[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the amount of choices in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9
Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the amount of choices in things we can consume? Literature, film, music, games, etc. How the fuck do you just tune everything out and focus?
>>
Focus on what exactly?
>>
>>7656263
Genuine question: how old are you?
>>
Yes
Write down a goal
See scooby's video on goals
>>
You pick something that you want to read/watch/hear, sit down, and give it your attention. I don't find it intimidating that there are millions of books I haven't read, I find it exciting.
>>
>>7656277
ahahahhaha what the fuck
>>
>>7656270

These dubs
>>
>>7656291
you mean these? >>7656277
>>
First off stop playing vidya and tv completely and then engage with the canon. After that do what you want.
>>
>>7656300
oh shit
>>
>>7656297

What's wrong with TV and video games?
>>
>>7656274
>>7656274
>>7656274
>>7656274
>>7656274
>>
>>7656274

32 year old NEET
>>
>>7656263
just become a normie and listen to #curated playlists etc
>>
>>7656316
Are you being serious though or?

I'm not being cynical with these questions
>>
>>7656263
That's why /lit/ exists, to help optimise your consumption of text-based content in order to obtain the appearance of sophistication.
>>
>>7656305
Nothing intrinsically but if you recognize you have a finite amount of time then it can follow there should be priorities. Play and watch flavor of the month, or read, listen, experience such and such artwork? People's free time are their prerogative but not all paths are of equal footing even if the end can be said to be towards 'happiness'.
>>
>>7656263
Find your niche and enjoy it. If I were to keep up with Sundance/Oscars/Cannes and then PEN grants, Man Booker, Pulitzer, Nobel, all the regional awards, all the video game releases and music albums, I'd have to invest in an additional brain.
>>
>>7656320

Yes

>>7656321

Seems pointless, the dick sucking here is obnoxious.
>>
>>7656321
Thank fuck for that.
>>
>>7656263
I was thinking the same the other day. You must eliminate activities/people that consume your energy.
>>
>>7656333

>Seems pointless, the dick sucking here is obnoxious.

Tbqh, the vast majority of reading recommendations I've gotten from /lit/ have been great.

The vanity associated with it is optional. I for one limit it to /lit/. I don't discuss literature IRL, and I don't draw attention to the fact that I read a lot.
>>
>>7656470
only insecure snores are put off desu, receptive people get out what they put in until they're really in on the idea of the joke. anonymity and ephemerality are marvelous casual filters
>>
File: 18.jpg (33 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
33 KB, 499x500
>>7656263
You think there's a universe of stuff out there and most of it is distracting you from the small amount that is actually important, but what you've failed to grasp is that it's all a distraction.
>>
>>7656263
I focus on books & music. Film or games seem way too exhausting to concentrate on.
>>
Yes, constantly. I have a backlog for too much shit. Books, movies, TV, music, video games, comics, anime, manga, VNs, too much shit. I also want to learn French, learn to play piano, learn more about art, and work on tech projects.

All of this plus work exhausts me sometimes. I generally try to focus on one at a time, or just separate my day into parts. Listen to music at work, play games after work, watch TV/movie during dinner, read for a few hours before bed. It can get tiring but I love to learn and consume.
>>
File: 1448469393479.png (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1448469393479.png
7 KB, 400x400
>>7656321
>appearance of sophistication
>>
>>7656637

Do you only work for 4 hours a day?
>>
>>7656496
A distraction from what?
>>
>>7656263

No, but I find it hard to tune out noises or anything that annoys me. I'm often told "I think you want to be annoyed," but it's not like I get out of bed each afternoon and say to myself "boy I sure hope I get annoyed by something today."
>>
File: TimeToDie.jpg (263 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
TimeToDie.jpg
263 KB, 1000x1000
>>7656321
>mfw /lit/ is literally this bourgeoisie
>>
Find what you love and let it kill u
>>
>>7656698
No, 8 hour job. Usually home by 4:30 because I get in early. Usually asleep by 11:30.

