[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prince of Nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: Skin-spy_2.jpg (122 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
Skin-spy_2.jpg
122 KB, 792x792
>Probability Trance me this:

I've been a fan of Bakker's work for a long time and while eagerly awaiting for the Great Ordeal to be released later this year, I decided to freshen up my memory on the first trilogy; while covering some bits of backstory on the most loved and most hated characters of the series, the Dunyain, a small revelation struck me.

The Dunyain were living in a self-imposed isolation for some 2000 years in Ishual during their "conditioning experiment", separated and severed from the rest of the world entierly, until Moenghus and sometime after him Kellhus were exiled (in a way), interrupting the said isolation, right? Considering their sect had no contact with the Three Seas for all that time, a region quite remote from their secrete fortress, how come both Moenghus and Kellhus didn't instantly succumb to some illness alien to their culture, practically the moment they came into contact with the rest of humanity? Like the Aztecs and the Mayans did after Spanish arrived or Martians to humans in "War of the Worlds"? I know their program of selective breeding altered their genetics to the extent of them having difficulties breeding with baseline humanity, but that shouldn't make them automatically immune to every possible disease. At the very best they would be different from us (regular humans) as any other species from the Homo genus was. And there is no contingency for that. Especially taking into account the medieval post-apocalyptical tech level of the civilizations of Earwa. Not even the Dunyain could attain the required medical knowledge, precisely because of their isolation - no matter how intelligent they were, they simply can't invent or make remedies for the ailments they know nothing about...

Is this covered anywhere or explained? Or we are just expected to jump over this plothole and ignore it? Bear in mind that I'm not trying to break the story, I'm just curios and thinking that this is an interesting omission on Bakkers side, considering how much effort did he put into his work to make it believable and interesting.
>>
Because it's not important
>>>763325
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.