[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should I start with Borges? Labyrinths or Fictions?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: bor6.jpg (461 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bor6.jpg
461 KB, 2048x1536
Where should I start with Borges? Labyrinths or Fictions?
>>
Either, but Fictions would avoid the overlap with other collections if you plan to get them afterwards.
>>
Who is this pimp with a limp?
>>
File: kodama5.jpg (171 KB, 524x601) Image search: [Google]
kodama5.jpg
171 KB, 524x601
>>7668418
even as a 86 year old he could still pull in the girls. He got married to this half Japanese chick at that age
>>
Who is this hose disgorger?
>>
>>7668430
>marrying a rich dying 86 year old man
Oh, yeah, he had real game.
>>
What's the best Ficciones translation?
>>
Aleph
>>
>>7668430
Read his biography. He was a failure with women. He lived with his mom until she passed.
>>
>>7669152
Maybe because he loved his mother? I realize you probably have a shitty relationship with your parents, but not everyone does.
>>
>>7669152
I think it was more because he was an asexual or homosexual
>>
>>7668439
>rich
Kekeroni
>>
>>7669163

>he talks with his mother at the end of the day/night everyday
>his father make him lose virginity with a hooker ending in a bad experience
just feels
>>
>>7668503

The one you can reasonably get your hands on is edited by Anthony Kerrigan and translated by him and others. It's rather good. (The Platonic ideal of Borges translation is Norman Thomas di Giovanni, who worked with Borges personally on his translations, but Borges' estate commissioned Andrew Hurley and sequestered do Giovanni's work. Some of di Giovanni's work can be found online, in particular a share link that pops up around here occasionally, so one might be able to put together a di Giovanni translation of Ficciones from that, but really the Kerrigan edition is fine.)
>>
I started with Aleph. Pretty good too.
>>
>>7669163
No, he was not attractive, a mamma's boy, not athletic, and had poor social skills. He had mad crushes on many women, almost all of who didn't like him back. His pussy game was weak.
>>
Just ordered the collected non-fictions. Did I do good, /lit/?
>>
>>7669267
>but Borges' estate commissioned Andrew Hurley and sequestered di Giovanni's work

Why?
>>
>>7668430
I think I read somewhere that Borges supposedly died a virgin.
>>
>>7669635

Because Borges' widow had a long-running dispute with di Giovanni, so she let his translations go out of print in favor of new ones.
>>
>>7669635
>>7670038
... and di Giovanni had a 50% profits agreement, which is unheard of and would have deprived the widow of Her money.
>>
>>7669624
You did great, son.

You better read them all, but only after only finish all your vegetables.
>>
>>7668513
This is the correct answer
>>
File: borges translations funes.png (277 KB, 1788x894) Image search: [Google]
borges translations funes.png
277 KB, 1788x894
>>7668503
>>
>>7670050

It was an unusual arrangement, but it was Borges' prerogative to do so and he surely felt it reasonable given do Giovanni's services to him. Kodama, on the other hand, married Borges shortly before he died and became executor of his estate, so she was abundantly looked after already, given the things that could be said about the nature of her role.
>>
>>7670361
Judging from this I'm not sorry I've read hoon in Hurley's translation.
>>
>>7670819
*him
>>
A lot of people rail on Hurley's translations, but honestly they're not noticeably worse than the others. It's more worth it just to buy Hurley's volume of all the translated fiction.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.