constant opportunity to fall in love with the material to the pleb majority, without forcing either on them. If they want a good grade, they can step up to (1). If through (2) they discover a hidden passion, if reading Coleridge somehow kickstarts their soul after a lifetime of inactivity, awesome. I will immediately do whatever I can to help them. But otherwise, I leave (1) and (2) as unconscious processes, universally applied to the teeming mass of probably failures.

Any sign that one of them has an ember of true soul glowing, though, even if it's underneath a pile of shit, and I'll latch on to them and try my best to give them a handhold out of their dead-end prole culture.

This makes it bearable. You can have a few good experiences with the latter crowd every year, a few prodigies you nudge off onto their fledgling course of individuation, maybe uplift a gem or two from the mass of duds, and otherwise rubber stamp C's and B's on the duds' shitty papers.
>>
I was very much one of the 2 out of 150, but the most I enjoyed lit classes in high school was my senior final where I got choose the book I read and presented how I wanted
>>
>>7669057
a career in education: the post

it's addictive man, uncovered those few intelligent kids keep you coming back year after year
>>
Do you teachers think its pointless? I read my daughter the classics: Illustrated Classics, great childrens books like Dinotopia, Gilgamesh, biographies of Elizabeth and Joan of Arc, I got her to almost cry when Achilles finds out Patroclus has died. But every kid I see is just vapid. Is all this vanity and I will inevitably end up with an apathetic couple of bitches? They can think I am full of shit, but I just hate uninteresting children.
>>
File: Shakes0_2887948b.jpg (117 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
Shakes0_2887948b.jpg
117 KB, 620x388
I actually think Shakespeare might be an opportunity for you, OP. Shakespeare draws in lots of people, even those who hate literature, if it's done well.

How good a performer are you? Pick a soliloquy and fucking shout it at them to start off Shakespeare. Maybe Marc Antony's funeral oration, or Macbeth's "brief candle" speech. Something where the rhythm of the blank verse picks up and the blood starts to pump.
>>
I always almost failed english class in highschool, despite reading at/above university level. I would overthink simple projects, and couldn't pay attention because I already knew the matter of the lectures and texts. Nothing could be worse for a young person's interest in books than highschool english.
>>
>>7669149
i don't know, i think the archaic language is alienating to people, especially if u have esl ppl, plus u think they're responding to it, but they only like it cuz they watched the movie...i'd rather go with ibsen
>>
>>7669149
Having to hear members of the class try to orate it can be hell, though. Always monotone, flat, slow, tired; even the smart ones, as if they don't want to be singled out for actually fucking enjoying something.
>>
I hate reading in school too because it was forced.
>>
>>7669168
Then you don't make them orate it, you read it to them yourself.

Actually, don't make ANYONE read out loud if they don't want to. Most people can't read out loud for shit, I always hated to hear my classmates read things out loud because they always got it wrong. If no one volunteers to read out loud, OP should consistently do it himself. This is particularly true for Shakespeare, where so much depends on rhythm and poetics.
>>
Let them choose their reading. Tell them to run it by you first. Then you set projects and writing assignments around it.
>>
>>7669180
whenever i got called on to read out loud i just started reading it fast like i was reading it myself so it sound like a fucking youtube on 2x speed minus the chipmunk pitch, so even if have high reading comprehension it doesn't mean you're a gonna sound like a pro audiobook narrator
>>
>>7668875

i saw this video about an English teacher that tried to get his students excited about literature by going over / analyzing Kendrick Lamar albums - such as To Pimp a Butterfly.

I think he even had them write their own raps and stuff. they seemed to be into it.
>>
>>7669194
If he does that they'll all

A) Choose Harry Potter and comic books and other complete shit
B) Not read it anyway, despite that
>>
>>7669213

you could also do this with tv shows

for example Empire is supposedly adapted from King Lear
>>
>>7669135
sound like she's a catch
>>
Teach college.
>>
File: 62345234534.png (158 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
62345234534.png
158 KB, 500x375
>>7668859
>>7668875
Watch the Wire S4
>>
>>7669246
hate to evaporate ur illusions but ... same shit
>>
File: 3457654842.jpg (26 KB, 300x280) Image search: [Google]
3457654842.jpg
26 KB, 300x280
>>7668844
>tfw you think you are having "original thoughts"
>>
>>7669584
My first year of college was essentially highschool 2.0. Might be because the school isn't anything special, and my highschool was pretty large.
>>
>>7668875
>Majority. Yes
Teach them books from Black culture.
>inb4 we Wuz kangz
Okay, whatever. Doesn't matter the Egyptian race. Most Blacks believe to be descended from them and having them read The Egyptian Book of the Dead or parts of the Old Testament could get them interested theoretically.
>>
>>7669593
the main difference is in college everybody is a little more mature and with an eye on adult life, but the like intellectual level isn't much changed unless ur at some top 20 university that recruits high acheivers...but even then ur gonna get a lot of gated community robots with helicopter parents that never did anything out of intellectual curiosity in their life...so they read the canon, but only to check it off on their admission application, bleh, education and intelligence are only vaguely related, reading and intelligence are much more closely related
>>
>>7669599
have them read that shitty ta nehisi book, we know it's not that good, but the kids never read soul on ice or the fire this time, and even then those books seem old as fuck to some kid who's 15 and his mom is 30...coates shit will feel relevant but still hit on the major themes of race in america, even if we know he's hack, do it for the kids
>>
>>7668818
>I asked them to tell me what their favorite songs were about, from a lyrical standpoint, and the majority of them revealed they "don't really listen to the words."
Holy fuck I have to words. I understand not reading books but not even listening to the words of the songs you listen to. What level of consciousness are you at to be like this, near comatose?
>>
>>7669599
>Most Blacks believe to be descended from them and having them

i've seen a few students that look like they could have been carved out of granite and sitting in the Egyptian wing of the Met, so sometimes even I'm not sure they wasn't kangs...now of course most are losers who got captured in some west african tribal skirmish and sold to whitey, but africa is a big place with a long pre-history, u don't know what happened fo sho
>>
>>7668931
fuck you, you racist prick.
>>
>>7668818
Your kids were right - poetry is shit.
>>
>>7669584
>>7669593
>>7669608
>justifying going to garbage schools
kek
>>
>>7668878
fuck off with that shit
>>
How many of these are true for you, OP?

