[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What philosophers/philosophical works should I read before I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Punished Plato.jpg (214 KB, 600x898) Image search: [Google]
Punished Plato.jpg
214 KB, 600x898
What philosophers/philosophical works should I read before I'm allowed to move about freely within philosophy?
>>
>>7615000
Depends how you define 'freely.' The list of essentials for "I just wanna read Nietzsche, Heidegger, Arendt, Wittgenstein, etc." (aka majors) is so much different than "I want to be able to read the latest philosophy publications."

Furthermore, it also depends on what kind of philosophy you're looking to read. For example I'm can move pretty freely within the continental tradition, but analytic? Forget about it.
>>
>>7615000
start with the greeks
>>
>>7615010
If you can move freely within continental literature, shouldn't you be able to read analytic? As continental philosophy only exists in the context of analytic philosophy.
>>
>>7615000
Your mother. (hilarity intended)
>>
Greeks. from there you'll develop the reasoning to move onto more recent philosophy.
>>
>>7615010
This. The required reading for Husserl would be different to a paper on Predicate Logic.
>>
Plato
>>
>>7616537
more like Plebo
>>
>>7615012
>>7615050
>>7616537
Not OP here. I want to read the Greeks but am a philosophy virgin. Is there an introductory work or "required reading" that will help in understanding them without being hugely interpretative or overly-representative of the author's beliefs?
>>
>>7615000
probably atleast Plato and perhaps Aristotle
>>
Plato is the only philosopher. Everybody else is a sophist.
>>
>>7615027
you may have a point as far as comprehending the writing itself goes but I think the person you replied to refers to something like the dramatic difference in scope, i.e. the focus on and thus required prior knowledge of those minute technicalities that are worked on within the analytic school

see >>7615113
>>
>>7616603

If you do plan to 'start with the greeks', be sure to avoid c_ck translators. Many insert facile personal interpretations, aesthetic flourishes, Often they seek moralistic palatability and functional "readability" over loyalty to the source material.
>>
>>7616603
well, I'll warn you off Barnes' Early Greek Philosophy (penguin) from what I've read about it he seems to be biased.

I enjoyed and thought highly of Waterfield's "The First Philosophers" but it was a while ago.
>>
File: arton501.jpg (14 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
arton501.jpg
14 KB, 300x358
You'll cowards don't even think the world is your will.
>>
>>7616603
Just read the pieces related to the death of Socrates to start, and then symposium and republic. That plus a book on the presocratics and you're honestly probably good to move on.
>>
File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>7616603
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.