[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best translation of 'The Idiot'?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: burns_dostoyevksy_cover.jpg (211 KB, 378x640) Image search: [Google]
burns_dostoyevksy_cover.jpg
211 KB, 378x640
What's the best translation of 'The Idiot'?
>>
Do you think you're an intellectual?
>>
>>7606482
>yeah
>not if you're reading translations lol

Nice try, nerd
>>
probably Polish or Czech or whatever
>>
>>7606482

No, not really tbhf
>>
>>7606489

lol'ed.
>>
>>7606489
I was gonna do the old Plato on him actually faggot >:(.

>>7606492
Heh. I guess that's why you're reading Dostoyevsky.
>>
>>7606478
I have nothing to compare it with but I enjoyed the P&V translation well enough to consider the book great.
>>
>>7606499

Please use your superior intellect and abundance of wisdom to instruct me, a lowly pleb, as to which English translation I should read.
>>
>>7606518
Try this one: Father Sergius - Leo Tolstoy (Maudes Translation)
>>
>>7606528

b-but I've already read that
>>
>>7606478
just read garnett. oldie but a goodie.
>>
How new are you OP? Didn't you see any of the Dostoevsky translation threads over the last months? Years? There is a one in the catalog right now!
How much longer can this go on?
>>
There is a translation thread, a qtddtot thread. And probably a bunch of Russian lit threads already you could have asked this question in.

Anyway go with avsey or McDuff.
>>
>>7606478
how come translation is always a point of contention in russian and greek but hardly in any other language? you never have someone asking who the best kafka translator is.
>>
>>7606478
baka desu senpai
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.