1.) Students are nowhere near the level of reading comprehension they should be for their grade.
2.) Students have a very limited vocabulary and a poor grasp of pronouncing words out loud.
3.) Students are hostile to assignments with open interpretations/answers and just want something they can google.
4.) Students are hostile to having their writing being judged and would rather not write than have their work be criticized.
5.) Students are hostile to assigned materials as it was made by -insert group here- they rail against.
6.) Students are hostile to characters encountered in fiction, often belittling/othering them to avoid empathizing with them.
>>
Take Alessia Cara's song Here

Print out the lyrics

Go over it with them

Do it with passion

Actually give a damn about what's happening in the song, most of the kids can relate to this garbage

>I love this song, suck it

Don't expect any positive feedback

You'll probably ruin the song for some of them, good riddance

Stop sucking as a teacher and expecting your students to be on your level or even 10 levels beneath. You're there to teach them, not just the curriculum but to even apprentice them in the appreciation of literature. That means you have to pass on the spark. You may see fire, you may not.

Mostly not

Mostly they'll be staring at you, soft as sponges with dead, fishy eyes, watching, staring, judging, detesting you. But still, pour out from your soul.

Because otherwise, you'll suck. Just like all the other teachers before you that sucked and turned the thankless job of being a teacher into just a job.

God bless you, teacher-bro

Please stop sucking
>>
>>7668887
That's disappointing to just see someone believe. My grade 11 high school teacher inspired me to read. Before her class I would just BS my answers and essays on any assigned book and get As and Bs
>cuz brains
But after having her show us the context of where a lot of the work was coming from, what it expressed from the author's life, basically adding dimension to the book beyond the book, as well as writing actual thought-out responses to my essays and not just the usual "good work", or "xyz is very good", but actually challenging my thoughts---in other words, by engaging me, she called me higher. Won't work for everyone. But some students like me can get an A on cruise control but will actually put in more effort when there's more to it than just a letter.
>>
>>7669642
But what he said is true.
>>
>>7669169
Do you hate going to work because it's forced, and stopping at red lights because it's forced too?
>>
Pop songs have no literary value anyway, why would you care? Even the 'music fans' on /lit/ and /mu/ listen to some of the most vapid nonsense imaginable.
>>7668992
>catholicism is bad
f'dora
>>7669223
I chose Faust for a class that was essentially Comparative World Literature.
Every iteration of the tale I could find, with research on their secondary inspirations.
>>
>>7669685
All of the above. Wow.

Do you teach?
>>
SO many of these online

http://aceandres.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/confessions-of-white-teacher-in-maily.html
>>
>>7670018
Not the guy who posted that, but dude, I've taught inner city in majority black and latino schools and that experience turned me from a Democrat from a household of well meaning liberal parents who were humanities professors into a Trump supporter.

I am now working front-end in finance getting rich by indirectly exploiting the parents of these very people. I don't give a fuck, they are retarded and deserve everything they have coming.

If you answered yes to those questions, you teach a classroom with less than 5 white/asian kids. (Filipinos don't count as Asian under that metric)

America is going to continue failing if it keep on pouring resources into these retards and the failure races like it is doing now.
>>
>>7668818
this is how western civilisation dies
>>
File: EricCartmenez.jpg (397 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
EricCartmenez.jpg
397 KB, 1920x1080
HOW DO I REACH THESE KIDDDDZZZZ?!??!?
>>
You tell them you know most are going to fail, so you're all going to have to read Pimp together to ensure their future prospects in life. If they complain, call them punks.
After that, you explain Desdemona is like that white bitch OJ killed.
>>
How fucked is our future if our educational institutions are wasting resources by catering to the lowest common denominator?
>>
>>7670018
inner city teacher detected
save the few kids who want to learn, ignore the rest
>>
>>7671540
Epic reference bro
>>
>>7668952
Flips are basically mexicans.
>>
>>7669739
>>catholicism is bad
>f'dora

nice try popelicker, but i'm protestant, your satanic pagan bastardization of jesus's teachings is ruining people's lives
>>
>>7669684
You're either a nigger in which case you are lying to yourself or you have no experience of blacks beyond maybe one or two on their own and never en masse, wake up and smell the coffee.
>>
Make kids read news papers?

When I was growing up, i was a white student who hated reading, still do, but nobody spoted the problem until I was an adult.
I have dyslexia.

I dont like reading much but I enjoy reading news papers, I like reading practical shit.
>>
File: protestants.png (328 KB, 463x684) Image search: [Google]
protestants.png
328 KB, 463x684
>>7671670
and your dilution of the teachings of Our Lord, the neglect of the Tradition is promoting ignorance of the Faith and stupidity.
>>
>>7671687
dude, this boggles my mind every day...kids constantly staring at screens with text on it...you'd think it would rub off on their reading skills at least a little right? nope. then again bullshit like tumblr and vine make it possible to illiterateblog i guess
>>
>>7671698
protestants and jews are rich, catholics are poor. that is all the proof i need to see which one god favors. peace out, pagan scrub.
>>
>>7671705
How Christian of you to judge by the material wealth, heretic.

But hey, your filth invented the "gospel" of prosperity, right?
>>
>>7671708
just learned it from studying yo buddy machievalli, don't start hatin now my dude
>>
>>7671659
Thanks family. Thought it was highly applicable.
>>
>>7668875
I spent four years in a critical category school after graduating to help pay my student loans(incentives).

In short, they will never read for you. I would also wager 60% of your students are severely underperforming for their grade level or are functionally illiterate. It's embarrassing to them and they will act up or do anything other than expose their reading level.

I'm so sorry anon. Leave NOW. I didn't and spent 4 years in a living hell that I'm sure affects me to this day as it killed a part of my idealism and enthusiasm for teaching.
>>
Seriously, don't even bother trying to teach black or hispanic children, even if you try to get them interested by appealing to hip hop music and their urban 'culture', they'll never develop a true interest in reading, it's pointless.
>>
>>7668887
That's not true.

I had two highschool english literature teachers who instilled the love of literature (and even poetry!) in me.

Go figure. They knew that they were talking about and were interesting people. One was much stricter than the other but it didn't make any difference.

The only difference I see between my situation and OP is that I went to a nice predominantly white international school where the classes sizes are small. We didn't have any "minority problems"
>>
If you're teaching blacks you should just bring in a Popeye's menu and maybe a few welfare forms so they at least function in life somewhat. Ignore literature and anything beyond the utilitarian, they won't get it.
>>
>>7671670
>'protestant'
>Christian
Because revelation wasn't complete until Martin Luther turned up. The hypocritical contradictions of your ten thousand self-worshiping cults caused Christianity to be undermined, the watered down nonsense of 'protestantism' was only ever one step away from atheism as has been borne out. Snake handlers, dyke 'bishops', 'It doesn't matter how much or how badly you sin a long as you claim to believe in Jesus before you die', ecumenicalism. You 'people' will be the first to start chanting to devils in the koran in a few years. You've been deceived by Satan brah, you'll find out soon enough.
>>
Black do not want to learn, you're a baby sitter.
>>
>>7669055
All the literary analysis I remember doing in high school was the teacher explaining to us the "correct" interpretation. We would then write about why the correct interpretation is true.
>>
>>7671789
Which is the crucial difference!!!
>>
File: PutinCookie.jpg (151 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
PutinCookie.jpg
151 KB, 500x348
>>7671790
Kek. This person gets it.
>>
>>7669625
>literally trying to argue that they wuz kangz
>>
http://www.black-and-right.com/2013/07/01/before-its-deleted-of-the-day/
>>
>>7669168
>tfw I played the fuck out of shylock in my highschool english class
>tfw everyone actually enjoyed acting it out together, even the jock and Stacey types
feels good man
>>
>>7671755

Nice get. And I agree.

