[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/ Valentine's Day is in two weeks. There's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: treeart.jpg (481 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
treeart.jpg
481 KB, 700x525
Hey /lit/

Valentine's Day is in two weeks. There's a girl who works in my office complex who I'd like to give a card to anonymously. Would the following message be autistic?

For Amy,

Happy Valentine's Day.

With love and squalor,

Bartleby

Does it sound like I'm trying to be deep&edgy or tryhard or something? The "joke" or reference here is that I'm a pretty quiet and expressionless individual in work. I've always like the Salinger story and her name sounds kinda similar to Esme's, though I'm not sure if it's sort of creepy since the girl in the story is around thirteen years old. Also I think using the word "love" here is maybe premature and again a little creepy perhaps.

Are there any females here willing to tell me what they think and what their reaction would perhaps be to receiving this?
>>
Has she read the book and discussed it with you?
If yes, that's probably fine.
In not, don't.
>>
>>7638809
No but I imagine she does read books. She's a pretty quote unquote cultural person.
>>
>>7638813
or cultured* I should say

Also why not if not?
>>
>>7638814
Because if she doesn't get the reference right away then she'll feel patronised and be defensive. If you're going to make a reference in your card for her, make it to something you've talked about in the past. If you can't think of anything, keep it simple.
>>
>>7638820
We haven't really talked beyond sharing a brief few words about something in the office I work in. We aren't colleagues and so it's not as if we get many opportunities to talk. I don't want to seem like a stalker or a creep. The reason I think I may not appear that way is partly because in college a girl I had only said hey to a couple of times slipped a similar card under my dormroom door one valentines with some lyrics I found touching. I didn't end up dating her but I kinda wish I had now.
>>
File: Your Valentines day.gif (2 MB, 497x280) Image search: [Google]
Your Valentines day.gif
2 MB, 497x280
>>7638804
Give it a shot, what's the worst that can happen?
>>
>>7638869
Sexual harassment complaints, humiliation by both her and her colleagues, an email being sent around en masse asking people not to be creepy by sending shit like that, her feeling uncomfortable to come to work, her immediately figuring out who wrote it (I was thinking of mailing it to the workplace so it would at least not make it so obvious).

I mean optimistically thinking she would find it sweet, appreciate the humour and thought in the references, and may realize it's me and express some sort of acknowledgement of that fact while subtly communicating her willingness to be "approached" by me.

Thinking pessimistically she will think "what the fuck" and already have a boyfriend and ask the building's manager to send around an email (pretty much conspicuously aimed at me) to all staff telling them some creepy dude sent a weird letter to someone and that they shouldn't do it. Or that he would have the same reaction but show her disgust with that form of expression (perhaps reading the word "love" and thinking I genuinely "love" her, when really in the story at least it's more a sort of formal if sincere expression of compassion or something) and might gossip about it / me to her colleagues, who would then look at me with mockery when we pass, and might even subtly inform my co-workers that someone gave her a card with a literary reference, in which case they will immediately identify me as the author and have that over me, so to speak.

I mean I guess I might be being too "romantic" in a way that really isn't actually very romantic or appealing. But I just had this idea and wanted to know what /lit/ thought.
>>
>>7638897
Yeah I'd just not do it, especially given that you barely know this chick
>>
also OP here.

Where we work in New York is relatively close to where the Bartleby story takes place, which I thought might be relevant here, though I'm afraid what the message will communicate is

"Hi,

I'm depressed and in love with you,

Anon
>>
If you want to get with her then just fucking talk to her, if you want to send an anonymous note then just send a polite compliment to make her smile, not a shitty reference that will creep her out.
>>
>>7638925
make it way lighter and slightly funny
>>
I would be assuming she's read all these books
>>
>>7638912
Hmm, this seems like the best option.

>>7638937
Yeah I guess I'm being dramatic here or something. I get impulses to do shit like this and I don't know why. I hope this isn't autism.
>>
>>7638946
You would be what?
>>
>>7638804
>>7638813
I've read a reasonable number of books but don't have a clue what you're making a reference to. I'm not Murrican though so maybe that makes a difference.
>>
damn op that nigga in yo pic got that dfw swag
>>
>>7640206
This
>>
Don't leave notes, anonymous or not. They can be kind of unsettling or awkward. Talk to her and get to know her. "Hey, how's it going?" etc.

Maybe by next valentines day it would be acceptable to give a chocolate or something.
>>
>>7640326
What's wrong with an anonymous valentines card?

Isn't that like a part of what valentine's is all about?
>>
>>7640370
>They can be kind of unsettling or awkward.
>>
>>7640370
No it's not. It's a meme, and even normies know this one.
>>
>>7640370
It's one thing if you're already well acquainted with the person. It falls into that "unsettling or awkward" territory if you're basically strangers ('Uh, okay, why didn't you talk to me at all? You've just been staring from afar this whole time...?") <-- Not really a good introduction.

>Isn't that like a part of what valentine's is all about?
It's a holiday to sell shit.
>>
Romance is dead OP, you have been thoroughly memed.

Just send her a dick pic
>>
Why would you ever be attracted to some old hag? I'm getting my wife a Hermes shawl and a few other more personal gifts, plus a poem I began when she was 14.

It's an absolutely awful idea, and all chances considered she'll probably figure out that it's you and report you for being a 'creep'.
>>
>>7640206
It's ripped right from the title of a salinger story
>>
>>7641339
Maybe she has non-pleb taste and won't recognize it.

>For Amy,

>Happy Valentines Day.

>Wishing you a very Grey evening,

>S&M Enthusiast
>>
>>7638960
Wouldn't*
>>
OP here, I have another one:

For Amy,

Happy Valentine's Day.

What we talk about when we talk about love

Bartleby
>>
The inspiration's really hit this time:

For Amy,

Happy Valentine's Day.

Babyfucker.

Bartleby
>>
>>7638804
yes, this would be extremely autistic
don't give her a card
>>
>>7641356
kek
>>
>>7640370
How fucking old are you kid
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.