[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about Oscar Wilde. Is it just pretentious?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 800px-Lippincott_doriangray.jpg (308 KB, 800x1238) Image search: [Google]
800px-Lippincott_doriangray.jpg
308 KB, 800x1238
What does /lit/ think about Oscar Wilde.

Is it just pretentious?
>>
I like the Importance of Being Ernest. Best movie of his vast filmography.
Pretty good critic as well.
>>
>write satires about social pretenses
>get called pretentious
fantastical about audience intellect maybe
>>
>>7628900
Currently reading Dorian Gray. Pretty good so far.
>>
>>7628900
Dorian Gray is one of my favourite novels
>>
>>7628958
Are you saying if I call you a faggot, I am not a faggot?
>>
>>7628969
you can call me daddy if you like, you'll still have missed the intention behind the pretenses you're not sure if wilde adopted or not.
>>
>>7628981
That does not save you from the fact that your first post is incoherent.
>>
File: image.jpg (608 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
608 KB, 1536x2048
Rank moralist and didacticist. A favorite between the ages of 8 and 14. Essentially a writer for very young people. Romantic in the large sense.
>>
>>7629030
>homosexual
>“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."

Can you call someone like that a moralist?
>>
>>7629018
it's calling you too stupid to understand things. that's why things seem incoherent.
>>
He wasn't at all pretentious.
>>
>>7629067
Sometimes you need to catch a dick in order to properly collect yourself.
>>
>>7629067
>Rank moralist and didacticist. A favorite between the ages of 8 and 14. Essentially a writer for very young people. Romantic in the large sense.
He's talking about his children's stories with Jesus, his letters, and general tendency to moral fables and aphoristic style. i.e. Nabokov actually read Wilde, unlike you, who watched a movie with Stephen Fry.
>>
>>7629030
Is Nabokov referring to his own age, or the age of the people that like Wilde?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.