[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best translation of the Bible from a purely literary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3
What's the best translation of the Bible from a purely literary perspective?
>>
>>7644904
In English? KJV seems obvious.
>>
NIV to be honest family. KJV is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>7644911
>niv
>from a literary perspective

The NIV is literally the walmart of bible translations made by evangelical protestants for evangelical protestants. The KJV is a work of art.
>>
>>7644918
Nailed it

However, try the Vulgate
>>
>>7644904
Aramaic and Greek.
>>
>>7644926
I can't wait till my Latin is good enough to give it a go

that feel when they don't teach Latin in the public schools :(

I have a few years of Latin from university courses but I'm far from fluent enough to read something without a dictionary in hand :(
>>
>>7644918

NIV:
>Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Then compare with the this ugly archaic shit in KJV:
>Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
>>
>>7644944
KJV is a meme bible merely because people think old timey obscure things sound more authorative to be honest.
>>
1.learn hebrew
2.read bible
3.?????
4.profit
>>
>>7644957
Why not learn Greek and read the original?
>>
>>7644944
I mean, if you can't understand the KJV then I guess the NIV is for you. But for me, the second one sounds far better, and I don't have any trouble deciphering the meaning.
>>
>>7644944
Why the NIV though? The RSV or the Jerusalem Bible or any other contemporary translation reads practically the same.
>>
>>7644964
> greek
>original

kek
>>
>>7644944
NLT for comparison:

>Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
>>
>>7644944
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. NIV is shit translation. When Paul was writing that passage, he purposefully messed up the Greek to make sure it was VERY clear that love was verb to be modified, Hence, "suffereth" in an adverbial conflict. Not only is it more poetic, it's just plain right.
>>
>>7644970
>the second one sounds far better

You can't be serious. Or do you just think prose is automatically better when every word ends in "-eth"? The NIV version flows beautifully without interruptions, the KJV is stumbling all over itself. And using the word "charity" instead of love just makes it sound weak.
>>
>>7644964
3edgy5me
>>
Dianetics L Ron Hubbard
>>
NRSV is what we have used in our classes. It has a fantastic amount of scholarly material in it.
>>
>>7644993
What the fuck kind of pussy would find that edgy?
>>
>reading the bible
lmao. the only good that shit is for is firewood.
the sooner this stupid religeon leaves the earth the better
>>
>>7645056
haha

surely someone will fall for this, right anon?

haha
>>
>>7645056
I had fun doing a research project on magic in the old testament. People being set on fire, brought back from the dead, inflicted with diseases. The old testament is pretty metal.
>>
>>7644943
They taught it at mine.
>>
This one is my favorite:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/039306493X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1454266801&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bible+new+testament+restored&dpPl=1&dpID=51e-2ysBPUL&ref=plSrch
>>
>>7644944
NIV sounds like something my mom would share on facebook
>>
>>7645267
what country and what year?
>>
>>7645411
Not him but I had a friend who took Latin at a public school in Chicago. I think it has more to do with the area's affluence than the region or country.
>>
>>7644952
It's a way for Protestants to experience a Catholic priest reading scripture in Latin while facing a wall.
>>
>>7645408
How do you think Christianity spread so well? Those soundbites are pure proselytizing gold.
>>
>>7645435
they started latin classes at my public junior high in seventh grade, but i lived in a quite patrish area to be honest with u
>>
Bloom says KJV
>>
>>7645492
my school was pretty ghetto (one of the shittier Northern Virginia schools) and I took Latin all four years. Class of '14.
>>
File: 1454262452754.gif (2 MB, 331x248) Image search: [Google]
1454262452754.gif
2 MB, 331x248
>>7645056
>>
douay rheims
>>
>>7644952
>>7644944
>>7644918
love it or hate it the kjv is the most influential bible besides maybe the Vulgate. besides learning archaic words improves the vocabulary, complaining about it makes you sound like high school children complaining about Shakespeare
>>7645056
/lit/ is a Christen/Muslim/Jewish/Pagan/Zoroastrian/Buddhist/Confucius/Taoist/Gnostic/Sufi/Hindu/Jainism/Skih/Catholic/Orthodox/Mormon/Shinto/anything that is not dirty atheism, every religion is a jewel on the necklace of divinity.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 210x265) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 210x265
This, if you think you're patrician enough.
>>
The King James
>>
>>7644952
No, there is literary contemporary translation of the Bible, Robert Alter's. But it's just the Hebrew Covenant. The truth is that the King James is the only high literature translation in English. I say that as Orthodox, I use an Orthodox New Testament, and we're working on an OT, but from a literary standpoint, the King James is just the best there is, at least in English.
>>
>>7645517
The issue is finding somebody who can both teach and is able to teach Latin. One could speak Latin fluently but not be able to teach it and its intricacies which often overwhelm anglophones.

