[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brothers Karamazov
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: karamazov.jpg (10 KB, 184x275) Image search: [Google]
karamazov.jpg
10 KB, 184x275
Started reading this... Don't understand a shit ton of the words used. Wut do
>>
git gud. and this isn't even the git gud of literature.
>>
>>7653343
suicide might help
>>
come back to it when your ready, or keep a dictionary by you. reading it in your present state will be a waste.
>>
Reading it on my Kindle where I can just press a word for it's definition, which I have been doing a lot of the last 250~ pages.

Try a dictionary, might even learn something in the end.
>>
I know /lit/ is kind of snobby about translations, but maybe you should get a copy in a language you speak.
>>
>>7653372
>>7653365
>>7653355
Yeah I always check words I don't know on my phone but I always feel like such a retard and it affects the clarity of my reading.
>>
If a book is too challenging save it for later. Or if you're stubborn put the work in necessary to read it. I find the 2nd approach improves your reading ability more than putting it on the shelf indefinitely.

You can always read a book again so don't worry about not getting everything the first time.
>>
Are you reading it in your native language? If yes, commit suicide. If not, get a translation in your language.
>>
>>7653372
Well, he should have done that in the first place. I mean, what is he going to do, read this shit in Russian? Who the hell speaks Russian?
>>
>>7653343
Which words? I'm curious
>>
>>7653343
Stop being stupid
>>
>>7653343
Honestly just read other books with more easily grasped wording. I'd recommend academic books and or history. They can be a good build up and introduce you to good words.
If you want to get better at understanding complex sentences try Polayni's The Great Transformation
It's not an easy read by any stretch of the imagination. When I first "got into reading" I struggled with Lolita in terms of comprehension just because I was so new to reading. Seriously just consider working up to it or slug through it man. Also reading fantasy books to get better and better at just taking in information via reading is never a bad idea, and they're probably more enjoyable than half the shit these small-dicked pricks will tout to make their imagined non-absent parental figure not leave them.
>>
>>7653343
What sorts of words are you struggling with, OP? Footnotes should help a lot with certain cultural words/ideas (e.g. troika), but beyond that I don't really remember having difficulty with TBK's vocabulary. I would also suggest using a Kindle/ereader so that you can look up the words you don't know with ease.
>>
Shit, I picked this up yesterday for 8 dollars. How screwed am I?
>>
>>7653343

samovar means cooking pot. that's all you really need to know
>>
>>7653343
The problem OP is that it is really a boring book that all the losers on here fap to after reading it's spark notes in an attempt to sound intellectual to other anonymous people on a anime image board.

Read books that interest you instead.
>>
>>7653343
>Don't understand the words in a book
Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me.

m8....

this place has gone to fucking shit, I'm out

TRY LOOKING THEM UP IN THE FUCKING DICTIONARY
>>
>>7653343
Just read The Rebel by Camus, same shit.
>>
>>7654313
i thought a samovar was like a tea kettle
>>
>>7654337
>the brothers karamazov
>boring
I don't believe that you actually read the book.
>>
>>7653343
stop, and pick up a dictionary, and fucking read it.
>>
https://www.nms.org/Resources/SATVocabularyLessons.aspx

revert to studying words. you have to learn how to learn words. go through lessons, learn how to contextually understand words and derive meaning from root words.
>>
File: nig tryin to bait.jpg (36 KB, 500x631) Image search: [Google]
nig tryin to bait.jpg
36 KB, 500x631
>>7654337
>>
>>7653343
Not a great translation.
>>
>>7653343
Isn't there an appendix/glossary with that edition?
>>
>the brothers Karamazov
>not the Karamazov brothers

You're reading a bad translation m8
>>
File: 1446191390591.png (95 KB, 700x674) Image search: [Google]
1446191390591.png
95 KB, 700x674
>mfw native russian speaker
>there are sentences in this book which have sexualized subtext but foreigners won't understand it because it looses the meaning by translating
>>
>>7656149
Quite smuggish aren't you :^)
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.