Most days aren't exactly like that though, I usually try to get in the reading before bed, but some days I just focus on TV or a game or something
>>
>>7656702
The nightmare of reality
>>
Yes, go with the flow, reflect on the flow, choose the higher flow, reflect on the flow, down the undercurrent, reflect on the flow, find balance, float.
>>
File: 2265771.jpg (35 KB, 450x336) Image search: [Google]
2265771.jpg
35 KB, 450x336
There is so much classical music to digest, so many foreign films to analyse, literature and philosophy worth of decades of devotion, skills to develop, so many biographies and sciences that you stumble upon while plowing through the rest of the input
Do you know this feeling when you snort a big rail of amphetamines and pick up a book, taking advantage of that first rush of curiousity, determined to maybe even read it from cover to cover - but then suddenly another book from your tbr pile catches your attention and then you remember how much fun you had when you could focus solely on acrylic painting.
You pile the books, the brushes and the paint, tidy up your place to make room for a comfortable set up, while slowly the drugs wears off. You're to agitated to go to sleep and anxiety sets in. You cannot lavish time on your interests and the contemporary lifestyle does not allow for the individual to manically pursue his interests, and if you're not a manic about your interests, you're Reddit
It's worth noting that the majority of the earths population does not bother with all that, with literally every product of culture a few clicks away, content with anything as long as one can touch it, feel it, sell it
>>
>>7656953
Gnostic detected
>>
>>7656263

sure , i feel overwhelmed. i'm almost 40 and for the last 20 years i must have spent 40 hours after working to consume as much culture i could and up to now it don't feel very satisfying.
i tend to binge on one thing for a month or to then move on: alt comics, documentaries, new music, novels, good tv shows, movies and i start over again in no particular order. always feel like i am not up to date on any of these things. eh.
>>
>>7656985
>and anxiety sets in
learn to take drugs unlike a pleb
>>
>>7657054
>good tv shows
I'm mostly ignorant on the medium. Struggle to find worthwhile shows. Mind rec'ing me some stuff?
>>
>>7656277
this OP

u need an objective
>>
>>7657086
The Sopranos
The Wire
the list goes on...
>>
>>7657086
Fargo
Twin Peaks
I, Claudius
Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad
>>
File: king-solomon.jpg (525 KB, 800x1014) Image search: [Google]
king-solomon.jpg
525 KB, 800x1014
>>7656985
>>7657054
>2016
>still trying to acquire knowledge
>not embracing Socratic ignorance and Christian faith

shaking my head to be honest family
you should have read the book of the Bible; it would have told you that knowledge tastes like death
>>
Relevant Baudrillard de-spooking: "The puritan regarded himself, his own person, as a business to be made to prosper for the greater glory of God. His 'personal' qualities, his 'character', which he spent his life producing, were for him a capital to be invested opportunely, to be managed without speculation or waste. Conversely, but in the same way, consumerist man regards enjoyment as an obligation; he sees himself as an enjoyment and satisfaction business. [...] Modern man spends less and less of his life in production within work and more and more of it in the production and continual innovation of his own needs and well-being. He must constantly see to it that all his potentialities, all his consumer capacities are mobilized. [...] Hence the revival of a universal curiosity (a concept to be explored further) in respect of cookery, culture, science, religion, sexuality, etc. `Try Jesus!’ runs an American slogan. You have to try everything, for consumerist man is haunted by the fear of `missing’ something, some form of enjoyment or other. You never know whether a particular encounter, a particular experience (Christmas in the Canaries, eel in whisky, the Prado, LSD, Japanese-style love-making) will not elicit some `sensation’. It is no longer desire, or even `taste’, or a specific inclination that are at stake, but a generalized curiosity, driven by a vague sense of unease — it is the `fun morality’ or the imperative to enjoy oneself, to exploit to the full one’s potential for thrills, pleasure or gratification."
>>
File: 1454037152764.jpg (64 KB, 727x727) Image search: [Google]
1454037152764.jpg
64 KB, 727x727
>>7656263
I do. I started with Marx, fell down a marxist reading rabbit hole of hundreds of books then there are all the structuralists and then i needed to read the post structuralists, and then i realized I needed the phenomenologists and then i realized i needed the greeks and then I realized I had no idea how to actually write at all and hardly even know what I know if anything at all.

