[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best edition of Ulysses? I picked up the shitty blue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: ulysses_430.jpg (26 KB, 430x323) Image search: [Google]
ulysses_430.jpg
26 KB, 430x323
What is the best edition of Ulysses? I picked up the shitty blue Dover edition, huge mistake. Is there one the that has footnote or explanation and a good intro?
>>
I'm personally trying to decide between the Alma Classics publication (1939 text) and the Oxford World Classics publication (1922 text). I'm wondering exactly how jarring or confounding the various errors actually are.
>>
America: Vintage paperback, Modern library hardcover, Everyman's Library

UK: Penguin classics annotated
>>
>>7619842
Why don't you go for Everyman's Library? I assure you won't regret.
>>
>>7619884
which one of the three American one do you think is best for first time readers. I've heard Everyman's even has maps
>>
>buying a dover
>of anything
>ever
>>
>>7619901
Does it now
>>
File: 003.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7619918
I just checked the back my copy. There's this, I wouldn't call it a map though.
>>
>>7620287
hence why I said Ive heard. I heard it on /lit/ btw
>>
>>7620287
is there any good sources that explain these? I picked up some things but I feel a lot went over me
>>
>>7619878
Oxford is great, I'm reading it right now and it's really well annotated and well made. Highly recommended.
>>
File: Uliks.png (4 MB, 1677x1245) Image search: [Google]
Uliks.png
4 MB, 1677x1245
>tfw have a shit Wordsworth edition
>tfw had to annotate it myself
>tfw bought a translated edition of Ulysses in my mother tongue later on to see what it's like
>tfw the translated edition had circa a thousand footnotes and the map of Dublin + an essay on the novel written by the translator
>tfw reading it in English while checking the notes in the translated edition
JUST
>>
>>7619842
King James Version
>>
Gabler
>>
>>7620764
nah get gabler + annotations for second/third readthrough not first
>>
Why is the Everyman's library edition regarded as the best?
>>
>>7619906
Nah brah, you're wrong. Dover has a few real gems out there. Especially some of their little $3 anthologies of shit you can't find anywhere.
>>
>>7619842

Stick with it and buy or pirate Ulysses Anotated as well. No simpe annotated edition can compeet with full book of just annotations.
>>
>>7621128
Most of there publications are really shitty cheap prints with no intros or anything of value. The paper is often really cheap and the covers retarded looking. They are on the same level of wordworth as far as shittiness goes
>>
>>7619842
Gabler, bar none. Anyone releasing 1922 editions is cashing in on an expired copyright.
>>
>>7621128
Dover actually has some pretty good mathematics textbooks & music. However, if you use them for anything else, you're probably going to get shit.
>>
>>7621142
The books... are cheap.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.