[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Must read to understand Nietzsche
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 193x262) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 193x262
Hey /lit/ What do you think that are the must read works of Nietzsche?
>>
You should read the greeks at least
including some of their plays and myths
>>
start with Gay Science that shit hooks you in
>>
Thanks Guys !
>>
you'd need to go through google groups to locate this. talk.bizarre, February 2006, the Thus Spake Zarathustra Bizarre Obligatory Blowout. last time i looked it had been purged.
>>
>>7658457
Idiot.

>>7658452
I'd say Beyond Good and Evil and On the Genealogy of Morals.
>>
da gre33ks
>>
The Holy Bible by Jesus Christ
>>
>>7659213
>Idiot
Not that guy, but reading the literary Greeks would be helpful with Nietzsche, also Aristotle. Heidegger agrees with me so you can't bully me.
>>
File: Best_Superman.jpg (79 KB, 385x500) Image search: [Google]
Best_Superman.jpg
79 KB, 385x500
>>7658452
You must read your own heart, for NEET-Chan is not for everyone.
>>
http://www.anthonymludovici.com/mw_int.htm

Who is to be Master of the World?
An Introduction to the Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche
>>
Serious answer.

Presocratics
Old Testament
Plato's Phaedo and Republic
Aristotle's Ethics (if not complete works)
New Testament
Descartes' Meditations
Hume's Enquiry

I know that Schopenhauer was an influences on him but I know nothing of the mans work. Nietzsche was a philologist and so studied the Vedic writings, Buddhism and he was at least aware of Zoroastrianism although I don't know what texts he engaged with for that. Basically one should develop an understanding of the world before Christianity came on the scene, in the western tradition the only thing close to its devaluing of the real material world we live in was to be found in Plato. For instance one has to understand that even though Judaism has a transcendental god the religion itself is to a large extent quiet about an afterlife and all rewards are to be attained in this world making it thoroughly this-worldly.

One could say that Hegel strongly influences him too but discretely. I'm not sure how much this should be emphasised however since he almost never mentions the man.
>>
I neglected to list Kant but should anyone seriously read Kant?
>>
Laotze
Rousseau
Schopenhauer
Kierkegaard
Hegel
Lessing
Kant
John Stewart Mill
Lucretius
Leibniz
Heraclitus
Proclus
Plotinus
Pythagoras
Epictetus
Sartre the flies
Borne
Heine
Parmenides
Empedocles
Democritus
Thales
Horace
Montaigne
Voltaire
Hermann Hesse
Pushkin
>>
>>7661038
>should anyone seriously read Kant?

this is bait right?
>>
>>7658452
Deleuze
>>
Biographies and letters.
>>
He's one of maybe 20 people whose ENTIRE output is worth reading.
>>
>>7659492
Kek'd
>>
File: atlas1.jpg (879 KB, 2179x2249) Image search: [Google]
atlas1.jpg
879 KB, 2179x2249
>>7661389
Who else would you consider to be in that group?
>>
>>7661439
The Greeks are obvious so I won't name them. (They also have the benefit of not having their entire oeuvre preserved -- mostly just the best bits.)

I'd say Dante, Hume, Kafka, Shakespeare, Nabokov, Kierkegaard, Conrad, Quine.
>>
>>7659213

this
>>
>>7658452
you shouldn't miss out on the birth of tragedy
>>
>>7661554
>They also have the benefit of not having their entire oeuvre preserved -- mostly just the best bits.
How the hell do you know that?! Maybe we've been left with their worst stuff.
>>
>>7661050
Of course. 2boring4u
>>
>>7658452
Beyond good and evil
Genealogy of morals
>>
>>7658452
Zarathustra. I think the poetry of it encapsulates what makes Nietzsche different from other philosophers.
>>
>>7661020
>though Judaism has a transcendental god the religion itself is to a large extent quiet about an afterlife

It didn't even have a real heaven/hell until other religions created the idea

there was just a dark, quiet place beneath the earth where all bodies went to rest
>>
>>7662922
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE_5Y9IKCk0
>>
File: jim carrey.jpg (7 KB, 226x256) Image search: [Google]
jim carrey.jpg
7 KB, 226x256
>>7661554
>Nabokov
>>
>>7661050
I thought reading Kant was a meme.
>>
>>7663108
It's the hottest meme since 1781.
>>
File: hxTlDfvj6TA.jpg (41 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
hxTlDfvj6TA.jpg
41 KB, 680x478
>>7661554

>Nabokov
>>
>people making long-ass lists and not including Augustine or Aquinas and medieval philosophy in general

Fucking plebs.

Also, the prologue to Thus Spake Zarathustra is essential to understanding Nietzsche on the ubermensch and why he must come. By prologue I mean the scene when Zarathustra meets the holy hermit, and their parting.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.