[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have 10 seconds to explain any sense in reading philosophy.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 1450760261624.jpg (154 KB, 964x1388) Image search: [Google]
1450760261624.jpg
154 KB, 964x1388
You have 10 seconds to explain any sense in reading philosophy.

>protip: you can't
>>
>>7644660
>protip: you can't
Okay then I won't try
>>
>>7644660
Because I enjoy it, which means others can enjoy it too.
>>
>>7644660
Well it is going to be impossible for two reasons. Firstly, because philosophy requires either a chain of logic or a general theory to justify itself (which could take several minutes/hours to properly explain). Secondly, philosophy isn't some kind of magical reviling of truth, which when reached will be total and complete enlightenment. It is a process and in its very nature cannot be experienced or 'reached' in 10 seconds.
>>
>>7644692
>>7644692

>>>reddit.com
>>
>>7644660
It's empowering.
>>
>>7644692
/thread

Saged and moved on.
>>
>>7644660
I read continental philosophy mostly to expand my vocabulary for describing literary phenomena.
>>
>>7644699
>Falling for the meme of calling everything you don't like a meme/redditer/tumblr
If you assume all schools of philosophy over all the history is senseless, then you are ignorant and/or too lazy to study it, knowing it takes time and dedication.
Or, possibly, this is, hopefully, bait, in its highest quality. And it has been bitten.
>>
>>7644660
What do you mean? Philosophy is everything. It's also inescapable--some form of philosophy underlies virtually every aspect of any given society; generally, when people ask these kinds of questions, or dismiss philosophy, they neglect to acknowledge the fact that they've accepted an entire conceptual system through socialization and social conditioning--an entire inherited value-system, underpinned by various forms of philosophy--without their conscious awareness. When you begin to read philosophy, beginning with someone like Plato, for instance, who claims that "the unexamined life is not worth living", you begin to develop the type of conceptual tools and mind state that enables you to begin to question your unacknowledged presuppositions and tacit assumptions about the world, that have been ingrained into each of us, whichever society you grow up in, and, if unchecked, rule your life and live themselves through you, like some kind of parasite. There is no seeing outside of philosophy, and if you don't use it, you merely accept the philosophies socialized into you as an innocent and inchoate mind. Even a total rejection of thought is itself a kind of philosophical position. Philosophy affords us an opportunity to perceive the world in new ways, to interrogate reality, truth, being, and everything in between. It opens up the possibility of new ways of being in the world. Your very self-hood and identity, everything that you think and perceive, is in some way influenced by philosophy, whether you are aware of it or not. And it can be an utterly life-changing enterprise, if pursued with diligence. I'd better stop now, but I could certainly go on.
>>
>>7644802
Well said, continue if you like.
>>
>>7644802
nice man, a non-shitpost considerably big reply, rare to see those
>>
I started with some anthologies on the Pre-Socratics, read the complete works of Plato and Aristotle, and then spent a few months studying Aquinas' Summas. I then converted to Catholicism.

Is there any point in continuing on to modern philosophy?
>>
>>7644839
of course, lol. most people just skip scholasticism altogether. modern philosophy is where it all really takes off; there are an enormity of seminal 20th century works, even, but all of them presuppose the reader's acquaintance with modern philosophy--so yeah, it's something you really need to slug your way through.
>>
>>7644802
tl;dr With Philosophy you leave the world of mere sense-perception, that passive life turned upon itself in eternal consumption (the "I") and an advancement is made towards the free, active Thought.
>>
>>7644802
>bought the critical-genealogical meme
>>
Changed my life, had tangible positive effects on my body and mind, and probably saved me from doing some heavy drastic shit and hurting myselg
>>
That philosophy is literally the foundation of everything is trivial. All you have to do is take the concept of ontological commitment and apply it to everything, but perhaps most notably and surprisingly, to the sciences since it is the sciences that tend to brush off Philosophy for being non-instrumental and non-pragmatical (which is somewhat true, but that doesn't mean there is no Philosophy underlying the sciences). But in a matter of fact, Philosophy DOES lay the foundations of the sciences, for the simple reason that all sciences build upon a certain set of assumptions and these assumptions are ONTOLOGICAL COMMITMENTS or claims about how the world IS. And any talk of ontology, my friends, belongs to Philosophy, for ontology ⊆ Philosophy. I won't go into how PhD-level monographs, textbooks etc. all acknowledge more or less the importance of Philosophy for conceptualizing foundations of pretty much any field of human inquiry, for thinking about theoretical stuff in general, etcetera.