You see, they used to have to get an education in order to get a good job, but now with affirmative action and welfare, all they need to say is "gibs me dat" and society bends their knee in order to please them.
>>
I hated reading as well as a kid, I only started picking up reading when I was 22.

You can't expect everyone to read in a world of video games and high definition movies. I personally only started reading because video games were beginning to bore me.

Perhaps tell them that video games will start to bore them in the future, and you should pick up reading from a younger age to develop reading comprehension and an improved vocabulary. That way they will not only understand the world better, but they'll also have the necessary vocabulary to express their feelings. Maybe say that a lot of good rappers have a pretty advanced vocabulary? Or would that be too much pandering? Maybe tell them you know reading might seem boring in today's world, but if you get the knack of it an entire universe opens up or some gay shit like that. I'm getting pretty excited myself because I have all these new books to read.
>>
>>7671795
>. You 'people' will be the first to start chanting to devils in the koran in a few years.

let me know when a catholic country actually contributes anything of value in the battle against islam
>>
File: 1434214877162.jpg (339 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1434214877162.jpg
339 KB, 1536x2048
Forget Shakespeare and other fluff like that. If you're going to get them to read at least get them reading something useful, something that can actually change their miserable lives rather than offering, at best, some form of escapism. Black kids at failing public schools don't have that luxury. Make every page count.

http://www.slideshare.net/crdixon/aynrandthecomprachicos
>>
>>7671705
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God"
>>
>>7669168

If they're monotone or unenthusistic, make fun of their shit acting skills (What the heck is that?) and tell them to sit down immediately.

Pick someone else, preferably someone who you think would be suitable for this, and tell them to put passion in it.

Then recall the monotone faggot. They'll try harder this time. If not, then detention or whatever.
>>
The problem is you, OP.

The state demands from you two things:

1. Make children pass tests.
2. Baby sit.

That is it. There is no literature in there.

You have a different personal requirement:

1. Engage with students of literature.

Are you going to struggle against the state with a group that does not want to be there by choice, and does not want what you want in any way, shape, or form?

You are not a hero. You are fucking insane.

Your goal is to stay alive, and use this job as a stepping stone to a place where the students are -- where you belong. If you find an occasional pearl in the mud you can make use of them for practice, and as a means of staying sane. Be aware you have to do that on your time, not class time. Class time here belongs to the state.

Anything else is your own problem, and relating your self inflicted woes DOES NOT BELONG ON /LIT/!

I do not preach despair. I am simply saying your career does not end here. Stop screwing around and work your way out, otherwise you are just as irresponsible as the feckless fools you see sitting before you, and the system that holds you.
>>
>>7668875
> they gave me the low-performing students

Ouch. Sorry, anon.

You seem like a nice guy and I wish I had some teaching experience to help you out, but I don't. I was never in the lower sets but I know the types of kids that were and they're real assholes and don't ever really amount to anything, so their ability to read or their motivation to do so is unlikely to change.

I guess what you could do is set them a simple task like writing a report on the first chapter of a pretty simple book (I'm not sure what the syllabus is like where you teach so I wouldn't feel up to making a suggestion on what book).

Other than that, I don't know, anon. Have you tried asking other english teachers at the school you work at in what they used to do when they taught the lower sets? They might offer some good advice or suggestions.

I know group reading sessions are usually out of the question because of how disruptive asshole kids can be. Maybe try and get a much more strict teacher in the class to keep an eye on them from time to time if that teacher isn't on duty?

Dude, I'm sorry. I always felt bad about teachers that were given the lower classes to handle: it's a job I could never do and it always looked challenging.

Just never cave in to the kids, no matter what. Some of them are sadistic to the extent where they'll want to make you cry (I remember kids used to try this a lot whenever we had substitute teachers). I'm sure you know this already and maybe the other teachers told you the same in that sense. Stay strong, man.
>>
>>7669213
this desu. I'm sure you find a lot of hip hop that you can analyse for content and maybe even some that relates to course readings (maybe not the second).
>>
>>7669213
This.

Just post a 'Is Hip Hop poetry?' and let the raging blacks throw in their best.
>>
File: 1440014754205.jpg (81 KB, 619x406) Image search: [Google]
1440014754205.jpg
81 KB, 619x406
>>7669642
>>7669684
>>
OP, basically >>7671929 is what you have to do. You have to focus on the students that actually want to learn to read. Show them that they'll be rewarded for studying.
>>
>>7669213
Could work, actually. Especially with Lamar who's a fairly poetic rapper and storyteller.

Maybe try get them interested in a book by suckering them into watching a film that's actually an adaptation of the book. Maybe open up a debate whether books are better than their adaptations?
>>
>>7671699
It always bothered me too, people claiming they don't like reading but they do it instinctively on a day-to-day basis. I mean, reading Facebook posts isn't bound to improve one's vocabulary or memory like a book might, but it's still a form of reading.
>>
>>7671748
> I would also wager 60% of your students are severely underperforming for their grade level or are functionally illiterate. It's embarrassing to them and they will act up or do anything other than expose their reading level

Shit, I remember kids like this in school. They stammered and stopped while reading aloud (if they read aloud) in class after every word like there was a sequence of ellipsis everywhere.

I remember one kid tearing pages out of The Tempest and screaming "this goes against what I believe in, I'm not reading no shit about gay trees"
>>
I may be a little late to the thread but I think the answer you are looking for is; Visual Novels.

Sometimes it is hard for people to conjure mental images of the characters interacting, and visual novels does that for them.

Then again, Visual novels are almost exclusively Japanese love and erotic stories, so finding one that is both academically and literary substantial will be difficult.

Also ask them to write alternative endings to the stories they wright. This forces them to read the story regardless of whether they enjoy it or not, and make them express their own interpretations of the story.
>>
Make learning a game.

Bring in candy or something that kids will want (nothing expensive, around the $5 mark).

Get them to compete in literature: whoever has the best book report by next week; whoever has the best reading ability in class; whoever engages the most with class; whoever shows the most improvement in their learning; whoever is the best behaved; etc. They get the prize.

