[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I plunge right away or start with Dubliners?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Should I plunge right away or start with Dubliners?
>>
Dubs.
>>
Read it now and see how far you get before giving up. Then read it again in five years or so when you can actually enjoy it.

That's what I did at least.
>>
>>7626690

Start with Dubliners.
>>
>>7626690
dive right the fuck in. I read Ulysses before i read portrait and dubliners, and I don't feel I missed anything i would have noticed had i read them first, If anything, it will blow you away when you go back and read his other work to see how drastically conventional he can be. Ulysses is incredible and you will not regret it. Just dive in and drown and don't go worrying about not understanding it. Bask in the beauty and let your mind wander. Joyce can guide you in and out of your thoughts so well that you might think he was writing you all along.
>>
>>7626707
>I read Ulysses before i read portrait and dubliners, and I don't feel I missed anything i would have noticed had i read them first

sure is pleb in here
>>
>>7626950
>pretends to have read Ulysses
>>
>>7626954
it's only, you know, one of the most popular and renowned books. but nah, no one could've possibly read it.

>projecting your own stupidity this hard
>>
>>7626961
>pretends that he read it because it's popular
>>
>>7626966
>greentexting
>>
>>7626690
dubliners not strictly necessary, though recommended. portrait is a must before Ulysses, however.
>>
>>7626707
this is a bad, wrong post
>>
File: what if.gif (667 KB, 490x248) Image search: [Google]
what if.gif
667 KB, 490x248
>>7626971
>pretending that he's not greentexting
>>
>>7626975
No it isn't.
>>
>>7626982
yes it is.
>>
>>7627063
No it isn't.
>>
Quality thread, you guys

Why don't you all go fuck off back to /b/
>>
>>7626690

Check these dubliners
>>
it's a good idea to read dubliners and portrait first, they all lead really nicely into each other
>>
>>7626690

It's a really good idea to read Joyce chronologically. His style became more experimental with each book, so you can see the progression if you start with Dubliners.
>>
File: 1452718942061.png (289 KB, 435x438) Image search: [Google]
1452718942061.png
289 KB, 435x438
>>7626977
>reddit
>>
>>7627929
>I didn't just concede the entire argument by hiding behind that empty meme of a label
>>
>>7627082
>>7627962
shut the fuck up

shit thread
>>
>>7628107
you're a shit thread. Ulysses is entirely approachable without any previous knowledge. It is a stand alone piece.
>>
>>7626707
>not starting with the wake
Fuck rules, maann
>>
>>7628131
I did, but it was too difficult, so I went to Ulysses.
>>
>>7628127
wew lad

i am laffin'
>>
File: filename.jpg (7 KB, 236x129) Image search: [Google]
filename.jpg
7 KB, 236x129
>>7628107
>I'm on a roll with my hot argumentation
>mowin' 'em down
>makin' way for discussion
>havin' a point
>findin' images with palm trees
>>
1. dubliners
2. portrait of the artist as a young man
3. ulysses
4. finnegans wake
This is the proper way to do it. His four great novels all exist in the same setting, and there is a lot of intertextuality between them; they are pretty much sequels which should be read in order.
>>
read at least portrait, its short and nice anyway
>>
>>7629454
>I don't know how quoting works
>>
>>7626690

it's standalone, though it'd be nice for you to know Steven before you read the first few chapters.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.