[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Religion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10
File: books.jpg (64 KB, 1256x707) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
64 KB, 1256x707
What should I read next?
>>
Principia Discordia
>>
>>7607703
Manuscript Found in Saragossa
>>
>>7607703
the god delusion
>>
>>7607703
your own suicide note, just to proofread
>>
Just to ask, did reading any of this make you wanna convert? My sister wants to read more into religion but i'm kinda worried she's gonna be too influenced by it and become a total jesus freak.
>>
>>7607748
best way to become an atheist is to read religious texts
>>
>>7607758
the best way to become religious is to read religious texts with intense footnotes and commentary
>>
if you aren't reading those in conjunction with secondary texts like commentaries you're wasting your time.
>>
Book of the Subgenius
>>
>>7607787
u mena with biased

as a pppl we should stop wasting our time,u know, move beyond good and evil
>>
>>7607832
are you a 45 year old woman who just found this board on her sons laptop
>>
File: 1450324553474.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1450324553474.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>7607748

>Just to ask, did reading any of this make you wanna convert?

No. I was raised Catholic, and I'm still Catholic. If anything, it's solidified my beliefs.

Some of the Non-Canon Gospels are very interesting. Particularly The Gospel of Thomas, and parts about the childhood of Jesus. Extremely interesting, but it all just seems too extreme to be true.

I'm in the middle of reading the Book of Mormon right now, so I'll reserve judgement till I complete it.

The Koran, is basically just ISIS though. Anyone who claims it's peaceful is either lying or they haven't read it.

The Gospel of Judas fascinating as well, but again it just seems too strange to accept as canonical.
>>
File: euphoric_tip.gif (263 KB, 600x903) Image search: [Google]
euphoric_tip.gif
263 KB, 600x903
>>7607758
>>
>>7607880
thanks babe, i'll look into those books soon
>>
File: who u tryin to bait son.jpg (63 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
who u tryin to bait son.jpg
63 KB, 570x428
>>7607889
>>
File: 1449017185112.jpg (175 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1449017185112.jpg
175 KB, 960x960
>>7607805

Why?
>>
File: being.jpg (211 KB, 858x952) Image search: [Google]
being.jpg
211 KB, 858x952
I think you should look into supplementary texts as well - histories and commentaries that add context and nuance. I would also look into the mystic traditions of each religion, it's very interesting.
>>
File: Eriugena.jpg (193 KB, 671x540) Image search: [Google]
Eriugena.jpg
193 KB, 671x540
Continue with the Greeks

t. John Scottus "My dick don't exist so it ain't gonna fit" Eriugena
>>
The Book of Enoch
The Bhagdavat Gita
Analects
Walt Whitman
>>
>>7607940
Yes if you want a good insight into religion in the West, especially Christianity, read Plato + Aristotle and then get Edward Feser's book Aquinas. He's a Catholic classical theologian and pretty good.
>>
The poetic eddas are lovely if you're into that sort of stuff
>>
File: Megurine.Luka.full.436617.jpg (240 KB, 800x611) Image search: [Google]
Megurine.Luka.full.436617.jpg
240 KB, 800x611
Corpus Hermeticum
Dialogues of Plato
The Enneads
The Gnostic Gospels
Works of Pseudo-Dionysus the Areopagite
Confession & City of God
The Kingdom of God is in You
>>
>>7607953
The Gita
Upinishads
Vedas
Mahabarata
Ramayana
puranas

Tao Teh Ching
Tao of Pooh
Te of Piglet

The Dhamapada
The Lotus Sutra

The Egyptian Book of the Dead

The Tibetan Book of the Dead

Confucianism text

Zend Avista

Pah Lavi Textx

Shri Guru Granth Sahib

The Kojiki
the nihongi
the yengishiki
Kogoshui

the malleus maleficarm

tanakh
the talmud

jaina sutras

the kitab-i-aqdas
the kitab-i-iqan

the seven tablets of creation
the koryak texts

the barddas

the most holy trinosophia
the kybelion
the divine pymander
the virgin of the world

The Liber Al
any other Thelamic texts

the path on the rainbow

pistis sophia
>>
>>7608365
Why the meme Tao section?