this has also made me back up on about 1000 films i have ready to watch

"Hence the revival of a universal curiosity (a concept to be explored further) in respect of cookery, culture, science, religion, sexuality, etc. `Try Jesus!’ runs an American slogan. You have to try everything, for consumerist man is haunted by the fear of `missing’ something, some form of enjoyment or other. "

of course by not missing anything I've missed everything. The ones of you, the modernists, should be proud to live your conservative lives, I'd say don't try to be people of your time or the future.
>>
>>7657201
Baudrillard the /pol/ite coming down hard on the degenerates
>>
>>7657077
It's a permanent anxiety, not a drug induced one
>>
File: 1377342654922.jpg (79 KB, 640x922) Image search: [Google]
1377342654922.jpg
79 KB, 640x922
I feel the opposite - life has so little options to offer. All we can do is move, watch, hear, smell, taste, touch and think. Is it just me or it's a terrible and pretty scary limit
>>
>>7656263
You have already failed because you are overwhelmed by things you "consume."
Fucking consume.
Not things you enjoy or things you can do to learn but consume.

Until you change your mindset to be about doing what you like or what improves yourself you will be constantly overwhelmed because you are just thinking about shoving everything down your metaphorical gullet.
>>
>>7656305
TV and (to a lesser extent) vidya are passive media. There is no minimum level of focus needed to watch TV so it enables and reinforces laziness, even if there is nothing wrong with the show itself.

Vidya are exceptional but then they can be reward-based which is even more toxifying.
>>
>>7656263
how much would you give to gently touch her tits? how much more would you give up to lick and kiss them? Me, I'd give it all up. Also, I've found girls are really laissez-faire about their tits really,
>>
>>7656316
Oh, then you just don't have any discipline. This is why positive reinforcement is bad. You and your parents are all failures.

Seriously. You just fucking suck.
>>
>>7656263

>Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the amount of choices in things we can consume?

If you weren't such a pleb you'd be mining these things for ideas and only feel overwhelmed by how quickly the hours pass.

If all of this is only aimless "consuming" to you and not a real effort to constantly deepen your personal sensibility and character then you are going about this all wrong.
>>
>>7658614

He needs to focus on his learning or move on but you are doing yourself no favours either here with this embarrassing "haet machine" routine that you are still holding onto.
>>
File: 1451725094880.png (137 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451725094880.png
137 KB, 500x500
>>7657201
Fuck man
>>
>>7658614
>being a NEET means he doesn't have discipline
>discipline
Tell me more about how society has brain washed you into believing these terms are anything more than spooks.
>>
>>7657201
>for consumerist man is haunted by the fear of 'missing' something
True. I need to read this shit. I just read The Ego and its Own and Society of the Spectacle and I feel like this sounds extremely similar to those two
>>
>>7656263

you produce what you consume. consume only to maximise the quality and quantity of what you produce
>>
become a snob
>>
>>7658608
Fuck off, she's mine you fag
>>
>>7656263
What I wouldn't give to shove one of those white tangerines into my mouth
FFUCK
>>
>>7656263
I feel your pain OP, it is not as simple as it sounds and "tuning out" for a while is a self-defeating and temporary

You HAVE to prioritise what you actually want to do and throw out all lists, obligations, and vain, superficial goals

The only next step is to consume voraciously, book-by-book or film-by-film without planning more than a book ahead. Read for joy what you feel compelled to read. Aim to finish, but do not be afraid of ditching a boringly written mess.

