[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of Philip K. Dick books. Read Man in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 1490_133551139633.jpg (17 KB, 250x314) Image search: [Google]
1490_133551139633.jpg
17 KB, 250x314
What do you guys think of Philip K. Dick books. Read Man in the High Castle and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Elderitch.
>>
File: Rick-Deckard1.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Rick-Deckard1.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
Great books. Lot of great twists. Next book I'll read is Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
>>
>>7611003
androids is the only pkd book i've read and i wasn't really impressed. the characters were pretty bland, the plot was nothing to write home about, and the vocabulary was a little drab and repetitive.

maybe i'll try man in the high castle or valis
>>
>>7610985
ubik is supposed to be his best so i read that but was underwhelmed
on the one hand, i read it straight through
that means it's good
but i was expecting to have my mind blown at least once and that never happened
>>
File: 1446532207767.png (164 KB, 528x468) Image search: [Google]
1446532207767.png
164 KB, 528x468
>>7610985
I really love the Dick.
>>
>>7611024
I assume she shows her own next panel?
>>
>>7611024
>>7611019
I'm about to get to that story soon. Ubik I heard had a lot about in terms of story. Difficult to understand in high school. Still am enjoying reading this guy's stories.
>>
I've only read High Castle, Androids, Three Stigmata, and Ubik. Pretty good books, I think I liked Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep the most. (Also one of my favorite book titles ever).

Ubik I thought was actually the weakest one. Interesting ideas but very predictable, it was still alright though.
>>
>>7611081
I read parts of another book have it around in my room somewhere. I actually own two book collections of his. And no I don't mean an actual collection, but I meant one of those volume things you'll get what I'm talking about if you search it in Amazon.
>>
His prose is mediocre most of the times, maybe because he wrote a lot (I mean, usually gain in quantity is loss in quality), but in creativity he shines. I like how his worldview and his religious experience always show in his works, and how almost every book is connected in some way.

i'm still to read his Exegesis, but even reading till now only his novels, the theological and philosophical aspects of his novels are what fascinates me most.

He kinda "predicted" Matrix (the movie) [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXeVgEs4sOo] and all the talk about reality being a simulation (more in vogue now than ever thanks to quantum physics and the abandon of the deterministic/materialistic universe world view). I mean, he was very influentied by Plato, neoplatonism and gnosticism, it's nothing new, but the blend of this themes with science-fiction was new - and the fusion permited to talk about it in a way never before was possible.

I, too, think Ubik is one of his weakest. My favorites are Flow My Tears and Three Stigmata, but there are many yet to read.
>>
>>7611282
Yeah he predicted a lot.
>>
A maze of death is my favorite book by pkd.

If you are interested in movies that are an homage to pkd, check out waking life and southland tales.
>>
>>7611490
Southland Tales is really bad though.
>>
>>7610985
Unfortunately those are his two best novels, except maybe VALIS.

>>7611003
>>7611014
It's really not that great.

The Man in the High Castle is supposedly PKD's only novel written in multiple heavily edited drafts. Having read most of PKD's works, I have no trouble believing that.

>>7611019
Three Stigmata and VALIS are both crazier than Ubik, which I also though didn't live up to the hype.
>>
Here is the sex scene from Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, enjoy.
A long silence, then. Then, “Oof.” She leaped, galvanized as if lost to the shock of a formal experiment. His pale, dignified, unclothed possession: become a tall and very thin greenless nervous system of a frog; probed to life by outside means. Victim of a current not her own but not protested, in any way. Lucid and real, accepting. Ready this long time.
>>
"Through a Scanner Darkly" and "Cry my Tears the Policeman Said" are both pretty up there as some of my favorite stories. I've read a bunch of his works and they're all pretty easy reads, interesting plots, and good characters. Don't expect too much profundity, but you can expect just really decent and believable sci-fi.

Start with "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and proceed to the two I mentioned before High Castle or Ubik.
>>
>>7611282
How would you know what mediocre prose is, you ignoramus? Your grammar is ridiculously bad. This "PKD was a mediocre writer" meme is bullshit. The man wrote crystal clear almost unnoticable prose while outlining the most bizarre realities. Fuck off with your borrowed false opinions. Pynchon is dated compared to Dick. Deal with it.
>>
>>7611953
PKD wrote mediocre prose. It's okay to like him still. Not being able to tell the difference is also okay.
>>
I've remember liking the fact that in his more dystopian works, the characters were totally engrossed in their own world. Unlike 1984 or Fahrenheit 451, the people in them were not conscious of their world being "wrong" and stayed mostly within the bounds of their societies.

I have not read any of his work in a while though, and am not that familiar with dystopian books in general.
>>
>>7610985
Read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep excellent book
>>
>>7610985
read them all. they're easy, fun and can be quite psychedelic
>>
>>7611960
I never read any work on PKD until recently, I know tell the difference, but, I find it pretty good in my taste, tolerable in a sense although a bit dull, liking scifi won't make me biased if it's mediocre, amateurish is considerable, but in PKD's case, his work for example on Androids Dream of Electric, well, I saw the movie first and compared it a bit and it felt comforting in a sense, the ambiance given is really a bit eerie considering the novel is supposedly about paranoia.
>>
>>7611953

Not that guy, but honestly:

>ignoramus

Please never use that word, for the well-being of your readers and the esteem of yourself. I cannot take you seriously when you use that term. It's exclusively for insufferable try-hards and giant faggots.

I'm not judging the rest of your post, but god damn that single word can stink up everything and make me believe the very worst things about you. It's not rational, but it's what happens, and I'd wager to say I'm not the only one that feels that way.
>>
>>7612038
I feel very much the same way, but since the rest of his post was ill-informed at best and a poor attempt at trolling at worst, I saw neither motivation nor need to reply and point it out.
>>
>>7612038
hear hear, agreed, but, try not wasting your energies on such feeble matters mate
>>
>>7611282
>I like how his worldview and his religious experience always show in his works
I got incredibly bored of it after a while, In my opinion his religion, politic or world views didn't evolve and stayed boringly consistent in every book no matter how distant in setting they were.
>>
File: pkd with cat.jpg (33 KB, 476x447) Image search: [Google]
pkd with cat.jpg
33 KB, 476x447
posting dick in a dick thread
>>
Ubik and Three Stigmata are occasionally encumbered by lackluster prose or characterization, but there are enough moments of brilliance to make it all worthwhile. I highly recommend his short story Faith of our Fathets, which IMO is one of his finest works l.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.