Swap it with:

Tao Te Ching
Zhuangzi
Liezi
>>
Milton.
>>
File: alan_lee_tolkiens ring_01_med.jpg (124 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
alan_lee_tolkiens ring_01_med.jpg
124 KB, 333x500
>>7607880
I was raised catholic and practice's for many years but have not practice's for many years since then. I am now interested in reviving my faith. Do you have book reccomendations for me? I would like to know the history of the church and a good Bible with notes on the text. Thanks
>>
>>7607733
my suicide note is blank because I want them to never get satisfaction
>>
>>7608697
Not him, but there's a reading list here, and several of the titles are pretty compatible with Catholicism, and they're probably strengthen your faith: http://pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

The Way of the Pilgrim is especially good for faith, and very easy to read.
>>
>>7607758
>>7607889
>>7607896
This whole meme obviously shows you have very little comprehension of the texts you've read. Then again, nobody here seems to have understood anything of what they've read, as proven by >>7607880.

>>7607703
OP, just look at the big names for now, if you've only got the Holy Books down. Depending on your interests, Bhagavad Gita/Mahabharata, a book of Hadith, Hossein Nasr (reading him myself atm, interesting read. I've personally got ''The Garden of Truth'', a work on Sufism), other Islamic authors that I haven't read, but read much about are Ibn Arabi, Ibn Taymiyyah (big author for fundamentalists) Ibn Rushd and Al-Ghazzali. For Christianity maybe some Augustine/Aquinas/Plotinus and all that stuff (I've only read Augustine so far) and introductory books on any religion will do, really, to give you more perspectives.

I think if you read enough of the main works of all religions you'll find that, though religion might be a bit wonky, there is nothing strange about the concept of God at all. Especially the work on Sufism helped me realize this.
>>
As a student of literature or as a curious person about religion

probably jesus and yahweh the names divine for the former
>>
Reading the Quran in English....
>>
>>7608973
>reading the Quran at all

Unlike the Bible it doesn't even have some beautiful and literary passages.
>>
>>7607703
H.L. Mencken's Treatise on the Gods for counterpoint.
>>
File: b8.png (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
5 KB, 225x225
>>7608724
>>
>>7608724
>Al-Ghazzali

Isn't he the reason why Islam is still, to this day, stuck in the middle ages?
>>
>>7608697

http://www.amazon.com/AMERICAN-CATHOLIC-EDTION-HOLY-BIBLE/dp/B000KGXZOC

This is the version I read.
As far as reading material is concerned, The Gospel of Matthew is the most important book in the New Testament (If you're Catholic). Mainly due to his emphasis on the Holy Trinity. So, if you read only 1 book out of the Bible, it should probably be Matthew.
>>
>>7609249
No, that's because of Koran
>>
>>7609154
>hasn't read surah 91
>>
Read biblical apocrypha.
>>
>>7607703

So, sort of related, been very much considering getting myself a KJV bible.

How is it? Beautiful, profound, boring, insane, all of that and more?
>>
>>7609469
get douay-rheims
>>
>>7609469
>How is it? Beautiful, profound, boring, insane, all of that and more?

Remember that the entire Bible is not just one book but a collection of over 60 books. Most of them written by different authors and during different time periods, some of them hundreds of years apart. So yeah, the quality is very fluctuating. It's worth it though imo.
>>
>>7609469
It's one of the most beautiful translations I've read so far. It does commit some mistakes, but if you're just taking in consideration its style, that shouldn't bother you at all.
>>
>>7609469

OP here.
I've never read the King James version, since I'm Catholic. But, this anon >>7609568
summed it up pretty well.

Since I'm Catholic, I only really accept the New Testament as canonical (Particularly Matthew's portion) The Old Testament has plenty of great books too though. Genesis, Exodus, Job, The Proverbs etc are all amazing books. I'll admit there are boring portions of the Bible as well (Leviticus, Numbers, The Acts) It's a mix of both.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.