The reason you cant concentrate on any one thing is because you do not yet have a thing. Find it, or find many. This is your formative period.
>>
>>7658758
fuck you HornyTravis123 I skimmed past the OP image and thought you were referring to actual white tangerines not some boobs
>>
>>7658678

>>>/r9k/

>>>/beltnoose/

Two options. Pick one. Nobody cares which.
>>
>>7658760
Sensible advice.
Yea OP, ignore people on here being negative as an outlet. This is a real problem and is ever present in our modern media centered culture. Social pressure is enough to make anyone consider watching a 70 hour TV show, a movie series, etc, and there are as many series' out there as there are people to recommend them to you. To avoid being consumed by media, one has to develop their own FOCUSED interests and find what gives them the most reward or growth.
Personal example: I played too many video games as a kid. In my young adult years I found that I wasn't really enjoying them anymore, but was playing them out of force of habit. Some of this was pursuing long time series' or friend recommendations. I just don't play any anymore. It's hard with some old friends to find anything to connect over, but once something is not interesting to you it needs to be abandoned.

In short, find what YOU like, pursue it. Don't get distracted and focus on one thing at a time. Your brain doesn't divide its attention linearly (ie, if you split your attention among two things you don't necessarily get 50% attention on each; there is a diminishing factor in there.)

Good luck.
>>
>>7656300
CHECKED
>>
>>7658678
Not him but you're being glaringly dense

Discipline is literally just the ability to conceptualise and obtain your desires. It is the rudimentary tool that enables all learning.
>>
I basically only listen to rap and Japanese psychedelic noise rock, the former of which I listen to during Internet-browsing, the latter for reading literature. After a certain point, the dissonance of Les Rallizes Denudes' guitars hurt my ears to the point that I basically can't hear shit, and thus can't be distracted by sound while reading
>>
>>7657144
>Better Call Saul
This show rivals Twin Peaks s2 for the position of most drastic quality whiplashes. Every other episode of BCS is pretty shit. And god damn that finale was terrible.
>>
>tfw you read the canon instead of going out and getting laid
>tfw you could have gotten laid today but made up a weak excuse to go home and read DFW essays
>>
>>7658819
>Discipline is literally just the ability to conceptualise and obtain your desires
You're completely wrong though. Go read some Foucault or something. For fuck sake lad
>>
>>7656711
Hi Schopenhauer!
>>
>>7658983
>not haunting art galleries and coffeeshops to drop panties at the mere suggestion of the breadth of your knowledge of the canon
m8
>>
>>7658983
>thinks I don't use reading as a way to cope with being friendless virgin manboy
>>
>>7656263
Dunno. Overtime you just figure out what you like and what is really important to you and prioritize. I've got this somewhat down when it comes to entertainment consumption. Fuck all if I know how fix creation.
>>
>>7657201
literally just blew my mind
>>
>>7657342
Lol at your experiential knowledge. Seek gnosis or remain bound by limits and more bounds.
>>
>>7658760
Some pretty good advice here. Looking at the next rung on the ladder instead of agonizing over how much more 19th century Russian literature there is to read before I'm "done."

Gonna pick up War and Peace tonight.
>>
>>7659204
You'll never be close to done reading translations.
>>
Just don't become one of those whose life mission is to watch every anime and you'll be okay.
>>
>>7656263
Maybe some time ago, but luckily as a true patrician I realized the time of all knowing tip top educated British noblemen passed and every single medium/field of study expanded tremendously and we should have focus, not consume things aimlessly
>>
>>7656300
Noice
>>
Perhaps it renders media production efforts more insignificant, like the new sticky on /lit/.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz-7d3HZE7o
>>
>>7656953
Reality is neither suffering nor happiness. Reality is being and has no quality that can be ascribed to it via reflection. The pure existence of something does not include purpose or sense. If you say that reality is a nightmare, then that is just like your opinion anon. Or maybe your personal reality. But not reality for itself.
>>
I simply ignore it all and keep masturbating
>>
>>7660016
tbqh this senpai
>>
DAVID FOSTER W A L L A C E
DAVID FOSTER W A L L A C E
>>
Mediums differ. find which one you like best. would advise against TV and video games if you want to be well adjusted to canons.
>>
>>7656712
>using bourgeoisie as an adjective
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.