And because it is a complex language, few students will take it because most are lazy. So most public schools cannot afford to reserve a classroom for a Latin class; pay for a niche teacher which may demand a higher salary; and pay said teacher to only teach a handful of students.

They essentially have to either be a very serious school, or have the money.
>>
>>7644904
Hebrew

The bible is very poetic. Lots of word play and rhyming in hebrew.
>>
>>7644944
KJV translation is damn near an entirely different and probably more accurate.
>>
w2c gorgeous edition of the bible (KJV)
>>
>>7645056

>firewood

Did anyone watch The Day After Tomorrow and get angry they were burning books to stay warm but not the plethora of wooden furniture at the library?
>>
I want to learn a language so I can read an original version of the bible and not a translation. Aramaic or Greek?
>>
>>7648171
שטויות. עברית תנ״כית היא שפה רדודה. התרגומים לאנגלית עשירים בהרבה.
חוץ מכמה חלקים (קהלת, שיר השירים) הכתיבה נורא יבשה ועניינית.
>>
KJV is obviously the go-to reference for literary beauty.
Otherwise, the Vulgate is quite a pleasant read; it is also extremely quotable.
>>
>>7644989

You're a fucking idiot who does not know a thing about the history behind one of the two most important texts of the English language (the other one being Shakespeare's First Folio)..
>>
ITT: anglocentrism
>>
>>7644904
How comes no one has said NOA or RV yet?
Oh right, this board is filled with dilettanti shitlords that discuss based solely on what they learned from Wikipedia articles.
Go for any of those two OP. KJV is beautiful in it's own way too though, if you want to go for a choice more in line with what people you might discuss it with will have read.
>>
>>7647715
>haha, anon is so funny posting this shooped image
>look it up online
>HOLYFUCKIT'SREAL?!
>>
>>7644904
The KJV, as mentioned already, is still probably the best "literary" translation of all the books (provided you get an edition with the Apocrypha), though some of its sources, Tyndale and Wycliffe, are very good as well. As for newer translations of great literary merit, Robert Alter's translations are all both beautiful and far more accurate than the KJV. Everett Fox has an interesting set of translations as well, which read somewhat like modernist poetry.
>>
Post ur favorite bible quotes you pagan filth
>>
i use the oxford one
>>
>>7645195
>The old testament is pretty metal.
I'm reading through the entire thing, just went through 25 pages of descriptions of tabernacles and priests' clothing. Pretty metal right
>>
>>7649947
Alter's translations are spread out across half a dozen books...profiteering on the bible, unbelievable.
>>
>>7644944
KJV:

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Douey Rheims (Called the most literary Catholic Translation):
The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.
>>
>>7650032
Boo fucking hoo. You want the best or not?
>>
Here's a bit of Alter btw:

1 When God began to create heaven and earth, 2 and the earth then was
water and waste and darkness over the deep and God's breath hovering
over the waters, 3 God said, "Let there be light." And there was
light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good, and God divided the
light from the darkness. 5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness
He called Night. And it was evening and it was morning, first
day. 6 And God said, "Let there be a vault in the midst of the waters,
and let it divide water from water." 7 And God made the vault and it
divided the water beneath the vault from the water above the vault,
and so it was. 8 And God called the vault Heavens, and it was evening
and it was morning, second day. 9 And God said, "Let the waters under
the heavens be gathered in one place so that the dry land will appear,"
and so it was. 10 And God called the dry land Earth and the gathering of
waters He called Seas, and God saw that it was good
>>
>>7650034
Young's Literal Translation?
>>
as an atheist i think your time would be better spent reading actual literature :)
>>
>>7644981
>implying the bible and Jesus weren't created by Greek speaking Jews
>>
NKJV, best of both worlds.
>>
Wen you get love an aloha, you can handle all kine pilikia an hang in dea long time. You get good heart fo help da odda peopo. You no get jealous cuz da odda guy get someting you like. Wen you get love an aloha, you no need talk big. You no mo big head. 5 You no ack pilau kine. You no ack like everybody gotta do everyting yoa way. You no get huhu fast. Wen you get love an aloha, you no goin rememba all da bad kine stuff peopo wen do to you. 6 You no feel good inside wen somebody do someting dass wrong, but you feel plenny good inside wen somebody tell da trut. 7 Wen you get love an aloha, you can hang in dea fo everyting an no give up eva. You always trus God bout everyting. You know everyting goin come okay bumbye. You can stand strong everytime.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.