[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/, my loves. I was thinking we might talk about mythology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 18765.jpg (42 KB, 307x475) Image search: [Google]
18765.jpg
42 KB, 307x475
Hello /lit/, my loves.

I was thinking we might talk about mythology literature. For example, I credit Edith Hamilton's Mythology (which I bought for a quarter at a yard sale as a child) with making me love literature.

Tonight I'm reading "I, Claudius" by Robert Graves, though I'm much more interested in his White Goddess.

What about you, anon? Any love for mythology and folklore?
>>
Oh come now, /lit/, are we really going to abandon a fresh topic in exchange for five Bukowski threads?
>>
Please?
>>
White Goddess is fucking weird

If you want a good intro to it, get his Greek Myths and read the weirder femdom parts of his exegesis. Speaking as a femdomfag, reading WG is immediately like "oh hello Graves, I see you also like femdom." Something weeeeird was going on there.

Check out Bachofen as well if you're interested in that sort of thing
>>
>>7668872

I am a similar flag, anon.

Thanks for the recommendation of Bachofen.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 512x457) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 512x457
>>7668752
I want to read Claudius the God, next...

I've gone through Philip Mackie's The Caesars, which is up on YouTube... Haven't seen the BBC rendering, but I hear good things.

I annotated my copy of I, Claudius in order to sort align each chapter with the two series. I guess us Graves fans are a little particular in our fiction...
>>
I, Claudius is rather flawed. Livia is cookie-cutter one-dimensional and is not at all an accurate representation of her, if Roman historical or biographical accounts are anything to go by. It's as if Graves needed an antagonist and just ran with it.

I would recommend Augustus by John Williams. A much better work of historical fiction
>>
>>7668752
I, Claudius is one of my favourite books, I've kinda fallen in love with the poor, stuttering guy.

I'm really fascinated by god-emperor cults throughout the history, Romans as well as for example Napoleon.
>>
Any good books of Greek/Roman myths? Just to pick up once in a while and read one or two.
>>
>>7669966
A book you might like would be Death of Napolean if you're at all interested in him. Its a strange spin for sure, but it's quite good.

>>7670594
Funny enough, I would recommend Death of Virgil if you like The Aeneid. Quite obviously, if you haven't tackled all the standard stuff, you could read the standard Metamorphoses (Ovid), the plays of Sophocles, Euripedes, or Aeschylus, or Homer's work.
>>
>>7668752
I've been reading some of the Islandic Saga over the last year. Also read The Long Ships which covers some of the same ground.
Such cool stories, the Vikings were a surprisingly complex people with intricate laws and customs.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.