[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
China Miéville
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: China-Mieville--009[1].jpg (369 KB, 2060x1236) Image search: [Google]
China-Mieville--009[1].jpg
369 KB, 2060x1236
What's his best book?
What's his worst book?
And which one did you enjoy the most?
>>
Kraken doesn't have his best writing but it's the only one with an even halfway decent ending. Perdido street station read like he wrote it when he was 14. Never went near Bas Lag after that.
>>
>>7664016
The Scar is fucking fantastic and in my opinion superior to PDSS. During Perdido he was trying too hard, I think. The Scar features the same level of crazy originality and inventiveness without being as upfront about it. It's a bit more fantasy, a bit more common adventure, but it has the best fucking city in all of genre fiction in it. And the best sword after Dragnipur.

Highly recommended.
>>
>>7664038
The city in Perdido reminded me of a kid's drawing of a pirate island: it has to have ALL THE THINGS, all neatly spaced out. Here's the buried treasure, here's the little cove, here's the sea monster etc etc only with him it was Here's the bug people district, and here's the frog people district, and here's the district that's inside a huge skeleton, and the politicians commune with demons from hell because we satire now, but there are also pan-dimensional spider monsters that made the universe or something but they can't even kill a hypnotic supermoth in a straight fight.

It's like dota, the book.
>>
Is he actually good? I've never read anything he's written.
>>
>>7663875
he looks like an uncircumcised penis
>>
>>7664038

This. I have read most of his stuff - The Scar is by far my favourite but you should really read PDSS first, although it's not absolutely necessary it's not a prequel or anything.
>>
>>7666128
>you should really read PDSS first, although it's not absolutely necessary it's not a prequel or anything.
Why should I "really read it first" if it's not a prequel and it's a worse book? Genuinely interested, I'm considering to start reading this guy.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.