[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most difficult books to read? I want something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: gaddis[1].jpg (62 KB, 350x542) Image search: [Google]
gaddis[1].jpg
62 KB, 350x542
What are the most difficult books to read?

I want something that will really challenge me. I just finished this book and thought it was quite easy.
>>
finnegans wake
the voynich manuscript
>>
>>7607845
depends on what you consider difficult.
probably McElroy
>>
I thought Tristram Shandy was difficult but mostly because Sterne is a douche.
>>
>>7607845
Finnegan's Wake
>>
>>7607847
>>7607869
What can I expect if I read that book?
>>
>>7607918

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/joyce/james/j8f/episode1.html
>>
>>7607845

literally Shakespeare can challenge you if you read it intelligently

I mean you can even say that about an "easy" author like Dickens

looking for "hard to read" books just seems kind of dumb. there's a shitload of much better literature that's so much more meaningful to read and read well than some dumb 20th century "experimental" novels (formal experimentalism ended with Pound and Joyce, and everything afterwards in that "tradition" (((Joyce and Pound would have hated the experimentalism that came after, both of them would prefer Shakespeare to any of that other crap any day... Eliot would have actually preferred Shakespeare to his own poetry))) has been largely devoid of intellect)

Go buy a complete works of the bard, and read it. Stop wasting your time. If you really want "hard" then just go pick up philosophy to the point of Heidegger and Hegel and Kant and other hard to read philosophers you might actually get something out of.
>>
>>7607934
It seems like you think saying Joyce would prefer Shakespeare over post-Joyce experimentalism is somehow insulting to anyone. It's not. Shakespeare is widely considered the greatest writer of all time. The only point in your post that holds any water is where you state that trying to read "hard books" is dumb.
>>
>>7607955
>The only point in your post that holds any water is where you state that trying to read "hard books" is dumb.

It's also the only and entire point of my post

so, uh, my only point holds water then... thanks
>>
>>7607975
Sorry, I meant the whole of your reasoning is garbage.
>>
>>7607985

take what you'd like then. It's late and I'm incoherent. It's really hard to put effort into arguments online, especially here.
>>
>>7607918
The most lyrical piece of gibberish you've ever seen
>>
>>7608028
the other guy is a faggot.
You won
>>
>>7608300
Moron supports a moron on /lit/. Gotta look out for your own.
>>
File: 1449511546468.png (2 MB, 1560x750) Image search: [Google]
1449511546468.png
2 MB, 1560x750
Pic related.

See also, The Ice Shirts by Vollmann.
>>
>>7607869
's's's's's's's's
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.