It might sound childish but this works. Kids will take things more seriously when there's something they can win out of it. Eventually they'll find themselves motivated enough to learn literature - it's the whole Pavlov's dog thing. They'll associate literature with success.
>>
>>7671980
Taking a lead from your pic related, why not maus?
>>
>>7671980
>Visual Novels.

in civilized countries these are called "children's book" aka "picture books" and should be read at toddler age, not in mother fucking high school or junior college
>>
>>7671994
>>7671980
Maus would be pretty good actually. Could be suitable for History class too.
>>
>>7671699
>>7671966
I think for me its length, as I read more and more it becomes very difficult, words start to jumble, and I hit a point of shutting down.

Normally it has to be something that involves the reader, so in my case, it was news papers or manuals, because I would use what I read from it. Unlike say 12 years a slave "which I read"

But that was back then, I read a book every now and then when I have time but I hit that point of word jumble and shut down.
>>
>>7668878
>>7668931
>>7668949
>>7671972
>>7668919
>>7668962
>>7669057
>>7669685
>>7671808

Lmao this shit is funny to read as a black guy.
>>
>>7672008
Some visual novels are extremely praise worthy.

Such as Watchmen.
>>
>>7672020
> quoting my post about the kid tearing pages out of The Tempest

You know, I remember the same kid doing something similar when it came to sitting SATs too. He tore up the paper, sat back in his chair and claimed that exams were against his beliefs.

Not a clue what happened to that kid now but I can assume one thing safely is that he probably never moved out of that small town.
>>
>>7672025
u kno what kids like even more than Visual Novels? Motion Novels! Just show ur kids a bunch of movies every day while u sip coffee in the back of the room and count ur bucks! fuck yeah, why waste your time teaching people to read when u can just redefine reading to something that's not reading!
>>
>>7672025
Man, I've seen twice already today people mentioning Watchmen as not a typical graphic novel.

I've been meaning to read it for a while. I'll start it next week once I have more work out of the way.
>>
>>7672037
Kek.

Being black is some surreal shit.
>>
Do they teach Malcolm X's autobiography in inner-city schools or is that more of a modern history class type thing?

If inner-city schools have more black students than white, wouldn't teaching Malcolm X's autobiography be a good way of motivating them to become better? Malcolm X started out as a petty crook and a hoodlum but he improved himself immensely and became one of the most important political activists of recent history.

Also Spike Lee's Malcolm X film could be useful if you teach a lower set classroom where the students are more engaged by visuals. As long as you pause the film to question the students on the characters and how it relates to the autobiography, I bet it could be quite an enjoyable learning experience.
>>
>>7672042
The point of this thread is to get OP's trashy students interested in reading.
Ideally we would be having them read Walt Whitman, Melville, Poe, and Steinbeck. But In this day in age, anything that they read with complete sentences will do good for them.

I didn't bring up the point because it was a superior alternative, it was simply an alternative.
>>
>>7672060
Nah that kid wasn't black, he was white. I only mentioned it because the post I originally quoted was mentioning illiterate kids. I grew up in a piss-poor small seaside town in the north of England so we didn't really see black people there, but our school was flooded with kids who came in illiterate and left school illiterate. It's depressing that at 16 years old and they still can't read.
>>
>>7672020
Why is it funny? I would be ashamed if I were you. These nigs make you look bad.
>>
File: 1454603349776.jpg (261 KB, 1482x1600) Image search: [Google]
1454603349776.jpg
261 KB, 1482x1600
>>7672078
> tfw I know people who left school thinking "are" and "our" were the same word and were interchangeable
>>
>>7668962
>mfw i teach at a 90% white high school
>mfw my few latino students hold the best grades out of all the rest
>mfw majority of student population are hicks, rednecks, and junkies with awful passing grades and absolutely no drive for academic success
>mfw majority group of students tend to be lower performers than minority no matter the ethnicity/race
>>
>>7672107
this is what all the dumbfuck open border democrats don't get...peurto ricans are shit, but most central and south americans are decent students and hard working...the democrats think people from ecuador or panama are just going to be new puerto ricans? no, peurto ricans made the mistake of adopting black culture...dominicans are the only others dumb enough to fall into that trap...most of them are conservative and gonna vote republican, can't wait to see the idiotic nytimes columnists in ten years shocked that there is a huge block of hispanic conservatives. it's like abortion is fucking illegal in a bunch of countries in latin america, you think they gonna be voting hillary?
>>
>>7672107
This post makes a good point. I'm surprised how many people in this thread have said "you can't teach blacks nuthin'!"

I mainly remember my school being dominantly white and that many of the white kids in lower sets would be impossible to teach because they were dunces, rednecks, try-hard "cool kids" or people who were clearly just mentally challenged.

So I guess you could also say you can't teach whitey, huh.
>>
>>7672120
It depends on what kind of people you take. Middle class Latin Americans can be aite. But they can be leftards also.
Poor people can be willing to work hard, or be lazy shits. It's hit n miss.
>>
>>7672085
Alright, I'll expand on what it's like.

I could(And did before I backspaced the lot of it) go into the details of how and why so many of us turn into fucked up failures but it's not what you asked.

So why is it funny? I've not been black for a couple months, I've been black my whole life. I've been through the hope, the disappointment, the anger and the shame so now all I can really do is laugh. I've learnt the hard way that caring for others doesn't make you happy.

tl;dr Being black makes you an edgelord.
>>
>>7672085
Every race has an innumerable amount of shitty people
>>
>>7672128
the people who can actually read tend to learn it from reading the bible...sadly the catholics are told to just sit there and be told what to think and that being poor is "good", but other bible readers realize being impoverished is nothing to be proud of
>>
>>7672132
no way man, middle class hispanics hate the left, they're always like "populist politicians pandering to lazy poors ruined our home country so we came to the last place hardwork still pays off, we not gonna let obama ruin it!"
>>
>>7672141
no, not the white race

take the redpill, sheeple
>>
>>7672159
Have you ever been to the American south?
>>
>>7672136
Not that guy but ex-sociology student here: were you going to talk about how black males fail to succeed because of lack of cultural capital/means for studying; generally lack of support (whether in education or at home); self-fulfilling prophecy (i.e. if somebody says you're a fuck up, you eventually believe it and become one); etc?

Just curious, really. I've not really touched upon these concepts since college when I had to write essays about it but it would be honestly very interesting to hear what you have to say.
>>
File: 1437258669448.jpg (28 KB, 434x359) Image search: [Google]
1437258669448.jpg
28 KB, 434x359
>>7668818
>don't really listen to the words.
>>
File: 1423720742672.jpg (304 KB, 900x745) Image search: [Google]
1423720742672.jpg
304 KB, 900x745
Dyslexia anon here.

I know its a real fucking stupid example to give but you could always have your class play a text based adventure game! Like on the snes or ps1.

