[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the formal/academic study of literature have value? A significant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: derrida.jpg (192 KB, 1200x914) Image search: [Google]
derrida.jpg
192 KB, 1200x914
Does the formal/academic study of literature have value? A significant enough value to dedicate oneself to it as a professional scholar?

I'm studying comparative literature, myself, so that kind of shows my hand; but I'm curious to know your thoughts, /lit/.
>>
Depends whether you mean in an ideal sense or for the average academic.

The average academic is a spiritless idealess null who has been poorly trained by inefficient repetition to play make-believe that his papers about Brecht's diarrhea years warrant a constant supply of grant money. But if we're talking about actual intellectuals, then yeah, furthering the human understanding of art (and history and other things) helps individuate the species and make it discover itself and all that.
>>
>>7628774
Is there something that characterizes an "actual intellectual" apart from their ideawork would you say? Some X factor, some je ne sais quoi?
>>
>>7628798
Not him, but I believe there needs to be a certain degree of originality in the true intellectual. Rather than simply absorb literature and philosophy and keep it as a memorized codex of concepts, I think a real intellectual genuinely internalizes what she or he reads and tries to apply it to his or her own life, which involves a certain degree of creativity in fitting the ideas of great men into one's own particular circumstances.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.