The chief problem is, and always have been, the ignorant undergraduates that lack a coherent bird-view account of things due to lack of theoretical knowledge (by and large, this means little to none knowledge of Philosophy). But given sufficient time, they have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes. Some never do, though.
>>
>>7644909
+1000000000
>>
>>7644839
did you read the bible? just curious
>>
to think about what the answer to some questions might be
>>
philosophy "love of wisdom" is now about rejecting wisdom.
philosophy is dead because of subjectivism and relativism and mocked.
>>
>Thus, to sum up our discussion of the value of philosophy; Philosophy is to be studied, not for the sake of any definite answers to its questions, since no definite answers can, as a rule, be known to be true, but rather for the sake of the questions themselves; because these questions enlarge our conception of what is possible, enrich our intellectual imagination and diminish the dogmatic assurance which closes the mind against speculation; but above all because , through the greatness of the universe which philosophy contemplates, the mind is also rendered great, and becomes capable of that union with the universe which constitutes its highest good.
-Bertrand Russell, The Problems of Philosophy
Guy really didn't like full stops.
>>
These books focus on the bigger picture. And that is good.
>>
>>7644924
why would i, jsus chus
>>
>any sense

bad. what you want to ask is why pursue knowledge when its been demonstrated human knowledge (and achievement) is intrinsically worthless

why not be an undisciplined nihilist running around tryna fuck as anything that you think you wanna fuck

its about liberty not freedom

the pursuit not the goal, the moment not the future. etc

you dont pursue wisdom because you want to be wise, you pursue wisdom because its the best thing for you to pursue. the best use of your time, leading to the most beautiful examined life.

>become one of the worthies of the world
etc

disclaimer:i am still hopeful for the future
>>
>>7644660
To become a smarter human bean.
>>
reading philosophy is like turning your life into a video game with no real ending but constantly new levels and content and weird allies and comrades to explore it with

not reading philosophy is like staying in the starter area and cybering with other Level 1s forever

eventually the latter gets boring
>>
>>7646446
That' a really bad analogy even though you have good intentions.
>>
>not escaping the fly bottle
>>
To be ready for death
Like ma nigga a schoppy
>>
>>7646446
>"new levels"
>hollow justifications for failed political and economic schemes

Better to be boring than to waste your time with philosophy.
>>
>>7644660
It makes life easier, hard philosophy is self-help for autists. Not even being condescending, it's improved my life tenfold. And it kills time like no other, good shit. You need half a brain though so sorry OP.
>>
>>7646503
>Better to be boring than to waste your time with philosophy.

philosophy is actually more retarded than religion, i'm considering throwing out all my philosophy and marxist bullshit books and replace them with one bible so my shelf has room for computer science and business books
>>
>>7646439
this post made me feel good
>>
>>7644839
>Is there any point in continuing on to modern philosophy?
no, learn the dhamma instead
>>
>>7646261
>ask
Idk, maybe because...you converted to catholicism?
>>
So I can understand Zizek and help contribute to the collective human unconscious.
>>
>>7644660
Because truth exists only in philosophy, to think, is to experience some sort of truth, and to think, is to philosophize
>>
File: 1449178773510.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449178773510.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
The pursuit of communicable understanding of perfect harmony in being, as well as happiness.

>Pursuit, because you may never get there

>Communicable, because it may be found without words simply by being through time

>as well as, because achieving perfect peace with being requires the sacrifice of true happiness, which is at base an elation of the blood. One at peace with being may only have contentment.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.