Just bare with me.
Night of the sickle weasel was translated as a snes rom. It involves reading, problem solving etc, and it keeps the player interested.

Thats kinda how I really learned to read anyway, via rpgs growing up, my teachers just labeled me as a lost cause like most of the boys and focused on the girls in class.
But I did very well in English classes, one year I was the only male in class to pass, and with a B.

Sorry if it sounds stupid, just trying to think how I can help a teacher.
>>
>>7672141
Some more than others friend. Some have almost no "good' people.
>>
>>7672183
Not a bad example, anon. Text-based adventures would be a good form of edutainment. Zork or Planetfall come to mind.

It's just I don't know if many kids would have the patience for games like that which solely rely on their ability for problem solving. I'd definitely have my own kids trying those sort of games though.
>>
>>7672165
I studied in Colombia.

70% of the kids I met are destined fuck ups, vs the 50% In America. However their top 30% is better than out top 50%.

If you seriously think that South American students are more intelligent, you are retarded. They have less of an incentive to slack because education is expensive.
>>
>>7672166
Not the black guy but you know that modern day sociology is made up bullshit. None of it is empirical.

Sociologists basically bait minorities by asking them "were you going to talk about how black males fail to succeed because of lack of cultural capital/means for studying; generally lack of support (whether in education or at home); self-fulfilling prophecy (i.e. if somebody says you're a fuck up, you eventually believe it and become one); etc?" and they say "yea das rite"

live in a city like Chicago for a few years and you won't believe in that sort of bullshit anymore.
>>
>>7672201
this dude knows what's up...
>>
>>7672166
I'll green text it.

>Absentee father
>Look for black role models
Funnily enough the only real black role model I found in media was Piccolo from DBZ.
>Eventually meet a 19 year old black guy at the age of 8/9
>I come to idolise him. Legit if he told me to steal some shit I'd have done it without hesitation.
>As a teen, burning sense of inadequacy when not fitting with black stereotypes.

Thankfully I had good teachers who "uplifted" me like this anon mentions>>7669057

But really, if I were to say why we fail so spectacularly? It's because we have little in the way of role models that aren't already in crime and crime doesn't require good grades. Its cliche'd yes, but honestly it was only 2 things that stopped me becoming a nigger;

>That 19 year old I mentioned was fully focused in sports.
It's not the sports that made me idolise him, he was a cool mofucker.
>My mum is half white and my white grandparents gave her money to send me to a private school with lots of white people instead of the local ghetto ass school we lived near.

tl;dr My guess is its a vicious cycle of poverty, abandoned children and struggling mothers.
>>
>>7672199
Sorry, I wasn't very specific I suppose. I mean the southern United States–not South America. I've no firsthand knowledge of that area
>>
>>7672165
>>7672199
I think he's talking about the south of the United States, not South America
>>
>>7672210
Oh and thanks for letting me talk about myself. I feel so special.
>>
>>7672155
If they come from a Latin American country Obama prolly seems to them as a centre right guy. And they are immigrants, they don't care if America is ruined, they can just go somewhere else. Like they did
>>
>>7672220
Where the fuck would they go? America is the only first world country left in the world where sloth and failure aren't outright encouraged. Although if we elect a Democrat AGAIN in 2016, we're gonna go all the way there.
>>
>>7672210
i seriously considered having a kid with a black chick who i was in love with, she wasn't African American, but came from a majority black country famous for absentee fathers (and widespread vice) and i thought well i'm not going to be an absentee father like all those deadbeat dudes from her country...but then i thought it over more thoroughly and i started to think what if the women drive those men away by cheating on them or slutting it up or just being totally fucked? like regardless of race most men really don't want to abandon their son...so i was like i think it takes two to make a single parent home, there is something wrong with the relationship dynamics in that culture...and i cooled off. cried a lot but im not risking my kids having separated parents
>>
Give the students a varied list of books and let them choose. Thats how one of my English teachers did it. That's how I realized not all books are horrible. Then put them in a group with people who have the same book. It's almost guaranteed to work
>>
>>7672236
We were also all latino and blacks, so it might work for you too
>>
>>7672201
The best way to become racist is to actually spend time with blacks and hispanics
>>
>>7668818
Don't bother
I hated reading assignments in high school
Something about being told to read a book or a passage just makes me not do it
Just get them to pass and try to teach them proper grammar
>>
>>7671670
kek, i've never seen someone try to justify their lack of a jesuit education so hard. try pretending you're a girl if you're really this butthurt about not learning greek in elementary, people will understand
>>
>>7672201
You know not all sociology is interview-based, anon. A sociologist worth their salt would debate the validity of simply asking a basic question hoping for a yes or no answer.

Quantitive evidence is often seen as restricted whereas qualitative evidence is seen as more valid and reliable - a dog-shit city like Chicago can have "that sort of bullshit" applied in a sociological study if you don't go around like a numpty with a clipboard asking questions about crime statistics - not all sociology is like that, anon. Plenty of sociologists completely immerse themselves in the area they try to study and will even live among the people they try studying (i.e. some will study junkies or criminals by infiltrating their gang/group and taking undercover notes).

>>7672210
Unfortunately, you're probably right. "Vicious cycle of poverty" and a lack of good role models: I've heard about it plenty of times in textbooks when reading/studying for essays and one of my closest friends, a black man, has said how he felt similar growing up because his father was absent too.

It's good to know you had someone to look up to though, this 19 year old fella seemed to have a productive influence. I was in a similar boat myself: as a kid, I didn't really know my dad (didn't get to know him until years down the line) and my step-dad was abusive as hell, so I didn't really see many role models outside of my own mother and maybe some of the babysitters we had. We were piss-poor too and I remember my early days in secondary school where I'd piss about and try disrupting classes. There must've been a turning point: maybe it was having to resit my GCSEs and partly also not wanting to live in poverty all my life.

I guess I digress, man. I guess I just really appreciate hearing when somebody escapes from a vicious cycle like that because I can sympathise with it.
>>7672216
No worries, anon. It's good to talk about these things sometimes.
>>
>>7672231
hillary will fucking destroy this country, sanders coddles failures, but at least i can trust he wont start anymore budget ruining wars, meanwhile hillary voted for iraq and then personally did libya on her own, if she's president we gonna be bombing any brown ppl the zionists don't like, ppl should just elect trump, we need someone who isn't cowed by wall street, big oil or war profiteers...the only people trump might do a favor is the construction unions, and fuck it those dudes work hard, i wouldn't be mad
>>
>>7672247
Jesuit education is truly goat-tier. Diocesan education is basically lmao-tier however.
>>
>>7672231
lol
>>
I'm not black but I am half Japanese and half Native American. My father was raised in Compton, ghost town, Santa Monica, etc., and is an illiterate drug dealer.

Him staying with my mom is probably one of the bigger changes from what you might see as a huge influence on an inner city kid. Besides that though I grew and was practically bound to become a drug dealer in LA.

What got me out of it was an AP Euro teacher who was passionate AS FUCK about the Renaissance which was the first thing we studied. He was funny, excited, talkative, and would both go on monologues while asking us questions.

I literally remember thinking "I want to be like them" and I just, I don't know, started enjoying reading for the first time. Dry, dry, dry as fuck history textbooks. I loved them.

The only other thing I can think of was that I grew up Atheist around a Christian community which forced me to become argumentative, and I learned how to become good at it. That happened in 7th grade but didn't connect until 10th grade when I took that AP course, if that was even a connection.

I know that sounded like a blog but it is a very dear hope that more teachers can do what my teacher did for me.

Show wicked passion, be cool, be interested in your students. Don't say the awkward "...no, but good try" when someone gives a wrong answer. The shame is unrreal for an idiot who no longer wants to be an idiot. Be excited to explain the answer "No It was the silk road remember! With the Chinese outsourcing and keeping hidden their craft...." then maybe try and bring it back to the kid so they can follow up and not be left alone in their shame. Or maybe not, you'll have to read the kid. They might just feel overwhelmed at that point and not want the spotlight anymore.

Oh, if you get 1 on 1 time, be sure to use disappointment, "You can do better come on! I know you can. The last test you...". That would light a fire under my ass in an instant, and I was competing for the top spot of the class for fuck sake.

Good luck.
>>
>>7672252
>Quantitive evidence is often seen as restricted whereas qualitative evidence is seen as more valid and reliable - a dog-shit city like Chicago can have "that sort of bullshit" applied in a sociological study if you don't go around like a numpty with a clipboard asking questions about crime statistics - not all sociology is like that, anon. Plenty of sociologists completely immerse themselves in the area they try to study and will even live among the people they try studying (i.e. some will study junkies or criminals by infiltrating their gang/group and taking undercover notes).

that shit is EVEN MORE FAKE than the sociology statistical nerds...that stupid shit by vankatesh was so god damn fake anyone who didn't live in a lilly white suburb their whole life could tell it's fucking fake...not to mention some white bitch in philly who made fake stories about baby daddies getting arrested at the hospital for their child's birth...some "peer" reviewed her shit and looked through arrest records in philly and never found that happened ever, it was complete fake shit, but she told people what they expected and wanted to hear so she almost got away with it, and would be teaching at some top school like that vanketesh queer, who got fired finally for embezzling funds i think...fraudulent fuck
>>
>>7668878
that's very racist
>>
>>7672247
the only languages i see ppl from catholic school speaking are tagalog, spanish and very shitty english...ancient greek? dream on, nerd
>>
>>7672277
diocesan schools and jesuit schools are very different things. diocesan schools are for shit-tier non-white catholics and government-subsidized non catholic blacks in some cases.

Jesuit schools, as well as some schools run by other religious orders (NOT the diocese) cost almost as much as most prep schools and are very rigorous.
>>
>>7672266
Not OP, but I'm glad to hear this story. I want to be a teacher too and this is the kind of teacher I'd love to be.
>>
>>7668818
You can't save them mate
This is something teachers need to learn
You can't save them

Invest your time in the two that legitimately care about reading
Be involved in their lives they can be saved or put on a good path

The rest are just always going to be shit if they already have that mindset at highschool
>>
File: 51niXARoTdL.jpg (61 KB, 434x500) Image search: [Google]
51niXARoTdL.jpg
61 KB, 434x500
>>7668818
University professor here
Buy pic related and apply it
Get them to compete against each other
>>
>>7672107
I'm glad your one school goes against the norm
>>
>>7672296
>>7671990
This two posts.

If OP is gone from this thread, but there's any teachers in here at all, do this. Young students (heck, any students) love the idea of winning shit if they do well in class.
>>
>>7672252
I am not doubting the worth of all sociologists. No doubt there are still many good sociologists around. However I think the field has suffered and accepted mediocrity as it's standard in today's world. I have read a sociology textbook that my gf was using in her class and it was a lot of garbage peppered with actual facts and a plea to emotion rubbed in to all arguments.
>>
>>7672301
I can't wait for OP to try that shit and then fail losing more optimism in the world

This is what I love to watch from teachers (especially the high school variant)
Just the complete and utter destruction of their happiness

Pavlov tricks aint gonna fix someone who has been broken for 14 years
>>
>>7672311
What should we do with niggers then? Doesn't someone have to try at least?
>>
>>7672315
Split up the ghettos.
>>
>>7672309
I guess there's some truth in that too, really. Honestly, I'd have to freshen up on sociology, but there's definitely some sociologists I didn't agree with.

If there's one important thing I learnt in sociology classes it's that there's a counter-argument to everything and that one should probably question everything too - I remember having to write criticisms of well established sociologists and their research by focusing on another study that contradicted their results. I guess the sociologists that are full of shit would probably be the easiest to think of counter-arguments for really.

Also apologies if I'm digressing, it's nearly midnight here. I should head to bed soon. Goodnight, anon.
>>
>>7672315
Euthanasia and repatriation back to their "homelands".
Slavery was a bad idea but for other reasons which the founders failed to foresee.
>>
>>7672309
It's because sociology, like psychology, is not a science currently
Both fields have trouble in the most basic things that are required of a science (such as reproducibility of a study) and most papers are written with the results already in mind
It's funny to see and it's even funnier when the 30 year old "experts" on a field get taken seriously by the general population
>>
>>7672322
nah, they knocked down the project by where i used to live and they all just signed up for section 8 and spread out infecting the surrounding neighborhoods. before u'd only have to be worry about getting shot in like the street directly next to those buildings, now that whole side of town is a shooting gallery
>>
>>7668818
Give them some fun books damnit The Discworld novels got me into reading, otherwise I don't see anything wrong with kids reading later in life if they are still interested in comics, movies, games etc . all those things are based on narratives - they will end up reading eventually.
>>
>>7672315
Hope there's a resurgence of Bookerites.
>>
>>7672315
Fix the family unit
That right there saves a good chunk of them

Whites are on the same path as blacks desu
The family unit has been getting destroyed by post modern feminism and queer theory for a while now
Why do you think american whites have the only increasing death rate in the developed world?
>>
>>7672078

I also live in a seaside town in the North of England, East or West?
>>
>>7672347
feminists and queers destroy the family because they know deep down inside nobody normal wants them to have kids so they need to have kids by giving sperm to robots or fucking dogs and getting butt-pregnant.
>>
>>7672347
>implying capitalism is not the greatest bane of family
lmao
>>
>>7672348
East, specifically North Yorkshire. Know of Scarborough?
>>
>>7672329
I don't mind the existence of "soft sciences" what is annoying is that they had an established base because they used to be decently respected fields but now they are full of shills and people who push their own agendas. They consistently use logical fallacies in their arguments. The most common is trying to justify their propositions with emotional pleas. These people are so delusional it's like talking to conspiracy theorists. They continue to talk about "socio-economic" blah blah to justify poor blacks committing insanely disproportionate amount of crime. All you have to do is actually live in these shitholes for a while or just study basic history to understand that this behaviour stretches across nations and cultures and centuries. Its not some fucking politician who made these people act like this and you can't fix it by shedding some tears and throwing money at them..
>>
>>7672327
This post is severely underrated to be honest family.
>>
>>7672358
There's an argument to be had there yes
Socialism and Marxism and other such isms do not fix the family unit though
>>
>>7672363

Ah yeah, I'm further up, heard of Sunderland? My grandparents go to Scarborough like 5 times a year, apparently it's a haven for OAPs.
>>
>>7672358
>Blames capitalism
>Dindu shitholes have been run by Democratic politicians for decades
>>
>>7672358
Family units have survived under capitalism for centuries. The only modern big change that seems to have contributed to the destruction of the family is the weakening of religion, the movement of the state to become the family (welfare), and the praise of non-standard behaviours as normal or even preferred (gay, trans, whatever the fuck).
>>
>>7672315
Give them a choice.

Have the U.S. government purchase a remote island. Create an atmosphere of complete debauchery. Guns, alcohol, drugs from busts, etc. They can do whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as they follow two simple rules:

A.) Don't attempt to leave the island, and
B.) Agree to be sterilized.

The black scourge is eliminated in three to five generations at most. You're welcome America.
>>
>>7672381
this
>>7672356
also this
>>7672327
also try this similarly to what Sweden is doing with their invaders
>>
>>7672377
Yeah, I guess it is really. If they stick by the tourists spots it's very quaint, and I guess the Spa (a venue in Scarborough rather than an actual spa) probably has quite a few events on that might be appealing to elderly people.

Don't think I've been to Sunderland but definitely heard of it.
>>
>>7672387
Wish I'd have through of this sooner. Can we please move them all into Jersey and have them fight to the death or something? Trump can build a wall to make sure the violence doesn't get exported elsewhere.
>>
Since 2014 I've been going to school to become a highschool teacher. This thread has made me seriously reconsider my career path
>>
>>7672356
> getting butt-pregnant

Fuck you my juice came out my nose
>>
>>7672358
capitalism gives everyone the freedom to make choices, including bad choices. if u let the zionists trick u into turning ur back on jesus, and by extension ur family, that's ur fault. the family was doing fine with american capitalism, right up until weak willed hill billy woodrow wilson let the zionists take over, it's strange too that the jewish coup in russia occurred during the same time....strange, too bad it's probably illegal to study this rise of judaism cuz it's legit interesting to be h
>>
>>7672403
Go into academia to be honest family.
>>
>>7672403
just get ur masters and become an adjunct, mostly the same shitty students, but it's not a 9 to 5 grind
>>
>>7672403
It highly depends where you live.
>>
>>7672403
Become alt-right and work to make America great again!
>>
>>7672398
I've been saying this for a while to my girlfriend who was black sympathetic when we started college and protested my racism. Now after three and a half years of going to a predominately black school (it wasn't close to this bad when we started) she mostly supports Sterilzation Island. I'll write Trump tonight.
>>
>>7672387
Wasn't this already attempted with Liberia?
>>
>>7672381
Go fuck your sister, billy bob
Capitalism destroyed what family used to be.
Take for example neetism, if you stay with your family and do not contribute to the market you are scum, if you work but live with your family you are some kind of loser. Capitalism forced women to work, kids are raised by their tvs and by the internet now.
People have to travel across the globe to find work, students leave at 18 and meet their families for Christmas and that's it.
>>
>>7672429
it's called freedom u fascist catholic
>>
>>7672369
What happened was that people realized how easily you could manipulate people by claiming you're an expert and are a scientist and do studies and things
You could then use this to sell books and get money for more studies

I think Feynman puts it best desu
https://youtu.be/IaO69CF5mbY

Generally as a rule I'm cautious of someone who says they're an expert of something with less than 20 years experience in said field
>>
>>7672422
Have plenty of children and raise them well. Posts like yours and people like you give me hope to be honest family. <3 Let's make america great again together!
>>
>>7672437
Do you realize that freedom and traditional values are opposed?
>>
>>7672429
What the fuck are you actually talking about? Do you realize that most of the things you complain about are modern phenomenon. Go learn some basic history. As I said before the family unit existed strongly for centuries with capitalism and now all of a sudden it is failing and you blame capitalism, not the other recent things that were not around when families were strong? Idiot.
>>
>>7672458
this is why you have church and state separate...so people can choose their values...the degenerates sink into vice and poverty, the people who stay blessed rise, deal with it, nerd, if u need an arranged marriage to get laid move to the islamic state or some hindu shithole
>>
>>7672464
They actually arent new development
The European clan dissolved into the extended family which dissolved into the nuclear family which is not dissolving to single and broken parent households
Consider a child who has two parents who don't live together
Think of how much more those two parents have to spend together on their child compared to if they were married

The dollar wins the family loses
>>
>>7672464
What a coincidence, when global capitalism is achieved, family starts to degenerate, feminism and gender studies spawn and everything else.
Family matters fuck all to capitalism, as long as you can keep money circulating you are a ok for capitalism.
>>
File: great-again.jpg (20 KB, 620x386) Image search: [Google]
great-again.jpg
20 KB, 620x386
>>7672457
>>
>>7672478
so you're blaming prosperity for breaking the family? that is a truly sick way of thinking.
>>
>>7672482
the jews use those ideological tricks to weaken the host family, just like they've always done, using slave morality spooks since the days of pharaoh
>>
>>7672482
I agree globalism is bad for families (and just in general). Capitalism is not always global. It worked for a long time at the state level.
>>
>>7672494
Oy vey! Shut this post down
t. Shlomo "shekelini" Judenstein
>>
File: oh sh-.png (351 KB, 433x417) Image search: [Google]
oh sh-.png
351 KB, 433x417
>>7672406
what in the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>7672478
Bring back the clan ;)
>>
>>7672507
>Woodrow Wilson becomes president
>Brandeis convinces him to start the federal reserve to undermine dominant protestant american bank JP Morgan
>Brandeis convinced Woodrow Wilson to enter WW1 on the side of the UK in exchange for the promise of Palestinian land for a future Jewish state

meanwhile in Russia...

>Russia heading towards a democratic socialism
>Lenin and Trotsky instigate a Bolshevik takeover of the provisional government based on the ideology of Karl Marx

that's what I'm talking about, learn some history u illiterate dropout
>>
File: TrumpO.png (60 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
TrumpO.png
60 KB, 300x168
>>7672483
>>
>>7672526
>commies genocide jews
>lmao jews created communism to destroy amuriga, the country where they profit the most
>>
>>7672526
>types h in place of history and u in place of you

I bet you're one of those "sassy" tumblr girls arentcha
>>
>>7672536
you're fucking stupid, i just showed in that same post how they made it so they could "profit the most" in america...and the jews only got "genocided" after stalin outsmarted them and took over, and then trostky had to go on the run writing whiney essays about how stalin "stole our revolution"
>>
This thread seems to be productive in enlightening lit instead of helping the hopeless.
>>
>>7668818
sauce of that gif?
>>
>>7672616
Reddit
>>
>>7668878
I'm in professional school and I have four friends. Two white girls, a hispanic guy, and a black guy. The black guy is the only one who is actually well read, while the girls are just SUPER stoked that Gilmore Girls is coming back and the hispanic guy just reads fantasy novels.
>>
>>7672159
I live in NH. I assure you, the shitty ratio is a solid 1:4, and those are the "neglect your kids and shoot heroin" tier of shittyness.
>>
>>7672107
My mother teaches inner city. Haitian students come to work in perfect business casual, are quiet and respectful, and are beaten nearly to death if they fuck up.

Of course, they are in the 99th percentile of Haitians in that they escaped their country, so take that as it is.
>>
>>7672838
>and are beaten nearly to death if they fuck up
Pretty sure that has a lot to do with their abnormally proper performances. Good conditioning can help sometimes.
>>
>>7668818
a common sentiment among high school students is "when am i ever going to need this in 'real life'?" And, honestly, for most students, reading Shakespeare will not directly help them in real life. but what will? maybe we should assume there will be more students doing blue-collar work in the future instead of high-brow academic work. so, they will be reading memos, workplace policies, technical documents, contracts, etc. have then read those sorts of things (from diverse sources) and answer questions testing their comprehension.

have them write things that seem more "applicable" too: they can write advertisements (maybe for a fictional product of your design?) news articles (maybe for a local or school-wide event, not world news) or technical documents/instructions of their own. if you could dredge up some Ikea instructions (which are all visual) an interesting assignment would be to make a completely text version of those instructions. taking this to the next level would be picking up those completed assignments, re-distributing them, and actually asking groups to try to follow the instructions they have been given (if you can get ahold of some assemblable furniture).

in fact, it seems like a good idea across the board to expose students to BAD writing, in this case the bad writing of their peers (anonymously, of course). it might "click" for a lot of students to try to dissect WHY a sentence is confusing or poorly worded.
>>
File: 1454387698848.png (85 KB, 492x280) Image search: [Google]
1454387698848.png
85 KB, 492x280
>>7672810
Me too!!! My friends are a disabled person, an inner city black youth, a smart Asian, and all of the other faggots from that Burger King commercial.
>>
File: 1434573175328s.jpg (3 KB, 96x125) Image search: [Google]
1434573175328s.jpg
3 KB, 96x125
>>7672932
>>
i always imagined that as a teacher (hypothetically, im not planning to teach) i would just ignore the students who dont care and put all of my attention onto the students who do

seems like the best approach senpai
>>
>>7672020
so do you agree, given that you have intimate experience with other blacks? most seem to be unterspecies levels of dumb desu
>>
File: 1d8.png (183 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1d8.png
183 KB, 480x480
>>7672932
top meme, would read again
>>
>>7668818
>paying attention to lyrics

I haven't done that since high school, and I only cared about lyrics back then because I was an emo shithead. Now I only listen to shoegaze with the vocals low in the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCvagpF8ii4
>>
Just be cool. That might be hard. Make yourself likable. If they like you, and associate you with reading, they'll like reading.
Be funny, don't be an authoritarian dick, don't be boring.
>>
>>7672990
being an authoritarian dick is good, those are the only teachers i ever respected. i hate pussy ass teachers

authoritarian mien/discipline + good intention + intelligence = good teacher
>>
>>7673009
I honestly have to be afraid of disappointing most teachers if I am to take their course and materials seriously. If they are fucking beta then I know I can get away with shit.
>>
>>7673035
i am the master of stealth-rustling the jimmies of beta teachers in really subtle ways
>>
>>7673105
teach me your ways to be honest family.
>>
>>7668818
1. Get graphic novel adaptations.
2. Provide them with audiobook version.
3. HIghlight key areas of the book with visual media. If you're reading the Raven by Edgar Allen Poe, play the Simpsons segment.
4. Allow them to pick from a pool of novels, although this takes considerable preparation on your part.
5. YOur project: 1. Read the book. 2. Create a test for the book (50 multiple choice questions) which is half your mark for the unit. 3. I give you the same test for the other half of your mark.
>>
>>7673135
i operate purely by instinct famalam so it can't exactly be taught

one good technique is to ask questions that might be considered academically faux pas or taboo but to do it in a way that seems simple and well intentioned. never let a teacher know just how smart you really are. always make yourself "simpler". you can get away with anything.
>>
>>7672810
>I'm in professional school
and yet you know nothing about simple statistics
>>
>>7673156
if your teacher involuntary winces you're doing something right
>>
File: randompicture2.jpg (103 KB, 1200x639) Image search: [Google]
randompicture2.jpg
103 KB, 1200x639
>>7668818

Teaching English to people who aren't comfortable with words is like teaching geometry to somebody who doesn't know division.

Sidestep the words for a second. OP, you're looking to get them to analyze something. Words are a filter- toying with that filter is immensely fun- but they are not direct.

We begin, OP, with images. One image.

Pic related.
>>
>>7673214
Ask them what they think about the picture. There's a car, a wasteland, and Max. Look at the lines of movement; the way the eye is drawn to the car and the ridge and the shadow, all of which point to the driver.

now look at the light. man's practically got a spotlight on him!

Look at how he stands. His head is down, his legs are square. He's not looking out over the expanse before him. He's looking down.

What does it mean when somebody looks down? (ask a kid who's looking down at this point?)

He's facing away. what does that mean?

sadness?
boredom?
etc.

what do all these things have in common?

"all bad"

Disconnection. Lack of eye contact.

So we have a disconnected man in a beat-up car with a mess coming out of it who isn't looking into the future.

if you've seen the movie, that's about right.

All this comes out of a single picture

Learning symbols and learning to read and apply them is a huge part of english.

(sorry for shitty quality)
>>
>>7673243
>Learning symbols and learning to read and apply them is a huge part of english.

Yeah, where I come from, that's the elementary/middle school curriculum shit.

Once you hit highschool, you should have visual symbology down, and now they want to work on written symbology.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.